Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1974 kz trike 06 Dec 2019 08:36 #814983

• Shankkole
  • Shankkole's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141
Nice shovel Kawie ! thanks for the compliments as well everyone.I got one carb close to ready for sonic cleaning, guess which one? man these castings are rough they won't get as shiny as some parts but they are closer to cool !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1974 kz trike 06 Dec 2019 21:57 #815015

• Shankkole
  • User
I don't know how this thing ran ! compression at 110-90-125-120. We shall see inside next week.A lot of questions on the rear end from all so, its a 1951 harley servi rear end, flipped I just have noticed. So I have drain holes facing up, no good but can be addressed. The swingarm is modeled after the servi swingarm then welded to what I assume is a cut up original kawi mount.Some pics
Attachments:

1974 kz trike 06 Dec 2019 22:00 #815016

• Shankkole
  • User
The oil cooler was mounted to the seat box thingy sorry its in the view.
Attachments:

1974 kz trike 07 Dec 2019 05:39 #815025

• deano68
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
found thsi pic on the net awhile ago,munsters special shed or funerals!!!!
76 KZ 400
78 KZ 650
82 Z 750(4)
80 KZ1000 ltd project
82 CSR 1000 work in progress
Attachments:

1974 kz trike 07 Dec 2019 06:49 #815030

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
I have a basic trike question. Why car tires in the back? It seems to me that compared to a pair of stock wheels and tires, that those tires add a lot of unsprung weight and a lot of rolling resistance. I suppose there is also added aerodynamic resistance. Is there any advantage?
I have always suspected that it was an esthetic choice, but one that I would not choose.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

1974 kz trike 07 Dec 2019 07:24 #815033

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1951

TexasKZ wrote: I have a basic trike question. Why car tires in the back? It seems to me that compared to a pair of stock wheels and tires, that those tires add a lot of unsprung weight and a lot of rolling resistance. I suppose there is also added aerodynamic resistance. Is there any advantage?
I have always suspected that it was an esthetic choice, but one that I would not choose.

Good Question
Looks Im sure are at the top of the reasons why.
Plus , but not needed Weight carrying increased capacity
Stability increased
Negative More unsprung weight as you noted
More rolling resistance Need more power.
More mass to stop , Bigger brakes needed
But I do Love the look
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ

1974 kz trike 07 Dec 2019 07:26 #815034

• Shankkole
  • User
The harley servi-car trike was designed to be a tow truck delivery type of thing so the standard car tire width was added as they designed them to haul other things not just their own weight. Then people like me do crazy shit that pushes the limit, but to me if it aint custom its crap.(restored IS custom because its built not bought)hand inspected parts, love. As for the tire weigh,t yup they are heavy on the ride. I have to add a strong chain tensioner and may have to upgrade clutch springs at the least if I want to pull out in traffic swiftly. Its mostly a dragster look and remember everyone ,lots of different bikes for lots of uses. I feel too many people try the this or that argument with everything, get more than one and you have choices. Happy Bike Mad bike fast bike cool bike ( they all cool ) but no real performance from my size tires for sure. The harley rear is the weak link, it will give in before this engine does I bet, hopefully when I'm still able to rebuild it one last time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ, Street Fighter LTD

1974 kz trike 07 Dec 2019 07:30 #815035

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1951
Now here is where a car tire really shines
Dont even need a kickstand
Merry Christmas
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

1974 kz trike 07 Dec 2019 09:02 #815042

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Shankkole wrote: "to me if it aint custom its crap."

Thank you for letting us know where you stand. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

1974 kz trike 07 Dec 2019 12:24 #815047

• Shankkole
  • User

650ed wrote: Shankkole wrote: "to me if it aint custom its crap."

Thank you for letting us know where you stand. Ed

The next line also read restored is custom.

Ha, I knew someone would take it wrong.
I will try to explain my view with more detail. I have admiration for a kept piece of machinery (not bought and abused). the moment you can improve something but you do not you have limited yourself. I understand the love of a stock clean machine, but those to me are custom once they have been handworked (but one cannot tell easily) at a glance .A stock anything has tons of engineering and design , but does anything really have an off the shelf fit for you? I am not one who pays top dollar for something new then buys expensive add on parts. I find abused projects and then make them fit me.
I believe stock, standard for daily driver is best for most folks. If you want to ride what they sold of the showroom do it ! HELLS YEAH but the moment you change ANYTHING its custom .If you take the thing apart and hand sand, file, clean, tidy up wires etc to me its custom. BUT I like you only responded or felt the need to address that one comment . For real I am easy going ,and not saying any of this in a sarcastic tone Think of my voice as less tough condescending type and more of a hippy dippy preaching machine love ! not possessions !

Last edit: by Shankkole.

1974 kz trike 07 Dec 2019 16:33 #815054

• Shankkole
  • User
By raising the rear about 2.5 inches it levels the stance more, I will need to shorten the girder spring as well, due to the light weight on the front end its stiff for this application. There used to be a guy close that would adjust spring length of any size and re heat treat them for cheap, gotta track him or search the webs. I am making a rear reinforcement plate to help reduce twisting of the swingarm with the axle width at play.This will also be the new shock mount point on swingarm. Two shiny Mikunis barely sitting look nice though!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: AtLarge

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

1974 kz trike 07 Dec 2019 21:24 #815065

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Nice work straightening the mouth of that carb.
I wonder what the dude was thinking when he installed the rear end upside down?? :silly:
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough