Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:1982 KZ1000p project progress 15 Aug 2016 12:21 #738771

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2633
Yes, it's the sense wire for the regulator. Normally it goes to the ignition switch.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: blakeem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 15 Aug 2016 13:00 #738776

• blakeem
  • blakeem's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the help!

Since it had 10amp fuse originally I'll put it into the AUX block so it can use the the m-unit fuse.

Since the ignition is a hot wire off the battery I'll need to add an inline 30 amp fuse to that.

I'll need to run wires for the oil pressure warning light and the neutral light. As long as it lights up when they are grounded I think they should be good.

I'm sure I'm missing something, not counting the kickstand/clutch switches that I removed.

Last edit: by blakeem.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 15 Aug 2016 14:01 #738786

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Just jump them.
Steve

1982 KZ1000p project progress 16 Aug 2016 11:39 #738889

• blakeem
  • User
The wiring is figured out so now I'm determining how to deal with the frame. I need to patch the holes from where I removed the centerstand. Here is was before I cleaned it up.

I'm about to buy a Hobart 500553 Handler 210 MVP but I'm hesitant because I've never welded before. It says that it can do 140 amps at 110v, from what I've read that should be plenty for the frame.

I think the frame is mild steel so it should be easy to weld. I cut a lot off the bike that I could practice on. I'd also weld on an exhaust bracket and if I get good I could try to weld aluminum sheet to make a battery box later on. I know the wire and/or gas I get is determined by what I'm welding so I'll need to get that right.

Does anyone here have experience with flux core or gas mig welding that could offer any advice to a complete novice? This week I need to get a mig welder or take the frame in to have a professional tig weld it.

I've watched many hours of videos and read a lot on welding so I know how it should sound and look when I'm done. I know flux core splatters and slag can be a problem. I don't want a cheap welder and beginners seem to have good luck making clean welds using the Hobart and I like the ability to add shielding gas. I only have 110v outlets now but I like the ability to do 220v in the future.

What do you guys think? Is this something I could tackle myself? I plan on getting a welder at some point so this seems like a good time to start learning.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 16 Aug 2016 11:46 #738892

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I say go for it.
Steve

1982 KZ1000p project progress 16 Aug 2016 15:23 #738931

• blakeem
  • User
I did a lot more research and I'm confident that this is something I could do well with a little practice. I ordered the Hobart welder, some extra flux-corded wire, and all the protective stuff. It will arrive by Friday so I can start welding this weekend. It should be a good learning experience.

I'm starting to think about a seat pan. I've always wanted to try my hand at fiberglass, it seems like it would be much easier than welding one.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 16 Aug 2016 15:32 #738934

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Once you get past the "ick" factor. it should be fun.
Steve

1982 KZ1000p project progress 17 Aug 2016 05:53 #739000

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
here's my advice
get the hobart.
it will do most anything you want to do short of building dump trucks(and with some pre-heat could do that too :P )
but don't waste your money or most importantly your early learning on the flux core.
i have been certified to weld in any position,and have never been satisfied with the welds that i can do with flux core.
and for a total novice to start with flux core will be very frustrating to say the least.
and if you do decide to use the flux core,don't weld on your bike as the welds will look hideous and you'll be grinding them down to be acceptable.
and we all no what they call guys that need a grinder to make there welds look passable :whistle:

so my advice is get some .035 wire in er60s-2 and a bottle of co2/argon hook up the regulator and bottle and enjoy learning a new skill that you will use from now on.
you will learn fast and easy and with a little practice can do any welding mods on your bike that you desire with good safe results.

that sir is my .02 fwiw,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

1982 KZ1000p project progress 17 Aug 2016 10:11 #739015

• blakeem
  • User
I've seen some nice welds using flux core. This welding instructor has some of the nicest flux core welds I've seen.

If I can replicate his technique I will only need a wire brush and the welds should look as good as from the factory. If my welds require grinding I'm doing something wrong.

I was planing on using shielding gas when I weld stainless or get a spool gun to weld aluminum.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 23 Aug 2016 03:27 #739584

• motorscot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Definitely DON"T listen to a certified welder (531blackbanshee) when he give you advice on purchasing a regulator and a bottle of shielding gas :whistle:

Your instructor has years of experience, you do not. I'm a self taught welder and can stack dimes when I take my time and I use gas.

Flux core welding sucks a bag of dicks and seriously extends your learning curve.

Do what you want.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: baldy110

1982 KZ1000p project progress 23 Aug 2016 07:04 #739603

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
+1 what motorscot says.

If you have never welded before, then flux core is NOT the way to learn. I almost threw out my welder after trying to learn with flux core. Then I got the tank and connected it and it was like night and day different. I had the epiphany moment - "Ahhh! This is the way it is supposed to work!".
You won't regret going with the co2/argon. You will seriously doubt your skill and sanity going with flux core wire.
Plus gas is just so much neater and cleaner looking.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 23 Aug 2016 10:18 #739642

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I took a 2 day welding course last year, just so I could build my bike. It covered various types of welding and I did ok,to be honest. The most difficult for me was the TIG welding.( Ironiclly the most usefull for bike building!) The main point that the teacher tried to get across was that, he could teach me how to join 2 pieces of steel but the only way that I would learn how to weld properly was to practice. It matters not which method you use, you need to put the hours in to get a good result. I can join 2 bits of metal but it looks a mess.Im using gasless MIG as the gear is there and its easier to weld thin steel with that than with electodes.Less burn through.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the earlier Z frames had smaller diameter tubing but with a thicker wall. The latter Zs have a fatter tube but the wall is thinner. A lot easier to blow through,whatever method you use.
Thats my tuppence worth (as a novice welder)
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)