KZ650 CSR from old to new

• popssss
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Bikes, Babes, Pizza with everything
More
24 Sep 2012 19:10 #550657 by popssss
KZ650 CSR from old to new was created by popssss
I've posted my pictures in the "new Member" forum by mistake. I'll repost here and track my project too.

so I got a 1980 KZ650 CSR from a guy at work who just let it sit in his garage after he bought a new chain. He just never put it on, even after new front gear and rear gears.

it was awfully dirty, with wasps nests and rust. I have a big job ahead, but it's also a complete bike.

Rusty Frame

Attachment IMG_0017_2012-09-24.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0024_2012-09-24.jpg not found

Wheels are OK, but I'm adding dual front brakes instead of the single.

Attachment IMG_0019_2012-09-24.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0026_2012-09-24.jpg not found

Engine was oily and dirty, but after, half a gallon of Castrol purple super clean, a power sprayer and scrubbing, it looks much better, but I'll do a second run at cleaning it up too.

Attachment IMG_0032_2012-09-24.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0033.jpg not found

The side covers were terrible too but I've been polishing them and they're turning out ok.

Attachment IMG_0030_2012-09-24.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0031_2012-09-24.jpg not found

I have the proper front forks to do dual brakes, and I'll paint the lowers black too, same with the front fender.
I hope I get it done this year. My project CB550 took way too long, I started in Nov 2010, and finished this May...

I'd be interested in trading my spoked wheels for mags if anyone is interested, I have new rear spokes too, the front is OK, just dirty.

Time to really get busy.

love bikes, and anything with a engine/motor, and i love the ride way more than the destination, unless I have a passenger, then that's all that matters.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2012 22:06 #550679 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic KZ650 CSR from old to new
KZ650 CSR's are cool!

1981 KZ550-D1

More
24 Sep 2012 23:57 - 24 Sep 2012 23:59 #550716 by VenturaRider
Replied by VenturaRider on topic KZ650 CSR from old to new
Try some Simple Green on that motor and let it soak a bit. OMR swears by it and I have had great results also.

Box stock 75 Z1900
74 Z1900
Ventura Ca.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2012 23:59 by VenturaRider.

• popssss
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2012 23:00 #551900 by popssss
Replied by popssss on topic KZ650 CSR from old to new
I forgot about Simple Green, I'll give it a shot.

I did use Castrol purple Superclean and a powersprayer. I found drain plugs for the intake 1 inch and exhaust 1 1/8 inch and they worked great.

love bikes, and anything with a engine/motor, and i love the ride way more than the destination, unless I have a passenger, then that's all that matters.

• popssss
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2012 23:07 #551904 by popssss
I cleaned, sanded, primed, and painted the wheels.

If I had the energy/time, and a set or front spokes, I would have re-laced both wheels.

If they start going sour later, then I'll do that otherwise I think they turned out OK.

Attachment IMG_0040.jpg not found

I used 150 grain, then 400 grain, then a fine scrubbing sponge on the edge only.

Attachments:

More
01 Oct 2012 23:36 #551911 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic KZ650 CSR from old to new
Love those spoke wheels.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

• popssss
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2012 02:18 #552364 by popssss
if I had the money I would have Buchannan do the spokes up with a diamond cut and copper plated, with the Rim Chrome plated.

I'm doing it all black for my brother though, he thinks I may not want to give it up when I'm done, and heck he may be right.

• popssss
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2012 00:48 #552707 by popssss
Seat info:
I found a place local that will re-do the whole seat for a decent price:
This is the overall pattern, but not exact, it's a tiered seat, but I'm doing a small tier:

Attachment seatpatterntype.jpg not found

This is the fabric:

Attachment CarbonFiber-100Black.gif not found

This is the seat as it is: Butt ugly now

Attachment 650seatasis.JPG not found

so the basic pattern won't change much bit instead of a fake stitch it will be real, and I'm taking the rear down a bit as you can see nere about an inch and a half at the rear.

Attachment 650seatoption1.jpg not found

The seat pan is not flat like the older ones, it rises at the rear so the passengers will have a little less padding than the rider, but passengers are supposed to be lighter anyway right?

Attachments:

More
07 Oct 2012 11:35 - 23 Jan 2013 00:42 #552905 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ650 CSR from old to new
[image link gone]
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 00:42 by martin_csr.

• popssss
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2012 22:40 #553526 by popssss
That's exactly what this bike looked like, except spoked wheels.

rear fender cover is different too, but it looks good.

I like how the clutch cover is brushed and the stator and points covers are both painted and polished.

I'm doing the same thing and boy is it taking a long time going from where I was to where it is.

More
11 Oct 2012 12:36 - 23 Jan 2013 00:42 #553584 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic lll
[image link gone]
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 00:42 by martin_csr.

• popssss
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Oct 2012 02:29 #555126 by popssss
I gotta take the tape off the cover and see what it looks like.

I forgot about the grease trick, so I painted over it all, then I'll lightly sand it off the tops of the ring, and the bars and lettering. I had to do some tricky refilling of the aluminum on one part, so it won't look as good as yours if you look close.

My frame should be done too soon, its at the powder coating. I'm thinking of painting the engine, but I don't know how it will turn out.

the first engine I painted didn't have primer, and the paint came off way too easily. I took a wire wheel to the engine and figure if I scuff it enough, then I don't need Primer, but I may just use the self etching primer, then use an aluminum paint everywhere.

I'll polish the edges of the side covers, so they'll stand out a bit, but nothing else will get the polish treatment like that except maybe the headlight.