Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

kz750e Resto-Mod 12 Nov 2019 09:44 #813913

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 256
Your bike is a true inspiration! I can only hope mine comes out half that nice...
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz750e Resto-Mod 14 Nov 2019 06:06 #813983

• Daftrusty
  • Daftrusty's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 182
Thank you! You are well on your way with yours.

kz750e Resto-Mod 31 Jan 2020 12:20 #818311

• Daftrusty
  • User

Dr. Gamma wrote: I am kinda partial toward Bassani pipes. Your's came out looking great!!! You NEED to find you one of those 3 inch baffles for your pipe!!! I would love to hear your bike with that pipe at some high RPM's!!!! Where did you find the BIG Bassani emblem??? It does make the whole bike look better!!! I thought I was the only one with the old Bassani emblem.

Well Dr. Gamma, you got me thinking and so I went back to the internet and bought a bunch of stainless bits and after a whole lot of thinking and tinkering I came up with the closest I could get to a Bassani 3" race baffle.
Making the end cap took me the longest time to figure out. I started with a cheap fart can baffle for import cars and after some work on a lathe and extruding the hole to 3" with a steel cone, it turned out almost perfect.
And why make one baffle when you can make two for twice the price. So now I have one for the mystery Suzuki Bassani system that I took the giant Bassani emblem off of. (Now that it has a baffle, I need to sell it as well...)
I will have to wait till warmer weather to install the new baffle and get a video of it running. So stay tuned...

Making the end cap

Finished product.
Attachments:

kz750e Resto-Mod 31 Jan 2020 22:43 #818328

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
nice work. looks fantastic

kz750e Resto-Mod 08 Feb 2020 11:14 #818823

• Skidmark
  • User

Daftrusty wrote: I wish life would allow me to have so many projects to choose from. So many cool bikes, so little time.
I'm still holding onto the dream of getting a gs750es and making a clone of this. I saw this picture years ago and instantly fell in love with it.

That was the very first motorcycle I bought new. I had over 50k miles on it by the time I sold it. It was heavily modified by then! I had it on track days at Riverside Raceway the last year before it closed (yes, I am old...), and Willow Springs Raceway. I loved that bike!
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2

kz750e Resto-Mod 08 Feb 2020 13:20 #818828

• Daftrusty
  • User
I have that exact Yoshimura exhaust system for the gs750es hanging in my basement, but that’s as far as I have gotten. I have yet to find the bike to put on.

kz750e Resto-Mod 14 Feb 2020 08:20 #819288

• Skidmark
  • User
Sorry for the faded colors, this picture is fairly old! This is at the now gone Orange County International Raceway in Irvine, CA, before I began modifying the bike. In stock trim I ran 12.56 at 112 mph.

Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike, howardhb

kz750e Resto-Mod 25 Mar 2020 12:30 #821723

• Mr. E
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Its been a pleasure reading this thread, I look forward to giving the 6spd swap a shot in the future.
1981 KZ750 Chopper, 1975 KZ400 , 1984 GPZ750 track build , Res 1977 kz1000a ,1977 kz1000a ...ect.

kz750e Resto-Mod 25 Mar 2020 12:48 #821726

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664

Daftrusty wrote:

Dr. Gamma wrote: I am kinda partial toward Bassani pipes. Your's came out looking great!!! You NEED to find you one of those 3 inch baffles for your pipe!!! I would love to hear your bike with that pipe at some high RPM's!!!! Where did you find the BIG Bassani emblem??? It does make the whole bike look better!!! I thought I was the only one with the old Bassani emblem.

[/quote

Well Dr. Gamma, you got me thinking and so I went back to the internet and bought a bunch of stainless bits and after a whole lot of thinking and tinkering I came up with the closest I could get to a Bassani 3" race baffle.
Making the end cap took me the longest time to figure out. I started with a cheap fart can baffle for import cars and after some work on a lathe and extruding the hole to 3" with a steel cone, it turned out almost perfect.
And why make one baffle when you can make two for twice the price. So now I have one for the mystery Suzuki Bassani system that I took the giant Bassani emblem off of. (Now that it has a baffle, I need to sell it as well...)
I will have to wait till warmer weather to install the new baffle and get a video of it running. So stay tuned...

I did not see your post on the Bassani baffles you made until today.

I was in the hospital getting my other hip replaced back on those days back in January!!!!

You should have made a few extra of those 3 inch baffles. I sold the last 2 I had on Ebay for 300 dollars each!!!!! I also had two other guys asked if I had anymore of them. One of them even offered me 350 dollars if I would sell him one of those I already sold on Ebay. It was tempting, but I didn't want to chump the guy that already paid me for it!!!! There are a few vintage racers still looking for those baffles. I do know that Darryl Bassani did make one 3 inch baffle for a old friend of his recently!!!!

Making the end cap

Finished product.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

kz750e Resto-Mod 25 Mar 2020 18:18 #821763

• Daftrusty
  • User
That’s a cool idea as I could very easily make more of them and I know I could probably do a better job the second time around. But unless I knew I could sell them for a decent price, I would lose money on them. Stainless exhaust parts are really expensive, especially the oddball baffle I have to cannibalize to make the end cap. I even tried to get Cone Engineering to make some 3” end caps and they told me to kick rocks. I don’t expect people will want pay top dollar for a shameless Bassani copy.

kz750e Resto-Mod 03 May 2020 09:10 #824859

• Daftrusty
  • User
And then there were two...
Since I now have lots of free time, I got my Zephyr 550 out of mothballs and gave it a make over.

Attachments:

kz750e Resto-Mod 06 May 2020 07:55 #825108

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
soo seems kinda like the elephant in the room.
but,
gold stripes for the zephyr???

asking for a friend ,lol

looks good man!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0