Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 24 Apr 2016 10:43 #722683

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 444
Absolutely beautiful! One of my favorite bikes on here. Very tasteful all around. Congrats!
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 25 Apr 2016 11:36 #722883

• Dr. Gamma
  • Dr. Gamma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Thanks everyone for all the nice compliments!!!

Its one thing after another on this bike. I walked out into the shop, and there was a puddle of brake fluid under the rear master cylinder. Well the brand new 30 year old master took a $hit!!! The seals turned to a black goo!!! Lucky I bought two of them back in 1985. Now I am wondering how long this one will last!!!! Hopefully a lot longer than the first one!!! Got to find out if I can still order a few rebuild kits from Kawasaki for this master cylinder. Bet its NLA by now!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 25 Apr 2016 20:35 #722971

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Wow Dr.G! I just keep on looking at the pictures of your bike and salivate. What a fantastic job you have done. Would be nice to get you OMR and I together for a ride. If Nothing else, I would like to get a first person view of your bike. Stunning sir, you should be proud.

I would also like some details on the center stand you are using. I want one of those.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 26 Apr 2016 12:01 #723089

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
gamma, check out the diameter written on the pump, bet there's a bunch of newer stuff using the same dia. just grab a late model pump off ebay and use just the seal.... the original "rebuild kits" are kinda spendy....

hadnt complimented you yet on the bike: beautiful! and dont bother with those tank dents, they are just battle scars, the more the better :)

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 27 Apr 2016 07:22 #723227

• Coast Steve
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
just finished reading this whole thread.
Awesome job on getting your old race bike back to it's former glory Dr Gamma!
And in classic style too.
1982 Kawasaki Eddie Lawson S1 (1136cc race replica clone.)

Last edit: by Coast Steve.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 02 May 2016 11:57 #724130

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member

kaw-a-holic wrote: Wow Dr.G! I just keep on looking at the pictures of your bike and salivate. What a fantastic job you have done. Would be nice to get you OMR and I together for a ride. If Nothing else, I would like to get a first person view of your bike. Stunning sir, you should be proud.

I would also like some details on the center stand you are using. I want one of those.

Come on up!!! I can't afford new tires nor the insurance on the KZ1000 right now, but the GSXR is ready to rock, and roll!!!! I found one or two nice roads close to my house. The run down Route 89 south of Prescott is a ball. Its like running Nurburgring!!! After all the turns, there is a real nice section of road where you can do some top end runs!!!! It should be getting like an oven pretty soon in Phoenix, so come on up when it does!!!

The stand is an old Bassani stand that they made back in the late 70's and early 80's. Only bad thing is I don't think they work with frames that have the bracket for the kickstand still welded to the frame!!!

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma. Reason: added more info!!!

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 03 May 2016 20:06 #724423

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
89 A to Jerome is kick ass too B)
78 KZ1000 A2A

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 03 May 2016 22:08 #724446

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

Dr. Gamma wrote:

kaw-a-holic wrote: Wow Dr.G! I just keep on looking at the pictures of your bike and salivate. What a fantastic job you have done. Would be nice to get you OMR and I together for a ride. If Nothing else, I would like to get a first person view of your bike. Stunning sir, you should be proud.

Come on up!!! I can't afford new tires nor the insurance on the KZ1000 right now, but the GSXR is ready to rock, and roll!!!! I found one or two nice roads close to my house. The run down Route 89 south of Prescott is a ball. Its like running Nurburgring!!! After all the turns, there is a real nice section of road where you can do some top end runs!!!! It should be getting like an oven pretty soon in Phoenix, so come on up when it does!!!

The stand is an old Bassani stand that they made back in the late 70's and early 80's. Only bad thing is I don't think they work with frames that have the bracket for the kickstand still welded to the frame!!!

Thanks for the info on the stand. I guess I just need to build one. I will come up as soon as I get the custom triple tree built. I can't take any corners the way it is now. I do look forward to coming up to meet you.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 06 May 2016 11:54 #724911

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
Like I said before, these bikes eat even when you don't ride them!!!! Just sitting there on my lift, my CR33 Keihins decided to start pissing fuel!!! My petcocks were off too. Looks like all the O-rings on the T's between the carbs have now decided to start to leak!!! Great just what I want to do is a complete unrack of the carbs. A real fun and time consuming job in my book. I just hope I have all the O-rings I need in my Keihin parts collection already. I did a bit of stockpiling of CR parts some 30 years ago. I just hope I don't have to buy anymore part$ for them when I go to rebuild them.

I used to have to replace the needle and seat O-rings every two months or so on the CR's, or they would start to overflow!!! I went to a thicker diameter o-ring that I found, and they would last about six months before they started to shrink from the fuel I was using back then!!! I really can't bitch about the T O-rings starting to leak, After all they are over 30 YEARS old!!!!

Attachments:

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 06 May 2016 21:48 #725009

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
I know your not trying to spend any money but Viton o-rings may not be a bad idea.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 16 Jun 2016 11:43 #731660

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
I hope its alright to post this here!!!

ONCE IN A LIFETIME CHANCE!!!!!
I am selling my kit form Bassani Superbike pipe that will fit any Z1, KZ900, KZ1000, and even any GPz1100!!!! Bassani called it their "Do It Yourself Kit" This is one of the later Superbike pipes with a 2.250 inch diameter collector, instead of the normal 3.00 inch collector. This kit will take some fabrication, welding experience, and a lot of patience to put together!!!

I will be listing it on ebay sometime next week. I have to find the perfect shipping box for it before I can list it!!! I want to make sure it gets to the proud new owner without ANY chance of damage.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma. Reason: left out photos!!!

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 16 Jun 2016 16:00 #731677

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
when I needed money i didnt ask for help I sold bikes