Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1000p project progress 28 Aug 2015 05:34 #687442

• Puffin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 32
That looks great Blake keep it coming B)
KZ1000 J Long Term Owner

KZ1100

KZ1100 Spectre project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 31 Aug 2015 10:09 #688036

• blakeem
  • blakeem's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
All I was able to do this weekend was remove the rest of the center stand and file down the old seat brackets. It took a few hours although it was easier than I expected.

Most of it came off using the chisel using the angle grinder cutting wheel to give it a good place to start. There was a lot of rust and moisture underneath.

All removed, now I just need some grinding to clean the rest up. I'll have the welder fill in the holes that were left.

All the bits removed. The center stand is on the right and seat brackets on the left.

These were the last bits that I have to remove from the frame so after some cleanup and finishing I can start on some fun stuff.

Last edit: by blakeem.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 01 Sep 2015 05:55 #688147

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
those motogadget bits are pretty sweet looking :whistle: !

don't hate me for sayin,
but man i'm thinkin that just cutting the whole tube section out and replacing it would have been much easier than removing all the funk and having to deal with that pitted tube :sick:

your in this deep tho, :P
so a few little spot fills and some grind,file,sanding and you can make it disappear.

keep us posted ,this thing is really coming together cool.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

1982 KZ1000p project progress 01 Sep 2015 12:19 #688193

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
blakeem wrote:
It seems to clear it fine, if not I was thinking of moving the kickstand anyway. I may still powder coat it so I'm going to make it into a roller to make sure everything fits.

Another thing to consider with the rearsets is clearance for the exhaust....

Also your kickstand, often needs to go a touch longer or move the mount so the 'foot' of the stand doesn't get in the way of the gear shifter. I was going to move the stand but got lucky on my GPz750 and 'borrowed' the ELR stand, just a couple of inches longer.

Nice project. Now put it all back to standard, us 'collectors' dissaprove :laugh:
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

1982 KZ1000p project progress 01 Sep 2015 21:27 #688264

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
This is one of the better mods. B)
Steve

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 11:35 #690708

• blakeem
  • User
I'm free all this weekend to get some work done on the bike so I should have a big update soon. In the meantime I was keeping an eye out for another classic styled bike to ride while I finish this one.

I happened across this 1992 KZ1000p for sale in the San Diego area.
sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/5227702518.html

I'm sure many people here recognize it. This bike was inspiration for my own project (where I got the idea for the GSXR rearsets).
www.pipeburn.com/home/2012/04/16/1992-ka...er-bullit-cafes.html

He said that he's the 3rd owner and it wasn't running when he got it. I'm very tempted to go check it out, what do you guys think?

A friend said it was built by a guy in San Marcos and he saw it for sale for $4500 a few years ago when he bought his CBX.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 11:44 #690710

• jackleberry
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

blakeem wrote: I'm free all this weekend to get some work done on the bike so I should have a big update soon. In the meantime I was keeping an eye out for another classic styled bike to ride while I finish this one.

I happened across this 1992 KZ1000p for sale in the San Diego area.
sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/5227702518.html

I'm sure many people here recognize it. This bike was inspiration for my own project (where I got the idea for the GSXR rearsets).
www.pipeburn.com/home/2012/04/16/1992-ka...er-bullit-cafes.html

He said that he's the 3rd owner and it wasn't running when he got it. I'm very tempted to go check it out, what do you guys think?

A friend said it was built by a guy in San Marcos and he saw it for sale for $4500 a few years ago when he bought his CBX.

Looks like an overpriced heap to me. Quote from the article "I'm sure it will do the ton.", well I should hope so. I've been to 120MPH on my stock KZP on crappy country roads at midnight.
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 12:17 #690720

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
I'll pass. :whistle:
Steve

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 13:01 #690729

• blakeem
  • User
It looks rough from sitting so I wouldn't pay that much for it. It's probably unbearably loud as well.

I did some more research and it seems that it was built in Spokane Washington. I found the website and blog of the guy that created it. He rebuilt the top end, rings, and honed the cylinders in April 2012 and I doubt many miles were put on it since then. He builds many custom bikes and put thousands of hours into this one. If it runs and handles well without any issues I'd pay about $2000 for it. The guy that built it also has a 1978 KZ 1428cc Turbocharged Drag Bike and many other KZ's so he seems to know what he's doing.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 13:22 #690732

• jackleberry
  • User

blakeem wrote: It looks rough from sitting so I wouldn't pay that much for it. It's probably unbearably loud as well.

I did some more research and it seems that it was built in Spokane Washington. I found the website and blog of the guy that created it. He rebuilt the top end, rings, and honed the cylinders in April 2012 and I doubt many miles were put on it since then. He builds many custom bikes and put thousands of hours into this one. If it runs and handles well without any issues I'd pay about $2000 for it. The guy that built it also has a 1978 KZ 1428cc Turbocharged Drag Bike and many other KZ's so he seems to know what he's doing.

$2000 is getting a bit more reasonable, but it would still take a bundle to get that bike street worthy again. New exhaust (with muffler!) and an airbox are just the start.

OT: What is up with the cafe-racer fetish of having that big empty space in the middle of the frame anyway? This is one aspect of the cafe racer look that I just don't get.
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 14:40 #690736

• blakeem
  • User

jackleberry wrote: $2000 is getting a bit more reasonable, but it would still take a bundle to get that bike street worthy again. New exhaust (with muffler!) and an airbox are just the start.

OT: What is up with the cafe-racer fetish of having that big empty space in the middle of the frame anyway? This is one aspect of the cafe racer look that I just don't get.

My project is going to have a big empty space in the middle of the frame just the same, although my bike's inspired by flat trackers. I like the lean stripped down look where everything that can be removed is removed. side covers and tabs are just more weight and removing them is cheaper than adding power and it improves handling and braking in the process. I ran pod filters on my KZ and I had no issues with them at all. I also ran straight pipe at one point and it was loud as hell so it would definitely need a muffler of some kind. I wouldn't get it unless I knew I could clean it up and sell it for more than I paid once my bike is complete.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 14:47 #690737

• jackleberry
  • User

blakeem wrote:

jackleberry wrote: $2000 is getting a bit more reasonable, but it would still take a bundle to get that bike street worthy again. New exhaust (with muffler!) and an airbox are just the start.

My project is going to have a big empty space in the middle of the frame just the same, although my bike's inspired by flat trackers. I like the lean stripped down look where everything that can be removed is removed. side covers and tabs are just more weight and removing them is cheaper than adding power and it improves handling and braking in the process. I ran pod filters on my KZ and I had no issues with them at all. I also ran straight pipe at one point and it was loud as hell so it would definitely need a muffler of some kind. I wouldn't get it unless I knew I could clean it up and sell it for more than I paid once my bike is complete.

Not to be rude, but I can take a dump and lose more weight than I could by cutting the side cover tabs off a frame. I seriously doubt it could improve performance. Having a big gap there could create more drag though... Just stick with the aesthetic reasons. Still can't say I get it, though. I have a friend with a cafe'd Honda CX500 who gets livid at the thought of having to put anything in that space. What's the point of having space if you can't use it?

If you can make the pods work, then more power to you. I live in Portland and ride year round, so I'm a bit biased against anything that doesn't work well soaking wet.
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed