Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 20 May 2013 23:25 #588446

• kzz1king
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
I was all for the black at first but these guys are starting to sway me :)
Wayne
74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 24 May 2013 06:57 #588991

• royalratch
  • royalratch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Forks off for rebuild / Nitriding.

There is an option to have new springs in there - maybe heavier duty to deal with the extra weight. I'm sure this is worth doing for the money and ride.

I weigh 80KG. The bike weighs more than the bike the forks came from (2006 ZX6R Ninja) but less than the original bike - Z650.

I guess I should weight the bike during a rough assembly then + my weight and see what the suspension people suggest?

Or will the difference be negligible?

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 24 May 2013 08:59 #588999

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
When I rebuilt the GSXR forks for my KZ I changed the springs. Race Tech has a calculator on their website where you can enter the weight of the bike + rider it even asks if you are using the bike on the track or street. It will give a spring recommendation based on your inputs.

I used the donor GSXR in the calculator and changed the weight to that of my KZ. I basically had to purchase the heaviest springs available for the front end on my setup. I'm glad I did the spring swap as the bike handles fine and doesn't dive heavily under braking. It would feel spongy to me with the stock springs.

EDIT: Race Tech link. racetech.com/ChooseVehicle.aspx
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Last edit: by testarossa. Reason: Added link.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 24 May 2013 09:04 #589000

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72

royalratch wrote:
Or will the difference be negligible?

this is my spring guide for my bikes setup, both race and road

www.traxxion.com/images/art/tech.sprng.rate.500.310.gif

most bikes are so low with stock rates (0.6-0.7) that on average, cutting about 2"-3" length (and compensating with a spacer) will bring most springs to the sweet spot of 0.8 - 0.9 kg/mm

but begs to ask if you are a good enough rider to tell the difference... :)

use your tires from edge to edge or leave 1/2" (or more) "chicken strips"?

we are all ears ;)

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 24 May 2013 09:26 #589002

• royalratch
  • User
Ha! I'm in no way going to ride this bike to any limits but whilst the forks are in bits it would be the time to do it.

But I'll get riding first then ask the pros for suggestions. I suggested custom springs first because its a reasonably priced tweak for a lot of return. Custom valving is OTT. Compression / rebound does need to be set up as although I know how it works I often cannot tell the difference after a fettle.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 24 May 2013 10:02 #589007

• CruisingRam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15

royalratch wrote: Ha! I'm in no way going to ride this bike to any limits but whilst the forks are in bits it would be the time to do it.

But I'll get riding first then ask the pros for suggestions. I suggested custom springs first because its a reasonably priced tweak for a lot of return. Custom valving is OTT. Compression / rebound does need to be set up as although I know how it works I often cannot tell the difference after a fettle.

The only reason you would do this is if you genuinely plan on regular track days or some kind of competition.

Think of it this way. You wiegh about 80kg. I wiegh closer to 100kg. Both bikes are made to ride two up- it is part of the design of the bike. Add another 80kg to both bikes with a two up ride capability.

Follow me? The difference in spring rates and valving and such is built into both bikes from the factory, assuming the differences in riders wieghts and if they are riding two up or not.

Unless you are really pushing the bike- the forks as they are constitute such an improvement in handling that the difference in curb wieght means really nothing at all.
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 24 May 2013 10:24 #589012

• royalratch
  • User
Gotcha. I just thought its set up for a SuperSports which is quite a different ride characteristic than what I want.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 24 May 2013 21:25 #589073

• CruisingRam
  • User
Actual tested weight of a 2006 ZX6r- 430 lbs as tested by Motorcyclist magazine. That is actual curb weight. Actual tested curb weight of a late 70s Z650, and remember, you have pulled off some very heavy things that used to be on this bike, like overlarge turn signals and center stand- was a composite 490lbs. That is less than the weight between you and I. I don't recall how adjustable those 2006 forks were stock, but I am willing to bet, if adjustable, they can more than make up for the minor weight differences my friend. B)

I think the fact that you have modern USD forks on the bike will change the ride characteristics than ANY 70s Japanese fork my friend LOL. As in- way better LOL. You really have to work an old 70s conventional fork to even come close to the performance of a modern USD fork- it is just the fact that progress has marched on in this area as well.

Such an awesome build. I have a build I am gathering parts for now as well, and have been trying to find the wheel stuff in the US you used at a reasonable price. Well, found the rims, but there is no such thing as reasonable price LOL. The rims alone from Buchanons are $375 rear and $280 for the front, and I am using a stock hob and thier stainless spokes.

Good stuff my man.
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 25 May 2013 02:12 #589092

• rich67
  • User
  • Thank you received: 42
Great build , is the frame powder or paint ?

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 25 May 2013 12:11 #589131

• royalratch
  • User
Frame is powder.

regarding wheels - Takasago EXCEL Moto-X rims used to be the top end rim for Moto-X - they just bought out a better one. There's a brand called 'Morad' that are pretty good but quite a bit cheaper.

Search eBay for Moto-X wheels and you can get a used set for pretty close to what I have for cheap - maybe not the twin-disc hub or cush drive rear but you never know.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 25 May 2013 14:31 #589144

• CruisingRam
  • User

royalratch wrote: Frame is powder.

regarding wheels - Takasago EXCEL Moto-X rims used to be the top end rim for Moto-X - they just bought out a better one. There's a brand called 'Morad' that are pretty good but quite a bit cheaper.

Search eBay for Moto-X wheels and you can get a used set for pretty close to what I have for cheap - maybe not the twin-disc hub or cush drive rear but you never know.

Thanks- on my Z1, I agonized over whether to switch it over to USD forks or use conventional forks that kept the original bike look better- and went with original forks. Kind of.

I bought a set of police forks and triple tree, and have a KZ dual disc front. I bought race tech springs and emulators. I have the police triple trees and forks all done, just have to buy the excel rims and make a front fender. The rims are so I can run a 17" tire and the police trees so I can run a 120mm front tire.

So I can feel your pain when it comes to really thinking about this part or that part. Sometimes it is not about money, it is about the vision you started with and trying to stick with it!

I went through your whole thread on this, way back two years ago when you started it, and can see what you are going for. It will be great, whatever you do, because you have done everything right so far LOL

Thanks for the tip on the rims, I am surfing away now!
I hate electrical stuff.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 26 May 2013 05:38 #589229

• royalratch
  • User
This all makes total sense TBH. I'll get it running first then puts ome miles on it then see what the pro's make if it.