Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 13 Jun 2016 15:50 #731249

• SmokyOwl
  • SmokyOwl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11

TexasKZ wrote: Like swest wrote, R is for resistor. Those plugs are designed to reduce RF interference. When using those plugs, be sure that you are NOT using resistor wires or resistor caps. Too much resistance can create problems.

For tire pressure, go to the tire manufacturers web site and use what the company recommends.

I don't think I have to worry about RF interference as I'm not running a radio or any other electrical stuff. The original owner had them in, and I replaced them with the exact same ones last fall. So maybe he put them in there for using helmet communication devices or something???? It looks like I don't need to worry about that as I don't plan on running a radio or stuff like that. From what I can tell the coils & wires are original, so no real worries there with there having been too much resistance. Now I'll have MAXIMUM SPARKAGE!!!

The tires had "max COLD pressure 41psi", and I like the idea of having a little extra grip in the corners for safety. Didn't have any trouble with the tires being a little low last week, so we'll see how it feels in the next couple days. Front was at like 20, rear was at 25(ish)... now both around 33-34psi. Just wanted to make sure the front wasn't that low on purpose as it's the first time I bothered checking the tires, maybe some people like riding like that, I dunno.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SmokyOwl.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 13 Jun 2016 15:56 #731252

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
Riding on low tires makes them overheat and wear faster. Gives the bike a sloppy feeling and can be dangerous. The only thing that will be disturbed is AM radio. FM is uneffected. The receiver might pick it up if you're right on top of it but but that would happen with points too.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 14 Jun 2016 13:31 #731376

• SmokyOwl
  • User
I checked my data on the tire pressure, man my memory is going. Edited the previous post about it to reflect actual findings. I'll go for a test ride tomorrow, and inflate again if need be.

In the meantime I've been using the claybar, cleaning, waxing, and polishing up the bike in preparation for the long weekend trip up north. I find using the claybar is particularly effective. I used it on the forks as well, as the final finish is clearcoat....or was I guess....it looks like somebody lightly grinded off the yellow haze. Still claybaring and waxing ended with a nice clean and smooth finish regardless.

I'm sure when I'm up north I'll be stopping by the previous owners place and talking to him about the bike and my progress riding. I'm sure it'll be a surprise for him as he probably didn't expect to ever see the bike again. Hopefully he'll appreciate the care and cleaning I've done to it.

I'm going to have to start saving up for a rear tire, there's maybe 1/8" left of the center tread.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 14 Jun 2016 14:41 #731384

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
How many miles is it?
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 14 Jun 2016 15:03 #731388

• SmokyOwl
  • User

swest wrote: How many miles is it?
Steve

Roughly 215 miles keeping to the interstate, which I doubt we will be on the entire way.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 14 Jun 2016 15:09 #731392

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Be careful.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 15 Jun 2016 10:53 #731518

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Well the practice ride went well, a lot bumpier but more stable. Think I'll leave the pressures where they're at. Will check on valve cover leaks tonight after work. Speaking of, although I tightened the valve cover bolts by feel, I rechecked their torque. A couple were a LITTLE off, but the ones I did check (maybe a third of them) were so close to the mark that I was confident of the rest of the bolts. Otherwise I'd have to remove the gas tank and coils all over again. Good to know I have a good feel for torque.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 16 Jun 2016 15:25 #731674

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Well....I did it. I bought a new set of tires. A rear 130/90-16 Pirelli MT66, and a front 100/90-19 Pirelli MT66 together for a pretty good price of $163. I'm told they're a bit better than the dunlops I have on now, they follow cracks in the road much less. I've always had a little trouble on onramps over that; shifting, accelerating hard, leaning.....then there's always that crack in the road that separates the onramp to the highway that wiggles the bike....every....single...time. Terrifying. Hopefully these tires will curb that, but I'm not holding my breath.

An interesting note, my current front tire was a 90/90-19. Now I did some checking and this size correlates more to a 3.00 rim, and my rim is actually a 3.50 which correlates to a 100/90-19 tire. Not sure how this change will affect the handling, but I'm glad I'll have the right size tire on next week. The front tire I have now still has about half it's tread left.

Really wish I had check my rear tire last week before this trip. Didn't know it was as bald as it is- it's almost to the "change your tire now" marking on the tire. I should be fine for the trip, but changing that rear tire is definitely on my to-do list next week.

Last edit: by SmokyOwl. Reason: Still can't figure out what is that sentencing properly.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 18 Jun 2016 19:39 #731933

• SmokyOwl
  • User
B) I made the trip up north.

What a ride it was. Fairly uneventful traffic for a Saturday, but the trials and tribulations were not on wheels. Body is not nearly as sore as I expected, but I know I've definitely been riding lol. gassed up only once, beautiful scenery with minimal traffic so you could actually appreciate it. Forgot to use sun lotion though :unsure: I'll be paying for that tomorrow.

The rear tire held up well, and still no alarming leaks to speak of with that new valve head gasket. JUST before I left the house the new set of tires showed up :woohoo: brightened up my spirits before I took off.

One thing that was quite worrisome before I took off there was a significant high-pitched, high-rate clattering in the 3,500 to 5,000 rpm range. Neighbor said it might be a slightly loose chain drive in the engine, It decreased significantly once the engine was properly warmed up though, so the worry subsided. Mostly worried cause that's pretty much where the engine rpms are at during highway and interstate speeds. Definitely coming from the engine, as I could just stand still and rev and the clattering would occur....I thought it might be a valve. Could be a lot of things I suppose.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jun 2016 13:20 #732435

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Ride home was pretty much uneventful too, stopped for some ice cream in Wisconsin Dells and I found out I can get 150+ miles to the tank. Ended up going about 500 miles round trip. It was a good learning experience for me. Hopefully I'll get to do it again this weekend again, with a easier 200 mile journey. New tires should be getting installed in 2 days, just in time for the next trip. Heard I should go "easier" in the corners with new tires until they're worn in, but that really shouldn't be an issue.

Any ideas on that clattering?

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 20 Jul 2016 16:34 #735647

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Well guys....this thread is now a year old and I think it's ready for a proper death. I've learned a lot in the past year, nearly crashing with the locking up of the back brake in a turn, learning to watch for traffic a LOT more closely, and I'm now making preparations to do some possible motovlogging. Not sure on that last bit, more of a wait-and-see right now.

I figured out that that rattling is in fact the chain, I haven't broken into the engine yet but I'm gathering any and all parts I'll need for the job, trying to scoop up as many NOS parts I can on eBay.

Speaking of eBay....I saw a 1979 Kawasaki Z1R-TC...the unicorn :woohoo: , for $25,000.....then it dropped to $20,000....and my 10-year-old self went....

But it was not meant to be....because my bank account laughed at me when I looked at it. Fortunately the bike never sold, and the post has been taken down. Maybe next year it'll be back.

So stuff I still need to learn.....cornering. Say the posted limit around a corner is 30....I could probably take the corner at 50 to 60mph in my car (depending on several factors)....but I think I'd be hard pressed to make that corner much more than the posted limit on my motorcycle. It's an ego-crushing venture going around corners for me, even though I have on occasion scraped my centerstand on corners, the speed just isn't there. I suppose it'll be that way for several years, as I didn't learn how to handle car cornering properly until about 10 years of driving. So patience Smoky....patience. :dry:

I have recently started to believe I have a blood clot in my right arm, as I lose blood/feeling pretty much from my bicep down when riding for much more than 20 minutes or so. Might start some hitting the gym harder, getting my heart rate up and pushing the clot through. Of course I suppose I could also give myself a heart attack doing that, but it'd be cheaper than going to the doc about it if it works. I got rid of my initial loss of blood in my hands from "death grip syndrome" after about my first month, and this is much different than that...as it goes up my arm much further and feels worse and taking longer to recover from.

Putting new Perelli tires on may have been a small mistake. Even though the old Dunlop ones were probably 10 years old, the ones I put on are better in a lot of ways. They don't follow cracks in the road nearly as bad as the old dunlops do, however when I encounter highways/interstates that have those shallow grooves cut in them for rain runoff.....HOLY CRAP :blink: the bike becomes highly unstable and the handlebars start wobbling. Going anything over 70mph is to court a meeting with pavement, as the bars start to shake about 1/4 to 1/2 inch at 70 and about 1 inch of wobble going 75. Now regular highways, no problem....it's just those rain grooves that are like an inch apart that run in the direction of traffic to hinder standing water, I think you can see them on almost every interstate road. I have kept the original front Dunlop tire, but it only has about 1/3 to 1/2 of it's tread left, and I'm not certain it'll fix the problem.

I'm hoping to get a final picture of my bike up in here this weekend. I've added a REALLY handy rear bag/compartment, it just opens with Velcro which is really fast and easy access.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 20 Jul 2016 17:12 #735657

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071
For improving riding skills, I recommend - www.amazon.com/Stayin-Safe-Science-Ridin...rsion*=1&*entries*=0

Some tires do have a hard time with rain groves, at least that's what I hear. (We don't have them around here.) It wouldn't hurt to check steering stem bearing adjustment, swing arm bearings and tire pressure to be certain none of them are contributing to the problem.

I am not a physician, but I really do not think you should fart around with a blood clot. In addition to a heart attack, a loose clot can cause a paralytic stroke or even death.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough