Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

CSR1000 Project Build 27 Dec 2016 05:09 #750764

• Wiers
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Pictures please :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CSR1000 Project Build 27 Dec 2016 07:33 #750776

• davido
  • davido's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Have patience,young Jedi. Revealed in time all will be!
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

CSR1000 Project Build 29 Dec 2016 07:40 #750870

• boyracer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
3 hours and 33 minutes ago i clicked on the start of this build...
well done so far.
Inspiration for getting off my arse on my ZIR rebuild which has sat in the corner of the new (purpose built) shed for 2 years now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davido

CSR1000 Project Build 30 Dec 2016 11:04 #750969

• davido
  • User
Thank you Boyracer. You win the 'Medal of Perseverance 2016' and as a reward, heres a bit of titillation.The final colour scheme revealed;

Love it or loath it boys and girls, this is it.
I still have to sand and polish and fit the logos but the family is back tomorrow so Ive run out of time.I have a back bedroom/paint booth to break down and a house to clean etc. So,thats it for 2016.
I didnt make my deadline. Still waiting on the jets and the HT cables. I stripped a thread,fitting the alternator cover and I cant find the gaskets for the petcock and the fuel level sensor but on the plus side I ordered a Moriwaki points cover as a christmas present to myself from the family (havent told them yet)
Thats it. Happy spannering to one and all and heres looking forward to and end to the CSR1000 Project Build in early 2017.
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)
Attachments:

CSR1000 Project Build 01 Jan 2017 05:42 #751053

• kenty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
first off , i've not been on here for quite a while so ,apologies for that , and secondly this thread is massive and i've spent all morning looking through it , personally i really dislike the styling of the CSR and did wonder what your project would end up looking like .. Congratulations on the outcome , great stance and what a difference to it's original appearance ..... a few things i would like to offer my appreciation for , the seat looks fantastic , really nice job . the speedo mount is another great job well executed and the tail piece looks the business too .and the colour is great . id like to offer a couple of ideas to your problem of the chain touching the swingarm , i used the largest sprockets i could fit on mine , possibly a 17 tooth front sprocket and 46 tooth rear , i would have to check ,but i had to modify the front sprocket guard to get the front one on . i see yours was broken already . this gave me a bit of extra clearance . I also used a piece of stainless steel as a chain slider on top of the swingarm bridge to stop the chain eating into the ally .. you need as much clearance as possible at the bridge , when you shut the throttle the slack in the chain run is suddenly at the top of the chain run and what looked like clearance isn't enough ..... eventually i had to channel the swingarm bridge area and get a piece welded back in , luckily i can weld ally so i did it myself . also your chain is a long way off your rear tyre and you could move it over to gain some clearance for the chain / rear shock area , you only need a little gap , when the wheel is spinning centrifugal forces make the tyre narrower and increase the clearance . I also ground a small area away on the rear spring seat , every little helps . alternatively you could swap the swingarm again ! 2001 ZRX swingarm is a relatively straight forward conversion , already has twin shock mounts and has more clearance at the bridge area .. and it looks good IMO..

CSR1000 Project Build 01 Jan 2017 05:44 #751054

• kenty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Attachment zrxswingarm.jpg not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: aquaholic

CSR1000 Project Build 04 Jan 2017 09:42 #751368

• davido
  • User
Wow Kenty. Thanks very much. A nice positive post to start the new year with. Im glad youve enjoyed the build and congrats on your stamina.
Taking your points on the swingarm,I see what you mean about the slack when the throttle is closed. More reason to sort it out.I have shaved the original rubber slider from the GSXR and Im going to mount that for now.I know its not the best fix but its only temporary.I just want to get the bike running and worry about the swingarm later. Its not the time of year to be out clocking up the miles on any bike,let alone a freshly rebuilt bike.
I did look at ZRX arms but theyre up there at 250-300 quid which is way out of my budget now.I do like the idea of channeling the arm that Ive got but I cant weld aluminium. So to get that done (and get it repowdercoated) would probably be 250quid(ish).
The sprockets,Ive thought about. The front will have to stay as it is because thats an offset jobby. Ill have a word with my local shop and see if hell swap me the rear one for something bigger. Though from looking at the line,I think itll make very little difference to the clearance.
The clearance at the shock might not be as problematic as I thought, and again Ive stopped losing sleep over it. If there is going to be an issue,I can turn the rear sprocket around (the back side is recessed) which could give me a couple of mm extra.

So,the situation now is that I have to clean up the points and auto advance. Get the cases fitted. HT cables and spark plugs.Battery earth lead.Carbs put together and mounted. Brakes bled.Oil and petrol.Hydraulic clutch hose fitted and clutch set up. Speedo cable fitted.
Thats it ( I think)
Im still waiting on the speedo cable and the carb jets and I still have to order the clutch hose. Other than that,I have everything I need.
Will keep you posted.
Oh and the posty brought me this

Bling Bling.
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)
Attachments:

CSR1000 Project Build 04 Jan 2017 10:01 #751369

• Wiers
  • User
Nice Moriwaki's :cheer:

When are you planning the first start?
Eric

CSR1000 Project Build 04 Jan 2017 11:31 #751376

• davido
  • User
Depending on work and if/when the rest of the parts turn up,Im hoping to be pressing that button sometime next week.Weekend at the latest.
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

CSR1000 Project Build 07 Jan 2017 10:30 #751612

• davido
  • User
Got the jets yesterday so Ive been busy sorting the carbs.I got some nice new rubbers to make things easier for mounting

Any ideas on whats going on here? Seems to be a hole that is exposed. Is that normal?

Another question. What are these rubber rings for? They sit in a recess under the gasket with no apparent use.Can I do without them??(Im missing 2 of them)
I also fitted the chain guide(?) Swingarm protector(?). I ground it down with a belt sander to make it as slim as possible. Ill use it for now until I get the swingarm situation sorted.

Other than that,I got a load of small odd jobs done. New plug caps and HT cables fitted,battery earth cable trimmed and mounted, fuel tank sorted (sensor/petcock/fuel cap fitted) and the clutch hose measured up and ready for ordering next week.
Nearly there.
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)
Attachments:

Last edit: by davido.

CSR1000 Project Build 07 Jan 2017 13:32 #751640

• Wiers
  • User
Getting there David.
It will be a close finish who will start up first :)
i just put my carbs together and also had some holes in my new gaskets where there was nothing in my carbs.
I think there is a difference between european and American carbs and that he gasket packege is universal.

Eric

CSR1000 Project Build 08 Jan 2017 07:47 #751683

• davido
  • User
Ok but any idea on those rubber rings/washers ? They arent regular o-rings as theyre flat with straight sides.The recess that they fit in has nothing in it,no hole,no channel,its not connecting anything.The float bowl gasket covers over the top of it.

I cant close up the carbs until these are sorted. The question is, Do I fork out more money and orderthese things or can I do without them?
Or could I make my own by trimming back some larger rings?How acurate would they need to be? I have NO IDEA as I have NO IDEA what they actually DO!!!!
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)
Attachments: