Day 1, let the fun begin!

More
03 Jun 2016 06:15 #729784 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Day 1, let the fun begin!
Ooops! Dang it! Just clicked a button by mistake and lost the whole note I was about to send here. Still too much blood in my caffeinestream I guess?

So pics - We cannot see pictures you upload to your profile. Only you can. When I go to your profile, I see only two tabs - Posts and Thank You. Sucks because I wanted to see how the progress is coming on your bike. Hopefully you can just upload your pics to this thread so we can all enjoy your work :)

Gas cap key - Does your key turn but gas cap not open or does the key not turn or does the key not fit?
I had the first situation with KZombie and it turned out the cap's latch was borked; a small pin from the key cylinder that's cast metal had sheared off, so the key turned the cylinder but the sheared pin didn't operate the latch below.
I was under the impression that the gas cap "lock" isn't really a lock at all but just a latch that almost anything can operate so long as it's the size of a key. Others here have mentioned using their house key to open the gas cap...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jun 2016 06:24 #729787 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Day 1, let the fun begin!
You can take a thin punch or 16d nail and drive the roll pin out. The cap should come right off.
Steve

More
03 Jun 2016 06:30 #729790 by Ohio88ace
Replied by Ohio88ace on topic Day 1, let the fun begin!
Let's see if I figured this out!

[IMG

More
03 Jun 2016 06:32 #729792 by Ohio88ace

More
03 Jun 2016 06:34 #729793 by Ohio88ace
Yeah the key won't go more than half way into the slot, but I like the idea of knocking the pin out, I will have to try that if I can't get another random key to fit.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jun 2016 06:34 #729794 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Day 1, let the fun begin!
No pic of cap. The roll pin is hinge pin at the back.
Steve

More
03 Jun 2016 06:41 #729799 by Ohio88ace
Yeah I am at work, will maybe play with it tonight if I'm not too drained. Ordered a new tire yesterday so once I get it running and make sure the wiring isn't gonna catch fire we will at least get it to move to see what else might be wrong, it hasn't been on the road in a few years and I haven't had it rolling yet.

More
03 Jun 2016 09:07 #729828 by wrenchmonkey
Is you gas cap square or oval?
The hinge pin is visible & can be knocked out as Steve said if it's the oval cap. Square cap. Not so much.
If oval, you can also slip a thin metal object under at the latch & push the latch back. It looks like a small door latch if you know what i mean.
Also on my cap, the key only fits in maybe 3/8 of an inch & it's bottomed out. So ur cap may be ok just rusty & dusty. Try oiling it a bit & wiggle the key you have back & forth. The cap will "pop up" when latch releases.
Good luck. Glad u got the pics posted.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jun 2016 10:41 #729843 by SWest

More
03 Jun 2016 12:37 #729873 by Ohio88ace
I'm going to try and spray some magical wd40 on the key and see if I can get it in the lock tonight, I can't even get the key half way in right now, will also look at the pin. The next thing will be to find the main ground and hopefully cleaning up the connection gets rid of the hot wires I have under the seat, and then maybe it will start.

More
04 Jun 2016 03:05 #729967 by Ohio88ace
Found the roll pin in the hinge and knocked it out with ease! The whole thing was a bit stiff and stuck so I put some WD on it and worked it for a while and she works like new, and it was the square lock, too easy, thanks guys. Now to deal with hot wiring/fuses.
[IMG

More
04 Jun 2016 06:12 #729979 by wrenchmonkey
Way to go! :)
Isn't it a great feeling when you solve the problem and it doesn't require a new part? B)

I thought the square cap made the roll pin blind but obviously I "remembered" this wrong. Kudos for solving the riddle!