Don't shoot the messanger!

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
31 Jul 2008 12:42 - 31 Jul 2008 12:58 #229403 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
lame old "loud pipes saves lives" bullcRAP
Don't know if thats true or not , But i do know quiet ones sure the h3ll dontup your chances of survival a lot either:( guess you have to live it to appreciate it!B)

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!
Last edit: 31 Jul 2008 12:58 by Scrapper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scrapper
  • User
More
31 Jul 2008 13:13 #229410 by Scrapper
Oh BTW ! Around Ontario at least the gestepo are pulling bikes over with noisy exhausts and runnig a stick up their tailpipes to see if they have a baffle in them :ohmy:
No baffle get you a ticket, and your bike pulled off the road till you fix the problem . I have cobra slash tips exaust on my Marauder and Yes Im running the baffles and yes they are super loud with out them too loud for me with out and a loss of low end power, But much better than stock exhaust

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
31 Jul 2008 13:23 #229411 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Like I said - if you make the claim, show the data. I very much doubt if there is ANY data that shows that loud pipes have saved a single life, and the contrary may be true! I have witnessed a rider on a no-mufflers Harley pull out of a junction where everyone had stopped for a fire truck! Did the few seconds the truck was delayed result in a loss of life? The argument that you want to be heard goes both ways - if you can't hear things around you, it may endanger you too!

However, there are numerous noise ordinances, and most places are simply enforcing that ordinance. You do not have the right to make noise as you wish - please be respectful of that. If you are not respectful of my rights, how dare you expect car drivers to be respectful of yours?

Is the noise really worth it? What does it say about your character? Is it "look at me, I'm a badass" because, in fact, you really have no personality at all? Or are you just a lemming following all the others over the cliff?

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
31 Jul 2008 14:39 #229420 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Does this mean I have to add a 3rd gage to my bike marked in dB's? Are the cops going to duct tape a microphone to the end of their radar guns? Isn't there already a law against "disturbing the peace?"

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

More
31 Jul 2008 15:35 #229427 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
l0g1c wrote:

Does this mean I have to add a 3rd gage to my bike marked in dB's? Are the cops going to duct tape a microphone to the end of their radar guns? Isn't there already a law against "disturbing the peace?"

Most places that actively enforce the noise ordinances just set up special equipment alongside the road and measure the sound as you pass by.

KD9JUR

More
31 Jul 2008 16:04 #229428 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
I love all Motorcycles B)
Loud ones and quite ones.
I also have one of each. A 4-1 race pipe and the stock setup. The 4-1 is loud but not to loud as to attract scrutiny and keep me from hearing whats going on around me.
I do think people hear me coming as I seem to be given a bit more room when I drive the loud one. Of course there is no way to document it scientifically.
MC are the greenest vehicles on the road and IMO they should be given more rights than other vehicles to encourage there usage. Here in California we have the right to share lanes:woohoo: and use carpool lanes. For those two reasons I will never move. Unless other states areas follow. They do have a helmet law but I have no problem with that one. I pray that stupid noise ordinance comes here.
I also live near a busy Hwy and here all kinds of loud vehicles go by. Seeing how it was there before I moved there I sure would not complain about it. If it bothered me I would move.

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

• Scrapper
  • User
More
31 Jul 2008 16:23 #229432 by Scrapper
johNLA Said} is loud but not to loud as to attract scrutiny and keep me from hearing whats going on around me.
I do think people hear me coming as I seem to be given a bit more room when I drive the loud one. B)
Same point I was trying to convay.. Thanks John:)

More
31 Jul 2008 17:27 - 31 Jul 2008 17:29 #229438 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
It's just that those who usually say loud pipes etc. Do other things to reduce their "survival" chances like ride with no helmet or in shorts and a tee shirt. Plus if you are really into that saving my arse stuff you would have a q-switch (headlight pulser) a brakelight pulser, a dayglow paint scheme, a Hurley style lightbar, the best handeling machine available, armored suit and a heavy duty insurance policy. BUT most are more concerned with how they look on a bike which includes how the bike sounds. I have to laugh at that stuff but when someone just puffs out their chest and says no one is going to make me do anything I don't want to do it feels like they put a chip on their shoulder and is daring me to knock it off. I've never had a problem doing just that. Argue with common sense, logic or knowledge cause if you pull a gun use it or lose it. Hell I'll make every effort to see your point and listen to your LOGIC but back up your facts and keep your hands in sight!:woohoo: That goes for people who play with knives too!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
Last edit: 31 Jul 2008 17:29 by Locozuna. Reason: Brain fart!

More
31 Jul 2008 17:49 #229440 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
I was at the stunt show at the Ohio meet and the MX guys were jumping a ramp. The announcer was getting the croud hyped up by telling the croud the louder you yell the better the tricks will be.

This kid on this MX bike with chrome expansion chamber just cogged thrid gear and the announcer says he can year you about now, lets hear some noise. I laughed. That kid couldn't hear nothing but that 250 screaming.

I can't hear nothing but the wind when i ride. Some one has some good hearing. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
31 Jul 2008 18:27 #229454 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
steell wrote:

Are you saying that I should wear earplugs inside my own home?

Not at all,Steve.it was only a joke,bud.
I can understand where you're coming from,when you have to hear it all the time,living so close to fast-paced traffic.That WOULD suck.

I suppose if I too lived close to a highway,I might feel the same way.

I'm one of those that DO believe in louder pipes,and I've proven it to myself(and others) over the years.
where I live(in the mountains)we don't get the big city traffic,but I've been told by cagers that I wasn't seen,but I WAS heard...good enough for me.
I just returned from a 1400 mile trip up north,and I have to say that I had only 1 issue with a cager(pretty good,eh).

Let the laws change if they have to.Do WE,the little peons that we are,have any say in it?...didn't think so.

And absolutely no offense to any senior-citizens,but I am so sick and beeping tired of crab-apples bitching and complaining about everything they they have no personal experience with.
Any time I've been cut off by a senior,and then try to get their attention to let them know what they did...I get treated like I'm a virus,and they take off,continuing on their hunting-trip.
I've been called a lot of rotton names by seniors,and they always try to make it look like it's the bikers fault.
I love it when I hear,"Your damned bike is TOO LOUD!";)
Yup...they hear me,but STILL insist that they have more rights on the road,than I do.

I'll keep my bike loud until I have to go to court.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
31 Jul 2008 18:38 #229460 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
Amen!

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
31 Jul 2008 19:47 #229472 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Don't shoot the messanger!
I live in a rural area alongside a State Highway, and I moved here 50 years ago. At that time there wasn't much traffic, there wasn't any thumpers, and there wasn't any 80 inch Harleys blasting by with straight pipes. And I don't think I should have to sell the house and move just so others can do what they want.

Truthfully, the four cylinder bikes don't bother me, it's the thumpers and straight piped Harleys that drive me crazy.

And I'd almost bet that some of those Harley riders are cops.

KD9JUR