Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 15 Dec 2015 12:35 #703213

• SmokyOwl
  • SmokyOwl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Well I heard something interesting today at work. They probablly don't sell it anymore, but curiosity is strong. Back in the day when car engines had carburators there was a product from the manufacturers (Mopar?) that was a liquid. You would start the engine, slowly pour the liquid in the carburator, the engine would essentially choke on it and sputter while it was going in. When the container was empty you'd turn the engine off for 5 or 10 minutes, then restart the engine and black smoke would just pour out of the exhaust for like 15 minutes. Apparantly the stuff was a carbon deposit remover, and the stuff really worked MUCH better than that seafoam stuff. Where is that stuff now??

So day 29 of not riding. After being forced to look at the bike every time I drive into the garage I have finally covered the bike with a comforter blanket. I went to start it last weekend and it was covered with dew from the few very warm days that we had. I'm told this dew is common in the spring. Spring....man just typing that gives me a smile. Warm air hits cold metal = dew....which leads to rust = leads to SmokyOwl's unhappiness :(

In the meantime I've shared with my mother the comment of covering/plugging the exhaust pipes so varments cannot enter. She has opted to plug the exhaust outlets of her new HD with steel wool.

Edit: Can't believe nobody asked about the skull in my garage lol.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SmokyOwl.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 15 Dec 2015 13:00 #703214

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
Moth balls placed under your bike helps keep rodents ECT. away
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 15 Dec 2015 13:33 #703218

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration They probablly don't sell it anymore, but curiosity is strong. Back in the day when car engines had carburators there was a product from the manufacturers (Mopar?) that was a liquid. You would start the engine, slowly pour the liquid in the carburator, the engine would essentially choke on it and sputter while it was going in. When the container was empty you'd turn the engine off for 5 or 10 minutes, then restart the engine and black smoke would just pour out of the exhaust for like 15 minutes. Apparantly the stuff was a carbon deposit remover, and the stuff really worked MUCH better than that seafoam stuff. Where is that stuff now??

Sounds like Redex upper cylinder lubricant to me, good used diluted with petrol...I added some to free some sticky rings on one pot a while ago but not sure about it's effect when poured in neat. It makes clouds of smoke sure, but carbon takes some removal even on dismantled parts on the bench.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Last edit: by Tyrell Corp.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 16 Dec 2015 08:23 #703271

• Old Kaw Boy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
The Bike definitely looks worth saving with some effort. Keep it stock and you'll be surprised how many fans you'll have.

Good Luck
OLD KAW BOY

1979 LTD 1000

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 16 Dec 2015 08:40 #703273

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
OK, I'll bite, what's up with the scull on the shelf?
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 16 Dec 2015 10:20 #703282

• SmokyOwl
  • User

swest wrote: OK, I'll bite, what's up with the scull on the shelf?
Steve

Well I suppose I will satisfy your curiosity. It's the skull from my car mod pictures I posted earlier in this thread. Only resonable spot I could find that wouldn't get rolled about and scratched up. I mean everybody needs a skull next to their WD-40 right? I do get comments on it when I'm workin' around in the garage when neighbors stop by, I go "yeah that's Bob".

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 16 Dec 2015 11:15 #703285

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Good place for him. :blink:
Dirty Dan liked them. He had them everywhere. In his car, shop, house, he liked how it intimidated people. They didn't call him Dirty Dan for nothing. Crooked as they come. He died alone last Xmas. :whistle:
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 21 Dec 2015 08:04 #703861

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Took the bike out around the block a couple times after I had warmed it up. It was like 55 degrees out there it was awesome. Something I've noticed while having it in storage is that it's leaking oil, big suprise I know. No puddles happening underneath, but I know it's leaking from the upper engine. I'm going to be tracking this oil consumption over the winter, as I just filled it up shortly before storing it and just sitting and firing it up on the weekends it was over a half-quart low. Burning off in exhaust maybe?

Assuming my carbs don't crap out on me I might be considering taking it to the local shop for upper gasket replacements this spring. Any ideas of cost would be appreciated.

Last edit: by SmokyOwl.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 21 Dec 2015 08:55 #703864

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
That's a lot of oil. You haven't run it? Might as well replace the valve guide seals as well. You can take it apart with our help and have the shop do the special stuff.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 21 Dec 2015 10:37 #703873

• SmokyOwl
  • User

swest wrote: That's a lot of oil. You haven't run it? Might as well replace the valve guide seals as well. You can take it apart with our help and have the shop do the special stuff.
Steve

Run it at warmest part of Saturday or Sunday for 15 minutes. Don't know where the oil's goin'- it's like a magic trick or something. And evil magic trick by a warlock of horsepower.

If it's something that can be done without removing the whole engine out of the frame I should be okay with it. My guess is I'd have to remove the tank for access, which I'm not looking forward to but I'm capable of. In the meantime I'll continue my weekend startups through the winter and monitor the oil loss.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 21 Dec 2015 10:39 #703876

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Lets see your plugs. Could be valve guide seals. You can take the head off without removing the engine.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Dec 2015 21:13 #704017

• Barry2
  • User
  • Thank you received: 23

SmokyOwl wrote: Well I heard something interesting today at work. They probablly don't sell it anymore, but curiosity is strong. Back in the day when car engines had carburators there was a product from the manufacturers (Mopar?) that was a liquid. You would start the engine, slowly pour the liquid in the carburator, the engine would essentially choke on it and sputter while it was going in. When the container was empty you'd turn the engine off for 5 or 10 minutes, then restart the engine and black smoke would just pour out of the exhaust for like 15 minutes. Apparantly the stuff was a carbon deposit remover, and the stuff really worked MUCH better than that seafoam stuff. Where is that stuff now??

So day 29 of not riding. After being forced to look at the bike every time I drive into the garage I have finally covered the bike with a comforter blanket. I went to start it last weekend and it was covered with dew from the few very warm days that we had. I'm told this dew is common in the spring. Spring....man just typing that gives me a smile. Warm air hits cold metal = dew....which leads to rust = leads to SmokyOwl's unhappiness :(

In the meantime I've shared with my mother the comment of covering/plugging the exhaust pipes so varments cannot enter. She has opted to plug the exhaust outlets of her new HD with steel wool.

Edit: Can't believe nobody asked about the skull in my garage lol.

I never asked about the skull, I just figured it was a thief you caught some time Back
1976 KZ900