Don't shoot the messanger!

More
01 Aug 2008 12:00 #229571 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
riverroad wrote:

Loco, in the first place, I do try to keep the noise levels down while entering or leaving my 'hood. I'll gear up and run as few rpms as possible. But when I'm on the highway, I'm not making any more noise than your average eighteen wheeler.

Thats a good thing and I think the hood should thank you! I do hope you don't just mean YOUR hood but I'll take it that you don't. Far as I am concerned the open road is yours....I don't really care for your noise on the open road but I concede it to you.

And deer whistles just don't work. As a matter of fact, I think they just piss the deer off. I had them on my old truck when a rutting buck actually lowered its head, charged down an embankment and rammed my quarter panel.

A rutting buck will charge a bush moving from the breeze!! Did you ever see the video of the moose mounting the moose statue or the buck fighting itself in the reflection in a sliding door? Just proves the weird stuff "crack" will make you do!:woohoo:

And it only takes me a minute to coast down the hill and out of the 'hood. After that, I'm on the highway, next to all the other noise makers.

;) The I'm only doing what others are doing defense. There is a reason that doesn't hold up in court...:dry:

OTOH, on a weekend morning and I'm just going for a putt around town, I'll put my tractor muffler in. Then I'm as quiet as any new bike.

Sounds like a intelligent design...kudos! ;)

But by the afternoon, my little town gets noisy anyway with all the power boats on the river, the hundreds of Hells Angel wannabes hoppin the bars, not to mention a couple thousand lawnmowers making their noise, so I'll pull my muffler out and make noise right along with them.

Lawns must be mowed but I don't know of anyone running unmuffled mowers. Hells Angels won't want to come into towns where they get fined. I know the state chapter president and they are not looking for trouble. Maybe different in your local and we had a house taken over by the Deciples but decided to leave when they found out they couldn't have their way. So what are you going to do if they do adopt the noise laws and enforce them? Just like to know.

As far as getting my ass handed to me, sure it can happen.
But, growing up with an Airborne Ranger for a dad, plus doing my own stint, I have shown more than one badass that things aren't always what they seem. But I digress. I'm never the opening act, just the finale.

Yep did my own show and squashed more real badass stuff under foot in a Southeast Asia Nature Walk that I have ever ran into here in the states. But like I said I never met a REAL badass here or there that said they were a badass.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
01 Aug 2008 12:38 #229575 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Locozuna wrote:
So what are you going to do if they do adopt the noise laws and enforce them? Just like to know.

][/quote]

We did have some clown that was appointed town treasurer, that made it his duty to enforce the noise ordinances, but he finally gave up and left.
He was a real nut job. One time a friend of mine had just got back from Russia, so we had a little welcome home party for him. We hired a folk singer with a non amped acoustic guitar to play some soft music at the party. He played really soft music. You know, Simon and Garfunkel kinda stuff.
Well this clown who lives five houses down, called the cops on us. Cops came, we toned it down even more than it was. We could barely hear it over the birds and crickets chirping. He called the cops again, saying he could still hear it.
I'm all about respecting people's sensitivities, but there is a point of intolerance which I have a hard time tolerating myself. But the thing that really rattled my cage about the whole thing was that the complainer himself is a guitar instructor, and holds his private classes on his back porch where the rest of the neighborhood can hear it. And from the sounds coming from his student's guitars, he's not that good of an instructor.
I can do without that kind of hipocracy.
Besides alienating everybody in town with his selfrightiousness, he kept pissing off the cops, which also happen to be my workout buddies.
Hell, he even complained about our seven gun salutes everytime we bury a fellow veteran at the American Legion cemetary. This whole town is full of old veterans. And a lot of them ride noisy ass Harleys.
In short, things got uncomfortable for him, and he ended up moving to another town up the road.
As far as the ordinances, like I said, the whole town turns into a big Harley event just about every weekend, and they spend a lot of money here. The merchants just love the noise. Sure the ordinace is on the books, but whether they're enforced still comes down to majority rules around here.

More
01 Aug 2008 12:59 #229579 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
01 Aug 2008 13:08 #229580 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
roy-b-boy-b wrote:

Let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? I think things have been pretty civil so far. Just riders expressing there stories and opinions on a topic that effects us.

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

More
01 Aug 2008 16:01 #229593 by Locozuna
Yeah I think it has been a pretty interesting and civil discussion also. Nobody is throwing around threats or f-bombs and some new ground and thoughts have come out.

And Riverroad if those in your town like the noise more power to them. While I'm not sure if a vote were taken the majority would agree but they just might. The economy does drive communities. But those coming to your town usually have to go through other towns...they may not be interested in contributing to your coffers. Even spring break towns have decided the commotion is not worth the money influx and that is a hell of a lot of $$$$$.

As for this complainer did anyone complain about his noise? While I don't believe a time of day excuse is valid since everyone has different schedules, around here for parties and construction the ordinance is restricted to make your noise between 7:30am to 10:00pm. You get 1 warning at 10 and if complaints are again filed and deemed valid by the cops you are disbanded.

The Veterans salute is pure nonsense. But I have heard of other communities trying to exclude them. Some citing the cost of the salute itself which volunteers then took up. It was a little embarrassing at what some of these groups were charging to perform the honor ceremony. I had always thought the military performed them but they charged for them too.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
01 Aug 2008 18:00 #229607 by kztee
Replied by kztee on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
I can agree with many of the points and counter-point made in this thread. What I am most concerned about is the fact that we are turning in to communists by making more and more laws. Here in Iowa the law was recently passed that made smoking in bars and restaurants illegal. Now, I do not smoke (quit 6 years ago) and I do enjoy the new smoke-free atmosphere, but I do not like that we have passed another law telling individuals what they can and can't do in public. Soon enough aour 'by the people, for the people' government will be telling us what kind of motorcycle we have to ride.

1977 KZ 1000A - Currently rebuilding
1980 KZ 750 LTD - Mostly stock daily rider
1979 KZ 1000 LTD - Parts bike and/or future project
1979 KZ 1000 ST
1980 GS 750 L
2003 ZRX 1200 R

More
01 Aug 2008 20:22 #229625 by roy-b-boy-b
I tried to buy a stock exhaust on eBay to quiten down my Graves county popper and am having no luck.

Maybe the exhaust are going North East!:laugh: Roy

More
01 Aug 2008 21:05 #229636 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
kztee wrote:

I can agree with many of the points and counter-point made in this thread. What I am most concerned about is the fact that we are turning in to communists by making more and more laws. Here in Iowa the law was recently passed that made smoking in bars and restaurants illegal. Now, I do not smoke (quit 6 years ago) and I do enjoy the new smoke-free atmosphere, but I do not like that we have passed another law telling individuals what they can and can't do in public. Soon enough aour 'by the people, for the people' government will be telling us what kind of motorcycle we have to ride.

I think that would be Fascist, not Communist, but both forms suck, although I think I would prefer to live in a purely Communist State than I would a purely Fascist State :)

Not that there's any such thing as a pure either one.

KD9JUR

More
01 Aug 2008 21:10 - 01 Aug 2008 21:40 #229637 by kzkx
Replied by kzkx on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Here in Oklahoma most riders make their bikes as loud as possible. If a law was considered here, the capital would be surrounded by bikes protesting just like they did about helmet laws. Louder pipes are good if they are within reason. Saying this I have strait pipes with 2 inch baffles. Every bike I have, has had the stock pipes removed and aftermarkets added, but nothing too loud. Around here the harleys are not as bad as the v-stars and hondas wanting to out do the harley croud.

81 XS 400 Cafe Project
82 Seca 400
83 KZ 750 LTD
83 KZ 750 Hardtail
98 YZF 600R gone
OKC, OK
Last edit: 01 Aug 2008 21:40 by kzkx.

More
02 Aug 2008 05:41 #229650 by roy-b-boy-b
I found a set with a buy it now. The set i have has one baffle removed and the other one is still installed.

Sounds like a briggs with a burned valve.

I want to sell this bike so i can get another Ninja.
I rode the 600R at the meet and it was awsome. I don't recall what it sounded like all i remember is Zoom,Zoom,Zoom.
Roy

More
02 Aug 2008 07:11 #229654 by Locozuna
kztee wrote:

Taking a point to the absurd extreme like the "telling us what kind of motorcycle we have to ride" really does little to drive your point home. And the "by the people for the people" is just the point. If the majority says they want it quiet "That is the people!". They are not doing it just to piss YOU off. They are honestly pissed off. And if there are individuals who say "oh to hell with them I'll do as I please." tell me what other course of action is there but to establish a law. If there wasn't these kinds of people you are right there wouldn't need a law. You have a right to fight the law or try and get it changed...what more do you want? Maybe a (insert your name here) exclusion from having to follow a "of the people for the people law"? As soon as someone is told that their actions are not permitted they start screaming "Attica, Attica, Attica!" or that we are losing our constitutional freedoms. Usually without thinking about both sides of the issue and just saying I want it and I'll do it. The point is this is America, but that doesn't mean a free for all attitude and unmitigated freedoms across the board. There are ways to make laws and remove or block laws that are legal but there is always the possibility that the majority will not agree with you and you will lose the battle. In some other places THAT is a right you don't get and that makes America great. Freedom of and freedom from are synonymous but are very cleverly subject to the will of the majority. There is no better system for a society. I am afraid you are looking at it as individuals.

Heck I smoked for more than 30 years so did our parents. But it is a poison that is being emitted. You want to smoke all by yourself...fine. I also believe in "right to die". But in public or with children present smoking makes no sense. In fact you are hurting (poisoning) those around you. BUT there are those who would smoke anyway with laws in place to punish them. It would be a nice "My Little Pony" little fantasy place if everyone saw the reality of it and just stopped but we are humans who come with all kinds of egos and intelligence. Sometimes a threat is necessary before an individual does the right thing. Hense laws.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
02 Aug 2008 10:25 #229689 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Like I said, I think most states already have noise laws, they just do not enforce them.

Seems to me that those who want to violate those laws claiming "nobody tells me what I can do" should look over their shoulder. If you don't have to obey the laws, why should the idiot in the Hummer behind you? Or, what is to stop someone taking a plug wrench with a long handle and over-torquing all your spark plugs - that would stop the noise! One big bang and it's all over 'cept the pushing!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650