Stu Pidasole's Build

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2011 06:55 #424328 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
Front end needs to be mounted to the frame before the rear shock mounts are finalized .

I'd like to make a comment about the bong but that's really not my business :( Suffice to say I view that thing as an adult binky & adults really should't suck their thumb :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2011 07:28 #424330 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
Are you seriously going to use that "Cut" lower cross member for you shock mount? :ohmy:

Joe, seriously speaking, I've stayed out of your post for the most part for several reasons but this is something you need to get spot on for nothing more then safety reasons... Hate to here shit went terribly wrong for you/loved ones on a ride. :(

With that said...

As these guys have been informing you, get this frame straight and securely tightened up (Welded). Use new pipe, no welding two pieces together type of modding... This needs to be secured... ;)

Cut that sonsabitch out and install a new heavier scheduled pipe with saddle cuts...

Then and only then, get that swingarm/rim dead ass centered for if you don't this is going to be one hell of a ride at high speeds "wobble/tank slapper" thus not good.

Chain to tire versus chain to frame clearance is normally wider distance... If required as Mark 1122 did, have the rear hub milled down for chain alignments and clearances to the sprockets.

Once the frame and tire is spot on, you'll be able to accurately determine mono mount positions.... And you'll truly know your CC sprocket offset requirement.

You can get pissed at me once again if you like but I'm giving you the straight up skinny here young man... ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Jan 2011 07:41 - 22 Jan 2011 08:14 #424333 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
Old Man Rock wrote:

Are you seriously going to use that "Cut" lower cross member for you shock mount? :ohmy:

Joe, seriously speaking, I've stayed out of your post for the most part for several reasons but this is something you need to get spot on for nothing more then safety reasons... Hate to here shit went terribly wrong for you/loved ones on a ride. :(

With that said...

As these guys have been informing you, get this frame straight and securely tightened up (Welded). Use new pipe, no welding two pieces together type of modding... This needs to be secured... ;)

Cut that sonsabitch out and install a new heavier scheduled pipe with saddle cuts...

Then and only then, get that swingarm/rim dead ass centered for if you don't this is going to be one hell of a ride at high speeds "wobble/tank slapper" thus not good.

Chain to tire versus chain to frame clearance is normally wider distance... If required as Mark 1122 did, have the rear hub milled down for chain alignments and clearances to the sprockets.

Once the frame and tire is spot on, you'll be able to accurately determine mono mount positions.... And you'll truly know your CC sprocket offset requirement.

You can get pissed at me once again if you like but I'm giving you the straight up skinny here young man... ;)

OMR

:woohoo: look what the cat dragged in!

omr, heres Larrys build....i think he knows what he is doing man...... www.cyclemadness.com/cmforum/index.php?topic=319.0

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jan 2011 08:14 by kz1k.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Jan 2011 10:40 #424369 by kz1k
i think this will work....

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

Attachments:

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
22 Jan 2011 10:50 #424370 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
Is your cross brace a piece of angle? If it is, it might be OK. If it were me, I would use a piece of square or round tubing, and I would center it between the rear cradle. This will give your mount much better resistance to the torsional force it will be subjected to :)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• porchev914
  • User
More
22 Jan 2011 10:53 #424371 by porchev914
FWIW, I agree with OMR, it would be cleaner and more sound over all if you cut out that bottom engine mount and fabbed a new cross brace, shock mount and engine mount.

FRANKEN Z!

More
22 Jan 2011 11:01 #424374 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
kz1k wrote:

i think this will work....

:S

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • User
More
22 Jan 2011 11:03 #424375 by porchev914
I think Plummen agrees :whistle:

FRANKEN Z!

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Jan 2011 11:05 #424377 by kz1k
porchev914 wrote:

Is your cross brace a piece of angle? If it is, it might be OK. If it were me, I would use a piece of square or round tubing, and I would center it between the rear cradle. This will give your mount much better resistance to the torsional force it will be subjected to :)

Larry used the front cradle, so thats what i am going with. i hadnt planned on using the centerstand mounts for a bottom shock mount. im just going through the same steps larry did until i get to the point of mounting the bottom of the shock.

1978 KZ1000A2

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Jan 2011 11:07 #424378 by kz1k
porchev914 wrote:

I think Plummen agrees :whistle:

ok, back to the drawing board.:S

1978 KZ1000A2

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Jan 2011 11:14 - 22 Jan 2011 11:16 #424379 by kz1k
this is why i never go weld happy....easy in, easy out....

not sure what route to take now...gatta brainstorm.

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jan 2011 11:16 by kz1k.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Jan 2011 11:25 #424380 by kz1k
Adam, if you look at Larrys build you can see he used the front cradle...also it looks like he used angle for his cross brace...hard to see.
www.cyclemadness.com/cmforum/index.php?topic=319.0

1978 KZ1000A2