TOPIC:

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 23 Dec 2015 05:02 #704033

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 23 Dec 2015 05:16 #704036

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Was reading about the cylinder / piston cleaners in this thread
So am I the only one here who would pour water down the carb while the motor is running :pinch:
It was a common practice to warm up a car motor and pour water down the carb and open up the throttle to keep the motor from stalling and clouds of steam and junk would pour out the tail pipe :woohoo:
Cleaned the top end of the motor like a steam cleaner.
This was before fancy products currently available and before sensors, EFI, and emission stuff like catalytic converters
Oh Well I better go sit back in my rocker and drool :blink:
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 23 Dec 2015 05:23 #704039

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
I use a spray bottle and you can see the crap flying out. You have a good point. If a cat can be ruined by a bad plug wire and they do, what will that stuff do to the O2 censor, cat and other components?
Tune up in a can? BUNK
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 23 Dec 2015 05:30 #704041

• SmokyOwl
  • SmokyOwl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Was reading about the cylinder / piston cleaners in this thread
So am I the only one here who would pour water down the carb while the motor is running :pinch:
It was a common practice to warm up a car motor and pour water down the carb and open up the throttle to keep the motor from stalling and clouds of steam and junk would pour out the tail pipe :woohoo:
Cleaned the top end of the motor like a steam cleaner.
This was before fancy products currently available and before sensors, EFI, and emission stuff like catalytic converters
Oh Well I better go sit back in my rocker and drool :blink:
Dave B) B) B)

Sounds a lot like modern meth-injection to me, except of course this technique is short-term obviously.

Good news though, more documents came from the previous owner, and it included the ORIGINAL manual which was pretty cool. Forgot to get pictures of the plugs last night. Hopefully tonight I'll have a few moments between panicked gift shopping and panicked party-prepping.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 23 Dec 2015 05:46 #704045

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Cool. Have fun, it can wait. B)
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 23 Dec 2015 05:53 #704046

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071
I've read about the water method since the 1960s, but have never tried it. At any rate, pouring any liquid into a motorcycle intake system seems like a very risky proposition to me. Old carbureted cars typically had a large, hot, iron manifold with a huge plenum where incoming liquid could be vaporized. Motorcycles do not. Pouring liquid into a running KZ engine could result in bent rods. A spray bottle or aerosol can would be ok if used carefully.

Tune up in a can? Nope. Will such methods remove some carbon from the the engine. I think so.

Ymmv
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 23 Dec 2015 06:52 #704052

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972

TexasKZ wrote: I've read about the water method since the 1960s, but have never tried it. At any rate, pouring any liquid into a motorcycle intake system seems like a very risky proposition to me. Old carbureted cars typically had a large, hot, iron manifold with a huge plenum where incoming liquid could be vaporized. Motorcycles do not. Pouring liquid into a running KZ engine could result in bent rods. A spray bottle or aerosol can would be ok if used carefully.

I never did the water trick on any motorcycle and dont think it would be a good idea in general. Spray bootle would make it safer , but My motor came apart for updates often enough to not need to use such tricks.
Now my old Camaro was a different story
Dave B) B) B)

Tune up in a can? Nope. Will such methods remove some carbon from the the engine. I think so.

Ymmv

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 08 Feb 2016 05:06 #709946

• SmokyOwl
  • User
NOT happy. :(

I'm finding about a shotglass of clean motor oil below the carberators on top of the engine last two times I warmed it up. There is white smoke I believe burning off the oil from the warm engine accumulating under the gas tank and up the side of the tank. Bike smells of gasoline, and I found some oil coming out of one of the carberator's drain plugs too. I'm thinking the piston oil seals are shot, as there's a lot of oil where it shouldn't be. There was a lot of accumulated oil in the air cleaner box back when I swapped out my air filter too.

So petcock....a lot of gaskets, and compression and oil rings.

Last edit: by SmokyOwl.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 08 Feb 2016 05:09 #709948

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Clean it and run it, watch to see what's happening. Might not be too bad.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 12 Feb 2016 08:09 #710580

• SmokyOwl
  • User
OK, I'm on the fence with this one. found a set of 82' GPz1100 handlebars....would these be identical to the KZ1100 handlebars? If they're not right I don't see a point in getting them.

Since i bought the bike I've often wondered what the original handlebars would feel like while riding, sometimes the 45-degree angle handles I have now can be awkward when stopping, especially hard stopping. My hands move up the grips a little and it worries me sometimes I might hit the kill switch by mistake.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 12 Feb 2016 11:01 #710589

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Have you checked out Chaparral?
Steve
motorcycle.chaparral-racing.com/search?w=handle%20bars

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 25 Feb 2016 10:35 #712471

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Passed on the handlebars, somebody got a sweet deal of $60 on them for the handlebars & controls.

The weather has been warming on the weekends recently, took the bike out for a bit last weekend and I'll probablly do it again this weekend. I checked for that shotglass of clean oil on the crankcase....nuttin' there. Oil level's good, so we'll see what happens this weekend. Still gotta replace that top gasket though sometime.

I bought a replacement signal canceller as I'm pretty sure mine's not working. Worked when I got the bike, then maybe a month or two later looks like it got stuck or something. Paid just $11 for the replacement, so if I can get the original to work, no big loss. Now I just gotta figure out where this canceller thing goes.