Z1000R and Z1000J - Lots of pics, and Gun-Kote oven baked paint.

More
20 Jun 2008 13:18 #221177 by RoyNor
Time here now its 22.17.

Ok, I know about baking soda, but you are planning to paint the engine after? Dont the soda makes the metal very gloss/fine texture? Will the paint stick good on that?
Never tried baking soda since I am not after metalpolishing. :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2008 13:53 #221185 by ReneCon
Well, basicaly anything that can be turned into dust can become an abrasive for media blast machines. Soda has the advantage to be very soft and can be washed-diluted with water, opossed to, say, aluminum oxide or other dusted hard, agressive, metals, it depends on what you are blasting.

So if there is any soda leftovers in the pieces, they will pose no harm.
My concern is that maybe the old paint in the engine will be too stuborn for the soda.

Yes, I will paint the engine like the original flat black texture ... I don know yet if I will use 2400 Gun-Kote or Dupli-Color engine paint ... what do you think ??
I think any of these paints will stick good on the pieces, provided, as you now, that they are real clean, degreased and have some good tooth to adhere to, so I think it is not important if the blasted parts are dull or bright, (the will be painted anyway). I will take the engine apart

Did you use Gun-Kote 2400 on your golden engine ??? are you satisfied with the outcome ???

Saludos,
Rene.

What do you think ????

More
20 Jun 2008 14:07 #221188 by BigBlockT
I Just did a similar swap with a front end from a 2002 zx7 and swing arm from a 2004 zx6. If the lower tripple tree is like mine it is aluminum so you can't weld steel to it so we cut the zx stem off and milled it out plus on a lot of aluminum tripples they have a snap ring or clip in side that is what holds the stem in unlike the kz which is usually welded keep your kz tripple tree with stem in taked so the machine shop can duplicate it with a new stem with the correct clip so it won't fall out plus this way all your bearing fit along with your height on the stem, probably look real cool with the mono shock.

More
21 Jun 2008 01:36 #221285 by Zedone
Hey Roy its looking great! Keep your eyes peeled for my new build thread (in the projects section)in the near future. I got a new Canon camera with zoom but I have to resize the pics to make it work, I've been taking lots of pics right from the begining. Keep up the great work Roy, regards, Doug

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

More
21 Jun 2008 02:06 #221286 by RoyNor
Rene.

I have not used Dupli-Color, I am using the 2400 from Gun-Kote, all the colors I got is 2400.
I am very satisfied, its very easy to do this, and the result is very good!. :laugh:
After the part is done in the oven the paint is hardened and ready for use, when you scrape your nail on it its bonehard! And gloss if you chose a gloss color.
They also claims that the parts will be up to 7% cooler, after painted...

Gun-Kote says that you have to blast with aluminium oxide, in order to get that sharp good tooth to adhere on.
I am using sand, that looks right for me.
I have blasted on new Gun-Kote, and it sticks!
I dont believe that soda will remove the old paint 100%, and if some preowner have painted the head after it will be even worse to remove it.

I would not use anything else then oxide/sand to blast with, I think you get to smooth surface with soda, and the paint will not stick, or stick that long as it should, thinking on that labour you have done.
And that goes for all kind of paint I think.

Thats my opinion. :P

More
21 Jun 2008 02:54 #221290 by RoyNor
Zedone wrote:

Hey Roy its looking great! Keep your eyes peeled for my new build thread (in the projects section)in the near future. I got a new Canon camera with zoom but I have to resize the pics to make it work, I've been taking lots of pics right from the begining. Keep up the great work Roy, regards, Doug

AA, thats so nice!!
I will follow the project section closely!

If you download Image Resizer from Microsoft here
you can mark all pictures and right click and resize all of them together.
You find it a little bit down on that site.
I am very satisfied with that program.
So thats a hint if you not allready uses that or another program.

More
23 Jun 2008 12:36 #221703 by RoyNor
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2008 12:38 #221705 by RoyNor
Painted the forks with POR-15, using airbrush.
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2008 12:40 #221706 by RoyNor
Threadlock for the bolts on the brakediscs.
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2008 12:41 #221707 by RoyNor
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2008 12:42 #221708 by RoyNor
Just need to polishing the discs now. :laugh:
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2008 13:58 #221715 by 531blackbanshee
lookin good roy,black n gold sure look good together.can't wait to see the engine in there .

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0