Racecrafters project pics.

More
17 Aug 2024 14:19 #903378 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Racecrafters project pics.
Is the drive chain rubbing block made of Delrin? Is it a three-piece affair?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2024 14:43 #903382 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Racecrafters project pics.

Yes! Polyacetal and 3 piece. 
On the last two builds i made them out of solid block and milled out the slot for the swingarm but this time i couldn't find any large enough that wasn't so expensive it needed a mortgage so went for a slab of 30mm and built it in sections.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
17 Aug 2024 15:09 - 17 Aug 2024 15:10 #903385 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Racecrafters project pics.

On the left is the supplied rotor mount for the large taper non keyway MK2, J and GPZ cranks.
And on the right is my rotor adaptor for the earlier keyed crank which i made using a modified steel core with key slot from a spare z900 rotor i had.

And this is it installed along with the rotor and quite a few other mods it needed before it would fit.

Thanks for sharing. This looks like it could be a solution for my KZ750 track/race project. I'll have to make my own engine cover obviously and who knows what else, but this looks like it may be easier and better than what I was previously dreaming up.

Do you know the dimensions of the MKII crank taper? 750 twin tapers from 25mm to 20mm over a 25mm length.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2024 15:10 by DoctoRot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
17 Aug 2024 17:27 - 17 Aug 2024 17:31 #903388 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Racecrafters project pics.

I use a pice of an old truck wide fiber cam timing belt as wear protection!!!
Get it for free, less than cheap, quick and easy to re-new!!!
Last edit: 17 Aug 2024 17:31 by Scirocco.

More
18 Aug 2024 03:08 #903390 by zed1015

Thanks for sharing. This looks like it could be a solution for my KZ750 track/race project. I'll have to make my own engine cover obviously and who knows what else, but this looks like it may be easier and better than what I was previously dreaming up.

Do you know the dimensions of the MKII crank taper? 750 twin tapers from 25mm to 20mm over a 25mm length.
Yes! the Mk11 crank is 25mm down to 20mm over approx 25mm ( I have one here that is going in my turbo build ).
The actual taper angle is the same as the earlier crank ( although on a smaller diameter ) and most Kawasakis seem to use the same angle.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vinsky

More
22 Aug 2024 11:30 #903545 by WoodheadB2
Replied by WoodheadB2 on topic Racecrafters project pics.
WOW!!!  I love it! Quick question....what did you use for the rear sets and shifter on the shaft. Also, what thickness was the plate for the clutch slave cylinder/countershaft bearing?  Thanks for the info. 

Current ride: 2022 Trimph Tiger Sport 660
First ride: My buddies dad-built mini bike circa 1968
First real bike: 1971 Hodaka Super Rat
Favorite ride: 1987 Yamaha FZR1000
Favorite road: Cherohala Skyway
Favorite movie: On Any Sunday of course!

More
22 Aug 2024 11:56 - 22 Aug 2024 11:57 #903547 by zed1015

WOW!!!  I love it! Quick question....what did you use for the rear sets and shifter on the shaft. Also, what thickness was the plate for the clutch slave cylinder/countershaft bearing?  Thanks for the info. 

Outrigger plate is 10mm dural but you could use 8mm.
Footrests are Yamaha R1 mated to ZXR levers with some one off nylon pivot bushes .

And the mounts from 16mm alloy plate.

The splined linkage arm is home made using one of these bought splined knuckles which was later zinc plated.

• Last edit: 22 Aug 2024 11:57 by zed1015.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

More
    22 Aug 2024 12:16 #903549 by WoodheadB2
    Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. Do you (or anyone out there) know if the shift shaft the same size as other newer kwaks? Like ZX's of different models. I don't have access to a welder. 
    Did I tell ya I love that bike?

More
    22 Aug 2024 13:54 #903557 by zed1015

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. Do you (or anyone out there) know if the shift shaft the same size as other newer kwaks? Like ZX's of different models. I don't have access to a welder. 
    Most Kawasaki and Yamaha use the same gear spline.
    I've used Yamaha R1/R6 and ZX10R aluminium ones on previous builds.

More
    23 Aug 2024 04:42 #903575 by asphalt900
    Replied by asphalt900 on topic Racecrafters project pics.
    Might i say zed, I LOVE Your attention to detail both mechanical and cosmetic. And the machine just "looks right", no wire-wheel and hacksaw builds in Your shed!! I'm betting it's going to be one of those bikes that "feels" tight and right when underway too, if that makes sense. Top Shelf!! 
    The following user(s) said Thank You: zed1015

More
    23 Aug 2024 07:26 - 23 Aug 2024 09:11 #903585 by zed1015

Might i say zed, I LOVE Your attention to detail both mechanical and cosmetic. And the machine just "looks right", no wire-wheel and hacksaw builds in Your shed!! I'm betting it's going to be one of those bikes that "feels" tight and right when underway too, if that makes sense. Top Shelf!! 
    Thanks.
    I'm a bit ocd so spend many hours staring at what i've done and then decide somethings not quite right, chuck it in the bin and start again.
    There's probably nearly enough discarded parts to build a slightly worse version of this bike in the reject pile   .
    Just been out giving it a few shake down runs and plug chops and it's not dissapointing.
    All the frame bracing etc has paid off and it handles better than me, although the jettings a bit rich despite me leaning everything off , removing my air correctors and then ditching the foam filters too so some more tweaking to do.
    Those Katana 1000 VM32 ovalbores are a bit tricky to get right but it runs clean and pulls strong though so not far off and good enough to get me to a local custom show next Monday if the weather holds up..

Last edit: 23 Aug 2024 09:11 by zed1015.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

More
    23 Aug 2024 08:34 #903587 by WoodheadB2

Most Kawasaki and Yamaha use the same gear spline.
    I've used Yamaha R1/R6 and ZX10R aluminium ones on previous builds.

Again, thanks for the info. I'm going to go shopping on Fleabay for something that will work.