Stu Pidasole's Build

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
22 Jan 2011 16:35 #424455 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
Use tubing, not pipe please ;)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
22 Jan 2011 16:36 #424456 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
kz1k, triangulated top mono-shock mount reference courtesy porchev914's build thread about page 20.

Recomendation,
Cover plate on top over the two side tabs (same material thickness as the tabs is ok),
two round tubes from the top (closer to the shock mount point the better) angled up and to the outer frame rails (the higher the better).
Clearance for air cleaners?

The object is to transfer the vertical forces of the shock into the frame along the length of the tubes (compression, tubes are strong in this direction) as opposed to resisting the forces by twisting the horizontal mount tube (torque, tubes are weaker in this direction).

The top tubes will also help with the side to side forces (lateral), but side gussets won't hurt.

Good luck,
Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL
Attachments:

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Jan 2011 16:49 #424462 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
Rainman wrote:

kz1k, triangulated top mono-shock mount reference courtesy porchev914's build thread about page 20.

Recomendation,
Cover plate on top over the two side tabs (same material thickness as the tabs is ok),
two round tubes from the top (closer to the shock mount point the better) angled up and to the outer frame rails (the higher the better).

The object is to transfer the vertical forces of the shock into the frame along the length of the tubes (compression, tubes are strong in this direction) as opposed to resisting the forces by twisting the horizontal mount tube (torque, tubes are weaker in this direction).

The top tubes will also help with the side to side forces (lateral), but side gussets won't hurt.

Good luck,
Jim

thanks jim, great description.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Jan 2011 16:57 #424463 by kz1k
i think i am going to cut the plate back to where the tabs comming off the top mount will house a small piece of tubing. i will make it off centered, making the right side of the tubing stick out longer due to the left off center of the shock. then 2 pieces going at an angle to the tubing i installed, and 2 pieces off those facing up. thanks for all the visuals guys. it really helps.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

More
22 Jan 2011 17:03 #424464 by RedlineJunkie
Replied by RedlineJunkie on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
porchev914 wrote:

Use tubing, not pipe please ;)

LMAO! Not to long ago I spoke with Joe on the phone. He knows better than that. B)

More
22 Jan 2011 17:14 - 22 Jan 2011 17:19 #424467 by RedlineJunkie
Rainman wrote:

Recomendation,

Good luck,
Jim

Jim,

That is an excellent description of what needs to be done and the forces involved. Your setup is ideal, although I don't know if kz1k is ready to go that far. It is from an engineers point of view (I didn't get my degree, I ran out of dough to feed myself) the pretty much perfect implementation of triangulation in regards to the rear mono shock and I must say "Well Done!". Having been a Ducati owner too, the value of having a true trellis frame has never evaded me.

As far as forces transmitted to a KZ1000 frame, wether they be torsonal or not, may take a bit as the Sea Monster has once again invaded my garage, lol.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jan 2011 17:19 by RedlineJunkie.

• rslingshot
  • Banned
  • Because stock SUCKS!!!!!!
More
22 Jan 2011 18:04 #424490 by rslingshot
Replied by rslingshot on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
Just reading over your build Joe. I think that you should remake the the bottom motor mount and cross brace that a few of the members have suggested. I remaid the one on my frame because the was some damage to the lower frame cross brace, but you have cut yours in half,I feel you will be alot better off if you do this and it will look much cleaner.
pic of new bottom motor mount,cross brace and bottom shock linkage mount

My upper shock mount

Just my .02

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/390747-1977-kz1000-new-life
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2004 Gsx-r 750
78 kz1000 basket case
81 yamaha xs 650 basket case

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Jan 2011 18:38 #424497 by kz1k
thanks slingshot...gives me some ideas.

1978 KZ1000A2

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
22 Jan 2011 19:07 #424506 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
RedlineJunkie, yes ir1. The what needs to be done comes from years of experiance and common sense. The why (and the technical terms) come from the formal training.
One of the most knowlegable men I ever worked with was not book smart but extreamly experience wise, he never stopped learning or thought he knew it all. He would say," You learn two things from mistakes, what works and what doesn't, and it'll be you if you keep makin the same ones."

Looks like you best be "Kraken" the cap on that Sea Monster project.

Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL

More
22 Jan 2011 19:43 - 22 Jan 2011 19:47 #424527 by RedlineJunkie
Rainman wrote:

RedlineJunkie, yes ir1. The what needs to be done comes from years of experiance and common sense. The why (and the technical terms) come from the formal training.
One of the most knowlegable men I ever worked with was not book smart but extreamly experience wise, he never stopped learning or thought he knew it all. He would say," You learn two things from mistakes, what works and what doesn't, and it'll be you if you keep makin the same ones."

Looks like you best be "Kraken" the cap on that Sea Monster project.

Jim

Whoa buddy! Sounds like you might be having some other issues, lol! Now... If you could spell...... LMAO!

Please define what your problem is and might be able to defer you to the correct proffesional. :woohoo:
Last edit: 22 Jan 2011 19:47 by RedlineJunkie.

More
22 Jan 2011 19:51 - 22 Jan 2011 19:52 #424531 by RedlineJunkie
And second of all, what the hell seems to be the problem? I never said you were wrong?

Fess up boy, whats up your knickers ,,, kid.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2011 19:52 by RedlineJunkie.

More
22 Jan 2011 19:53 #424533 by RedlineJunkie
Squid.....