Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 23 Sep 2010 18:18 #401295

• Nelson
  • Nelson's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Thanks for the nice comments! I didn't mean to sound too negative. I'm pretty happy with how it's going and the visible welds will all look good.

The SV650 brakes are WAY better than stock. That includes the master cyl. They are almost too strong for the amount of traction I get with the stock size tire. Almost, not quite. Don't buy a 4 or more piston caliper because they are too wide adn won't clear the spokes.

I made aluminum plates to adapt them to the forks. Also had to grind down the mount points on the fork legs and make them a bit thinner so the caliper sits in the right place. I did that freehand with an angle grinder! Scary but it worked out fine. It's amazing what you can do freehand if you go really slow and check the measurements very frequently.
Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 23 Sep 2010 18:43 #401300

• Nelson
  • User
Anybody got some bearing numbers I can take to the local bearing house? For tapered roller brgns in the steering head.

That would be much quicker than ordering them and I'd like to drive in the new races before I paint the frame... just because I can.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 23 Sep 2010 19:17 #401312

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Nelson wrote:

Thanks for the nice comments! I didn't mean to sound too negative. I'm pretty happy with how it's going and the visible welds will all look good.

The SV650 brakes are WAY better than stock. That includes the master cyl. They are almost too strong for the amount of traction I get with the stock size tire. Almost, not quite. Don't buy a 4 or more piston caliper because they are too wide adn won't clear the spokes.

I made aluminum plates to adapt them to the forks. Also had to grind down the mount points on the fork legs and make them a bit thinner so the caliper sits in the right place. I did that freehand with an angle grinder! Scary but it worked out fine. It's amazing what you can do freehand if you go really slow and check the measurements very frequently.

got a picture,or didi miss it? :laugh:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 23 Sep 2010 19:26 #401317

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82
Nelson wrote:

Anybody got some bearing numbers I can take to the local bearing house? For tapered roller brgns in the steering head.

That would be much quicker than ordering them and I'd like to drive in the new races before I paint the frame... just because I can.

I would be interested if anyone could find a Timken cross reference for those bearings. I spent considerable time researching the subject on the internet, and it seems that they are a specialty piece. I never found a cross reference. You could just place an order with Z1 for only the bearings. That way they will ship priority mail. 2 or 3 days tops.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 23 Sep 2010 22:09 #401347

• Nelson
  • User
Thanks for saving me the trouble of searching for the bearings someplace else!

Plummen you didn't miss anything. I did the brake fab a couple years ago. At the beginning of this thread I mentioned I did these things over the last few yrs:

SV650 front brakes
Busa rear brake
ZRX shocks
GSXR steering damper
Shortened tail section and made bodywork from scratch
Made various carbon fiber bits
Upgraded to bigger CV carbs from police bike (very nice boost)

You can see most of this stuff in the pics I've posted, but no close ups.

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 23 Sep 2010 22:50 #401352

• Tuber
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the info.
Shame you aren't able to make templates or manufacture sets, so that others could adapt their brakes. I think that you would have a lot of interest.:cheer:
Near Edinburgh

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 26 Sep 2010 19:07 #402097

• Nelson
  • User
progress! Here is the first part completed and ready for assembly! OK it's only the battery box, but it's the first thing that DONE!
It's a crappy picture, but it actually does look pretty nice.

Do you like my fancy paint booth? :P
Attachments:

Last edit: by Nelson.

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 26 Sep 2010 19:13 #402098

• Nelson
  • User
The pipe is sanded, blasted and ready for paint. Here's your chance to talk me into spending money. I bought VHT "fireproof" header paint in flat black. They recommend their own primer of course.... Is it really necessary? Any experience with VHT? In my book "recommended" does not always mean "necessary." Yeah it's only $9 but I'm really trying to watch my pennies on this build. The "Governator" here in CA is doing his best to avoid paying me for the work I do.
Attachments:

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 26 Sep 2010 20:16 #402126

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
I'd say spring for the primer. If you don't use it and the paint fails, you'll wonder if it was because you didn't use the primer. So you'll strip it, and spend the money on the primer AND the paint again. If you use the primer right off the bat and the coating fails, you'll just know the paint is crap :ohmy:
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 26 Sep 2010 20:19 #402127

• Nelson
  • User
yeah I'm kind of leaning that way already.

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 26 Sep 2010 20:40 #402141

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
ive never used primer on a header,definately wipe it down with thinner before pain ting though B)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Nelson's KZ1000 Fighter? build 26 Sep 2010 21:04 #402153

• Nelson
  • User
oh really! and how's the longevity been? Any peeling?

I think I'm feeling cheap right now because I went to the autopaint place on Friday to scope things out and got some sticker shock! It's been about 15-20 yrs since I did anything with pro auto paint and I swear the prices are about 5 times what they were!!!

Last edit: by Nelson.