Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 20 Jul 2016 17:34 #735660

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
Adjust your steering head bearings. Tires can do this if not properly inflated or ones prone to it. :unsure:
I have a cruise control on my bike and use it all the time. I also filled my bars with silicon and wheel weights in the ends. Helped with the vibration and I can see in the mirrors now. :woohoo:
I hope you were joking about the clot. It could be life threatening. :dry:
In my 20-30's I would scream through the turns racing anyone that came by. I'd brag about being able to kiss the ground if I wanted to. A wonder how I made it this far. :whistle: I'll leave that to you young bucks. B)
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 20 Jul 2016 19:05 #735674

• SmokyOwl
  • SmokyOwl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
I'm am certain that it's the tire, it being new AND with a different tread, because it only occurred after the change of tires. Never had a problem before, riding a lot faster and much longer duration going to a different work site last year. I'm guessing letting out a little air should help, but right now I'm pretty sure it's at the recommended tire pressure so I'll probably only let out about 3psi, I'm only dealing with the problem for about 1/2 mile so it's not THAT huge a deal for commuting to work, but there is a good curve in it. The new deep tread allows more flex in the treads than the more worn tire did so the tiny grooves in the road I think would affect it more than a worn tire with shallower treads.

As far as the clot, definitely not joking about it. I have an appointment with the doc tomorrow morning about my sprained ankle and hopefully I'll remember to bring it up to him. Of course I'm no doc either, might not be a clot, could be anything, but something is definitely off in my right arm. Wish it was my left arm so I could maintain speed while trying to wave back the blood flow.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 20 Jul 2016 19:08 #735675

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Take care of it, hate to lose you. :unsure:
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 20 Jul 2016 22:45 #735694

• wallie2785
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys I have an 82 kz1100 a2 wondering if you could help me out I've rebuilt the carbs even cleaned them but the bike still bogs down Durning acceleration. I also have white exhaust that started after cleaning anyone have tips or suggestions

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 21 Jul 2016 09:56 #735743

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Doc said that the "clot' is likely just due to riding position. If it were a clot my arm would be numb all the time.

Wallie, maybe the rubber boots are not tight and allowing extra air in??? Somebody solved their issue doing that. Carbs are fickle by nature, if anything is off they don't want to work right.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 21 Jul 2016 13:28 #735757

• wallie2785
  • User
By rubber boots are you talking the ones that go from carb to air box or from engine to carbs because I took the air box off and put separate filters on each carb

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2016 08:48 #735842

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2072
Welp, there is the problem. With individual filters, often called pods, the carburetors will need to be rejetted and adjusted. It can be an expensive and tedious process just to get the bike to run nearly as well as it did with the factory setup.. If you are using cheap filters, they may be blocking the air jets on the rim of the intake side of the carbs.
Try putting "pods" or "pod filters" in the search box on this site and you will likely find hundreds of threads on the topic.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2016 10:43 #735852

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

SmokyOwl wrote: I'm am certain that it's the tire, it being new AND with a different tread, because it only occurred after the change of tires. Never had a problem before, riding a lot faster and much longer duration going to a different work site last year. I'm guessing letting out a little air should help, but right now I'm pretty sure it's at the recommended tire pressure so I'll probably only let out about 3psi, I'm only dealing with the problem for about 1/2 mile so it's not THAT huge a deal for commuting to work, but there is a good curve in it. The new deep tread allows more flex in the treads than the more worn tire did so the tiny grooves in the road I think would affect it more than a worn tire with shallower treads.

As far as the clot, definitely not joking about it. I have an appointment with the doc tomorrow morning about my sprained ankle and hopefully I'll remember to bring it up to him. Of course I'm no doc either, might not be a clot, could be anything, but something is definitely off in my right arm. Wish it was my left arm so I could maintain speed while trying to wave back the blood flow.

I'd be willing to bet the new tires are superior and sending road energy right into your worn steering head bearings.
9 times out of 10 your head shake, (at any variable speed) ...is from one of three things, loose or damaged head bearings, worn tires or worn/bad bearing in the swing arm pivot.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2016 12:44 #735863

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Wheel bearings could do it too.
Steve

1982 KZ1100a2 peacock 22 Jul 2016 15:06 #735885

• wallie2785
  • User
Hey guys I have a weird question which way goes the peacock point does the long end point to on or the short end I noticed there's a notch and when that is by on and the long end is pointed to print more gas goes through

1982 KZ1100a2 peacock 22 Jul 2016 17:07 #735905

• SmokyOwl
  • User

wallie2785 wrote: Hey guys I have a weird question which way goes the peacock point does the long end point to on or the short end I noticed there's a notch and when that is by on and the long end is pointed to print more gas goes through

See page 13, I posted a pic of mine along with pretty much the same question. Wherever the handle (where you move it, the part where your fingers are on) is located....THAT is the position the petcock is in.

1982 KZ1100a2 peacock 22 Jul 2016 17:44 #735912

• wallie2785
  • User
So if I got this right your saying the long end points to the position it's in (the long end is where your fingers go) is that correct