Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kz440 Redemption 23 May 2015 22:01 #673431

• Jbosh
  • Jbosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Well, the beast is disassembled right down to the engine and frame! I am not going to touch the engine mechanically for a little bit and instead cleanup the frame of the unnecessary attachments and clips, soda blast the frame and rims, and have them ready for priming. I attempted to lift the engine out of the frame tonight. I'll be calling in an extra hand! We are at the turnaround!
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz440 Redemption 29 May 2015 09:25 #674351

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4

Attachment image-8.jpg not found

The engine is out! First one! Any tips on how to seal the openings so cleaner and junk doesn't get into the engine?

Also, any helpful pointers on soda blasting? That'll be another first. I have engine degreaser for engine prep but anything else I should do before painting her up?

Many thanks in advance
Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 03 Jun 2015 15:59 #675149

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Pics to come but the engine is on a rolling platform for easier work in my small garage and the rims, frame, centre stand, and triple tree have been blasted and ready for primer! De-nubbed the frame yesterday! I am trying my best to get her on the road this season or atleast before the wedding.

Kz440 Redemption 12 Jun 2015 08:22 #676300

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
In the past week, there has been primer!

Attachment image-9.jpg not found

Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 12 Jun 2015 08:51 #676305

• undiablo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
Good work!
Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

Kz440 Redemption 16 Jun 2015 20:26 #676894

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Okay, things have been too wet or windy to paint after priming everything. I got a head start on the seat pan. Air relief holes are drilled and I test fit the foam and I think I'm happy with the comfort. Problem is, ideally I'd like to have the seat on a hinge. Here's a pic of the old ones. I recall something like a t handle clamp of sorts and wondered if that would work to secure the seat to the frame? Do any of you know how brat seats are normally attached to a frame?

Attachment image-10.jpg not found

With the perspective foam (1 camping mat and a yoga mat)

Attachment image-11.jpg not found

Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 20 Jun 2015 22:43 #677530

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
The rims have seen their first coat of gloss black. I am really liking how they are turning out so far! I am trying to pull dents for the second time on the fuel tank. The whole tank as been stripped down but I can't seem to bond these 2 1/2" ardox nails to the tank via JB weld in order to pull them! I used wax and grease remover too. I dunno. I figure this really should not be as difficult as it has been. The knee wells are so close. Once those dents are pulled then the final knee end shaping can be wrapped up. I think I am going to bite the bullet and soda blast the engine to clean it off too. Engine degreaser isn't cutting it. Yeah, it's a really dirty engine... Atleast this old bike is seeing some love as best as I can. Once I figure out the seat pan mounts to the frame, the frame is ready to be gloss blacked as well! It's these little things...

Pics to come

Last edit: by Jbosh. Reason: Typos

Kz440 Redemption 21 Jun 2015 00:18 #677536

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
The engine is out! First one! Any tips on how to seal the openings so cleaner and junk doesn't get into the engine?

For sealing the carb inlets, I used 8mm MDF. I used the inet rubbers as a stencil, drew around them and cut out the MDF. I drilled bolt holes to match the originals and mounted these with a small bead of silicone using the original bolts.
For the exhaust ports,I stuffed each port with a plastic bag then filled up the opening with silicone.I also did this for the started motor hole
and for the crankcase breather.I just used a piece of wood,shaped and rounded to wedge in with some plummers white tape wrapped around it.
I degreased the engine,went over it with paint stripper then took it up to my local petrol sation and attacked it with the power washer.
It came up very well with no sign of water getting through. If I do it again though,I would coat the exhaust port openings with grease first to stop the silicone sealing to the alloy. It was a pig to get out.
Good luck with yours

P.S.Heres a link to some photos ,you can get the idea;
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh

Last edit: by davido.

Kz440 Redemption 21 Jun 2015 14:22 #677614

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Tada! First coat!

Attachment image-12.jpg not found

Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 22 Jun 2015 16:55 #677798

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Most of the mid size elements have hereby been revived paint wise. The gloss black is looking good! The rims turned out awesome and after it has fully cured in a week, it will be time for the new rubber! I feel like a doof but I had assumed that JB Weld epoxy was similar in metal bonding ability to their classic 2 part grey metal epoxy. Yeah the other stuff is general use. Lesson learned. Dents will now be pulled in the tank thanks to getting it right this time and the nail heads actually bonding to the tank. The dents are just a wee bit too deep for bondo. Soon though! Frame and tank will be bondoed at the same time.

The triple tree top and belt guard:

Attachment image-13.jpg not found

Rear swing arm and centre stand:

Attachment image-14.jpg not found

Question for the masses: Do you recommend clear coating the components that have been gloss blacked thus far? I have clear for the tank only at present. If so, what product?
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jbosh. Reason: Typo

Kz440 Redemption 22 Jun 2015 17:33 #677805

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Davido, thanks for sharing that link to your build thread! I see what you did there seal wise and I like it! Great idea and very simple. The electronics tray will be getting attention this evening but that there seal idea will have my mind on it for the next few days. Thanks for helping out this Canuck!

Kz440 Redemption 22 Jun 2015 21:32 #677833

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Electronics and map tray stencil

Attachment image-15.jpg not found

Attachment image-16.jpg not found

1.5" deep tray with plans for an attached battery box in the forward section. Still working out how things will function but hey, what else do you do while waiting to pull dents from the tank! Well... there's lots haha. I'm thinking of attaching to the old airbox anchor holes, the cross bar in the seat frame, and just ahead of the rear loop. Now to figure out the seat hinge, lock, and how to seal things from the elements under the seat...

Some days this feels like more than an evening hobby. Good thing my wife to be is on board!
Attachments: