Day 1, let the fun begin!

More
23 Feb 2016 16:09 #712183 by Kwaker2000
Replied by Kwaker2000 on topic Day 1, let the fun begin!
i would keep the stock air box and put a k&n filter in ,but that's just me less hassle B)

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Feb 2016 16:19 #712185 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Day 1, let the fun begin!
Sometimes you can tap a SAE socket on it and get it to move.
Keep the air box and K&N filter.
Steve

More
23 Feb 2016 16:34 #712189 by Ohio88ace
Replied by Ohio88ace on topic Day 1, let the fun begin!
Couldn't get a 5/8" socket to get on and grab it, going to see what my other options are and then spend the 20 bucks for a new one I guess.

More
05 Mar 2016 04:14 #713904 by Ohio88ace
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow... this ohio weather is definitely slowing down my progress, since I do not have a garage and am doing all my work in the driveway. I love riding my sled but come on spring!

More
29 Mar 2016 06:46 #717954 by Ohio88ace
Been a while since I have been on, busy busy at home. Currently waiting on a new oil pan because the drain plug on the current pan is rounded, busted, and not worth putting any more time into trying to remove. Anyone have any advice on custom side covers? One side cover was missing so I am thinking of doing just a flat panel of some sort on each side to cover battery and wiring. I removed the old air box for pod filters but need to cover under the seat. I think my best option is to drill and tap the frame to bolt a new cover on, but have never drilled a frame before, is this bad news?

More
29 Mar 2016 07:29 #717964 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Day 1, let the fun begin!
A quick search on eBay revealed these two lovely side covers:
Hook'em Horns!

May need a little paint I reckon...

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Mar 2016 07:57 #717968 by SWest

More
29 Mar 2016 09:40 #717988 by Ohio88ace
Maybe I should have said I wasn't going for stock haha. Might be easier than making one though. Thanks for the search.

More
29 Mar 2016 09:43 #717990 by Ohio88ace
Does anyone have any advice or opinions on drilling and tapping the frame? Rather than welding tabs onto it to bolt the new covers to.

More
29 Mar 2016 16:18 #718075 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic Day 1, let the fun begin!

Ohio88ace wrote: Does anyone have any advice or opinions on drilling and tapping the frame? Rather than welding tabs onto it to bolt the new covers to.

From what I have heard and seen the tubing is fairly thin by comparison and could certainly be a weak point that elongates or strips out much easier than a weld on bung by comparison. I am sure that much smarter people than myself would be able to chime in even more, but I would advise against it as there just isn't much meat for the threads to grab to and by drilling it you are introducing a weak point that would be more likely to fail than a weld. As you know these frames take a lot of stress and abuse just with normal riding and the stress and strain the bike puts on it could cause a crack or failure to develop at the point of penetration.

Just my two cents,
Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

More
29 Mar 2016 17:02 #718090 by Ohio88ace
That was exactly my thinking too but just wanted to consult with others. My original plan was to weld on tabs to bolt the covers to, but of course that's more money, even tho it would be a better design.

More
29 Mar 2016 18:12 #718109 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Day 1, let the fun begin!
Ah! Well there's another member here that built his own side covers from steel mesh. He's a UK member if i recall correctly and hand made some kick-azz parts. It may provide some inspiration or ideas...