Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1000p project progress 23 Jul 2015 09:42 #682336

• blakeem
  • blakeem's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
It seems to clear it fine, if not I was thinking of moving the kickstand anyway. I may still powder coat it so I'm going to make it into a roller to make sure everything fits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 25 Jul 2015 20:53 #682748

• blakeem
  • User
There are 4-5 chips on the cylinder jug fins. I tried to repair one today using aluminium epoxy but failed. The epoxy just couldn't get a good bond to the thin fins.

Now I'm considering making it an 1100 for not too much money by swapping the cylinder from an 1981-1982 KZ1100 or GPZ1100 and get nice fins in the process. I'd just need to get the larger pistons to match. From what I've read it should be a direct swap.

Is there anything else I should consider? I assume the pistons are the same height and the compression would be the same. I'll have to do more research before I start buying anything. I want to get the engine done so I can test fit everything, I'm thinking of getting Delkevic headers and a custom muffler, I don't like the Vance & Hines I have now. It sounds great but is huge and is too much chrome.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 25 Jul 2015 21:02 #682753

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Hey Blake, glad to se you're getting back to it. Didn't you buy a 1075 for it?
Steve

1982 KZ1000p project progress 26 Jul 2015 09:47 #682806

• blakeem
  • User
I still have the stock 998 ccm. I looked up the KZ1100 and it's 1082 ccm. They both list the same stroke, compression, and carbs just a larger bore so I think it would be an easy swap. The only difference I've read is with the lower case due to shaft vs chain drive.

Last edit: by blakeem.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 26 Jul 2015 10:34 #682816

• blakeem
  • User
I been doing more reading and the only other thing I'd need is the head and base gaskets from the KZ1100. The wrist pins should be 17mm on both. I could upgrade more internals while I'm at it since I'm likely to be replacing the pistons, although reliability is my #1 concern. If I can get power with the same or better reliability now is the time to do it.

One of the main reasons for wanting to use the Delkevic headers is to make custom mounting the muffler on the frame much easier. The Vance & Hines I have has the mount point way back by the rear wheel and I want a GP style exhaust so I'll only need a short bracket. The Vance & Hines has too much chrome and is too big and heavy. Something custom will really change the look of the bike.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 04 Aug 2015 07:49 #684241

• KZP15
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Maybe some used jugs with good fins and a Wiseco 1075 kit?

1982 KZ1000p project progress 04 Aug 2015 11:43 #684270

• blakeem
  • User

KZP15 wrote: Maybe some used jugs with good fins and a Wiseco 1075 kit?

I will have 1089cc for less than half that price and I'll only need to hone the cylinder rather than bore it. I've been looking for weeks and I've finally found a kz1100 J cylinder jug with matching pistons in perfect shape.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 11 Aug 2015 10:28 #685398

• blakeem
  • User
I just won a KZ1100 cylinder jug and pistons on E-Bay . It came to about $200 shipped. That's a good deal since I've been seeing good cylinder jugs for $170 and pistons about $30-50 each and it would have been hard to find a matching set.

I started ordering Motogadget M-Unit, M-Button, and the Cable Kit. I need to get the harness done while the engine is being built at the shop. I'll need to bring the frame back home so I can remove the center stand bracket, build a seat pan template for the welder, create an under seat aluminum box for the electronics, and start on the wiring.

I've been spending most of my free time at my girlfriend's place so I haven't had time to work on the bike much. I bought a Suzuki S40 recently that she's learning to ride. My garage is getting a bit crowded so I need to get the wiring harness off the ground and on the workbench today. I can't put it off any longer.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 27 Aug 2015 10:07 #687329

• blakeem
  • User
I sold the $300 SV650 for $2900. In the end I made about $1200 on it after putting about $1100 into it and paying the shop $300 to sell it for me. All this is going into the KZ project.

I got the KZ1100 Cylinder Jug and it looks great except for some damage during shipping.

The welder next door tig welded the fin and grinded it down. It looks great. The $50 is being paid by the Ebay seller.

I moved everything off the ground so I can easily work on it. I drained over 3 gallons out of the gas tank.

I have lots of room for the kickstand.

I grinded off all the seat hardware, I still have some filing and finishing to do, I'm going to build my own custom seat pan.

I started removing the center stand, it was breaking off anyway and would have required welding so might as well remove it. I took the tabs off using a cold chisel and a hammer. Now I have a lot of cutting and grinding to get the rest off. You can see why they weld it to a plate rather than directly to the frame.

Look what I got.

Last edit: by blakeem.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 27 Aug 2015 10:57 #687341

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286

blakeem wrote: It seems to clear it fine, if not I was thinking of moving the kickstand anyway. I may still powder coat it so I'm going to make it into a roller to make sure everything fits.

Another thing to consider with the rearsets is clearance for the exhaust.I didnt think about this when I welded on the mounts but now that the engine is in and the exhaust is fitted (temporarilly) ,the rear brake pedal is hitting the pipe.Im scratching my head about how to get around it. Looks like Ill have to make some adapter plates which is a bit of a bummer. So,keep it in mind.
Other than that,looking good.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

1982 KZ1000p project progress 27 Aug 2015 11:17 #687346

• blakeem
  • User

davido wrote:

blakeem wrote: It seems to clear it fine, if not I was thinking of moving the kickstand anyway. I may still powder coat it so I'm going to make it into a roller to make sure everything fits.

Another thing to consider with the rearsets is clearance for the exhaust.I didnt think about this when I welded on the mounts but now that the engine is in and the exhaust is fitted (temporarilly) ,the rear brake pedal is hitting the pipe.Im scratching my head about how to get around it. Looks like Ill have to make some adapter plates which is a bit of a bummer. So,keep it in mind.
Other than that,looking good.

I plan on getting Delkevic headers, I've seen someone else on the forms fit them to the KZ1000p even though it says it's for the pre-J engine. The Vance & Hines sound great but are too big for the look I'm going for.

I won't be using their muffler, I want to make a custom GP style exhaust. I was thinking about a SuperTrapp but they can be ugly. I want something short and stubby. It will be custom mounted and my rearsets are pretty high so it should be an easy fit.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 27 Aug 2015 12:25 #687349

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Hey Blake, good to see you're getting back to it. :woohoo: Keep us posted.
Steve