Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 20 Oct 2013 10:35 #610612

• Stazi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
I say yes to the springs. It looks more race rush, even if you don't really need them.
82 KZ1000-K2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 08 Mar 2014 13:16 #624533

• royalratch
  • royalratch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi all.

Just checking in to say bike is on track for a Spring MOT. I've basically had to stop whilst waiting for some parts for a last minute tweak to the electrical system which I wanted to do. It requires a custom battery box - instead of modding the stock one which is not ideal.

Also, I thought this is something I could make myself. The battery box needs to hold the Reg/Rec, The Motogadget M-Unit, Starter Relay and some other trick bits. I wanted to the entire unit to be tidy and self-contained.

So first a bit of CAD.

Then a cheap sheet steel folder and some strips of 1.2mm Stainless cut to size and folded up.

Welding nerds always go on about the fit up!

Getting there.

This new and final loom diagram shows what I want to do. I basically will fit a Bluetooth BLE switchable relay to trigger ignition and then the starter relay - all from my smart phone. Its a bit of fun but also means I can run completely invisible and minimal starter controls.

And here is the kit that allows it - a hi-tech smartphone controlled motorcycle remote ignition and start for the grand price of £25!

Here it is all mocked up on the CAD model. It shows the Reg/Rec on the left, 12V to 5V

And where I'm at now.

Also using one of these JMT Lithium Ion batteries. Its slimmer than the stock, much much lighter and has 4 terminals which is handy.

So now just need to get it welded up and bolt the rest of the componentry and run some wire then back to Debbens for a Carb tune and fire up.

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 08 Mar 2014 13:43 #624536

• Tusch
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
I got so excited when I saw you posted, this is one of my favorite builds. You didn't disappoint, I'm looking at RFID, didn't even think about blue tooth, trick bit for sure. Can't wait to see more
1983 GPZ550

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 08 Mar 2014 14:27 #624541

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 671
are you going to instal a backup switch somewhere? What if your phone dies? nice work on the battery box BTW looks very clean.

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 08 Mar 2014 14:39 #624543

• royalratch
  • User
Thanks guys.

Yeh, will wire in a hidden ignition and starter in parallel. But the bike will also have a hidden iPhone charger too. So easy to add a 5V female USB you might as well.

RFID is also cool - but since I always have my phone on me - plus it will double as my Speedo / `Tacho and other stuff...

Last edit: by royalratch.

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 08 Mar 2014 19:21 #624571

• farmer1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Good to see more action. Have been missing this bike build.

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 23 Mar 2014 15:25 #626294

• royalratch
  • User
Got some measurements to help select the right shock length as I want to order some new ones, possibly built to spec.

Here is the bike sat dead flat under its own weight - the changes from stock Z650 are 17" wheels, 06 ZX6R USD forks and pretty regular tyre profiles. The rear 'shock' plank length here is 300mm.

There are no Ohlins options for a Z650 and certainly not for a modified one - only for stock Z900/Z1/Z1000 and some 750s / 500s.

So, the Ohlins S36P KA140 is 350mm eye to eye. That's 50mm too long so allowing 25mm static sag (under bikes own weight) means it'll be jacked up 25mm at the rear. Can I dial that out by adding preload? Or is it too much?

Is a custom built set worth the bother?

Cheers all!

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 25 Mar 2014 06:28 #626485

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
i don't think you will ever regret buying nice suspension components sir. :evil:
i have found the customer service at ohlins here in the us to be very helpful.you might give them a call and ask them about your concerns.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 25 Mar 2014 12:03 #626531

• 650mod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48
Agreed with Leon. Nothing beats a smooth ride that you want to take out for endless miles. Sure, you pay a bit more, but it's more than worth it in the end.
78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 25 Mar 2014 12:46 #626535

• royalratch
  • User
Have ordered a set of KA140 in the end. They will be just about perfect when I fit the fork extenders I had made.

I called Ohlins and they were very cool but basically tried to sell me on the higher end shocks as they had those in stock - no S36Ps in the USA until late April.

Got a great price though from Dynoman.

Plenty to get on with in the meantime.

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 25 Mar 2014 15:12 #626544

• GA Joe
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Wow I am going to have to read through this, looks amazing! Those Ohlins are like $850 a pop aren't they!?

Z800 Cafe Fighter Chopper thing 27 Mar 2014 10:57 #626763

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72

royalratch wrote: Got some measurements to help select the right shock length as I want to order some new ones, possibly built to spec.

Here is the bike sat dead flat under its own weight - the changes from stock Z650 are 17" wheels, 06 ZX6R USD forks and pretty regular tyre profiles. The rear 'shock' plank length here is 300mm.

There are no Ohlins options for a Z650 and certainly not for a modified one - only for stock Z900/Z1/Z1000 and some 750s / 500s.

So, the Ohlins S36P KA140 is 350mm eye to eye. That's 50mm too long so allowing 25mm static sag (under bikes own weight) means it'll be jacked up 25mm at the rear. Can I dial that out by adding preload? Or is it too much?

Is a custom built set worth the bother?

Cheers all!

I run both my road racers very kicked up at the back to sharpen steering and add ground clearance, that means around +40-50mm (see pic). thing is that increases swingarm angle and you start running into issues with chain tension changing a lot during suspension travel and chain rubbing on the top of the swingarm .

The first problem is solvable by adding a tensioning wheel in the lower run (like buells have).
But if rubs on top unedr tension, not so good..... that petty much limits how long a shock you can fit. make 350mm "wooden shocks", temporally fit a chain and check if thats the situation. if it rubs then you could unscrew the adjusters, but not by that much.

Dont buy the shocks unless they are willing to fit springs with the right rate for your bike weight. z900/1000 rates are bound to be way stiff for ya and that CANT be fixed with the preload adjuster...

Attachment 666side2.jpg not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: royalratch

Last edit: by turboguzzi.