Pen's Z1

More
25 Mar 2009 08:17 #275249 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Pen's Z1
man will,that is some nice work those trees are sweet.it is nice to have a member with the skillset,machines and willingness to help build parts and keep these old bikes going.here is a picture of my z1r that i custom built the swingarm on.i spent 23 hours machining the axle plates on my little mill,sure would be quicker on a cnc tho:laugh: .

leon holmes

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2009 08:24 #275254 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic Pen's Z1
Thats awesome...I had a little 2 horse bridgeport some years ago...and I was happy as a pig on sh!t to have it.it might take a little longer...but you would be surprised how long it takes to write the code for this...the second one,however, will take about 15mins start to finish...I'll keep you guys posted...
my goal here is to get a complete kit together ....were just now deciding if we should build a lower tree as well.

More
25 Mar 2009 08:43 #275260 by irishwill
531blackbanshee wrote:

man will,that is some nice work those trees are sweet.it is nice to have a member with the skillset,machines and willingness to help build parts and keep these old bikes going.here is a picture of my z1r that i custom built the swingarm on.i spent 23 hours machining the axle plates on my little mill,sure would be quicker on a cnc tho:laugh: .

leon holmes

Thats one hot rod z1r...nice work!

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
25 Mar 2009 09:12 #275265 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Pen's Z1
One thing that i am having trouble with, is the chain hitting the motor mount. since i have a 5/8" offset sprocket and the 3/8" thick aluminum motor mount . I also have the stock motor mount behind the aluminum mount. This is because I use the stock mount to hold my battery box. The chain comes up and bounces off the mount occasionally. It is wearing on the mount.
Last year i put some large washers on the bottom bolt . they huge down below the mount. the idea was that the chain would hit the washers rather than wear on the aluminum mount. well, the chain beat up the washers and bent them.
Any ideas on improving this would be welcome. The easy fix would be going back to the stock mount to regain the clearance.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
25 Mar 2009 09:17 #275266 by mark1122
here is a side veiw. u may need to address this with your build as well, if u add the motor mounts.
How have u guys with offset sprockets,and mounts, delt with this?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:

More
25 Mar 2009 09:32 #275267 by 531blackbanshee
thanks for the compliment will.yes writing code can take some time,at first.i had my buddy build me some tubing bending dies,and i was waiting while he wrote the code and was like wow this takes forever.like you say manual machines are neat for one off stuff because you can just start whittling,and you are seeing stuff happen immediately.for putting kits together like you are talking about cnc's are the way to go.
here is the little mill i can't live without,sorry for the where's waldo background.

i need more stuff and less space,haha.

leon holmes

1976 kz 900 x 3

Attachments:

More
25 Mar 2009 14:18 #275330 by irishwill
531blackbanshee wrote:

thanks for the compliment will.yes writing code can take some time,at first.i had my buddy build me some tubing bending dies,and i was waiting while he wrote the code and was like wow this takes forever.like you say manual machines are neat for one off stuff because you can just start whittling,and you are seeing stuff happen immediately.for putting kits together like you are talking about cnc's are the way to go.
here is the little mill i can't live without,sorry for the where's waldo background.

i need more stuff and less space,haha.

leon holmes

Is that an r8 taper on that?
if so I might have a couple of tools lying around....I'll look

More
25 Mar 2009 14:22 #275331 by irishwill
mark1122 wrote:

here is a side veiw. u may need to address this with your build as well, if u add the motor mounts.
How have u guys with offset sprockets,and mounts, delt with this?

I made a custom battery box ...when I did the mono shock conversion...but I think if you make a rear mount like I did in the pics above (only uses the top hole in the frame) it might sort you out.
to tell you the truth I never ran into it...so I either got around it unknowingly with a custom b/box...or with the m/mount.

More
25 Mar 2009 14:24 #275332 by irishwill
should have a finnished product tomorrow AM if everything goes well tonight.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
25 Mar 2009 16:05 #275345 by mark1122
I thought u were talking about makeing the conventional motor mounting kit.
i see that, the way u did yours, u would not have this issue. . do u think that would be even stronger with thicker tabs? the reason for the aftermarket mounts was to reduce flex. are yours thicker or stronger than the stock mounts?
I like that aproch.very well done Will B)

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
25 Mar 2009 19:19 #275416 by irishwill
mark1122 wrote:

I thought u were talking about makeing the conventional motor mounting kit.
i see that, the way u did yours, u would not have this issue. . do u think that would be even stronger with thicker tabs? the reason for the aftermarket mounts was to reduce flex. are yours thicker or stronger than the stock mounts?
I like that aproch.very well done Will B)

Im sure that with thicker tabs it would be stronger....having said that we ran in and around 300hp in that bike and have had no issues as far as the mounts are concerned.
I am sure you could make them out of 3/16th 4130 and be more than safe....that is what I am going to do on this bike ....when I get there I will post pics...if you need something before then let me know maybe I can leapfrog a bit.B)

More
25 Mar 2009 19:22 #275418 by 531blackbanshee
that is very generous will.my mill uses the er type collet.i have the 1/4,3/8,1/2,3/4 collets and have to seek out tooling in those shank sizes.i have built my own large fly cutter and have a wholesale tool co. close to my work to pick up assorted tooling.i just recently made the rotary table purchase that you can see setting on the mill.i am building some lower suzuki style shock mounts for (kzrider member) roynor and a brake stabilizer arm bracket for him also.i also have a leblond regal lathe that swings 17" and is about 40? inches between centers.my machines are old but you can still do accurate work you just have to take your time.they allow me to do my own stuff and little stuff to help other folks out occasionaly.are you going to be able to take on outside work or just focus on what you need personally?keep up the good work and keep us posted.i like that rear mount alot.

leon holmes

1976 kz 900 x 3