Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 06:06 #846768

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
I paid $350 for my 305, and after spending ~700 (tires, oil, chain, sprockets, etc) I could still make a couple hundred selling in this market - I can't bring myself to think of my vehicles as "investments" though. I'm too poor to spend 2k on anything, but I crossed that line on my 750 like 6 months after I picked it up. 

I knew nothing about wrenching until a boy I was seeing needed a hand with a head gasket on his friend's car, and I gradually learned more through life. I used to leave projects half-done for months, too, before I grew in confidence. Just to say, we all start somewhere.

A head gasket is not that bad, especially on a tiny engine like this, it's a one-day job. Personally I trust myself more than any mechanic. Maybe put your mower back together to get in the mood?
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 06:10 #846769

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

Maybe put your mower back together to get in the mood?
I agree. Completing even a small project can be a real confidence booster.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 07:19 #846780

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
This is why I make the videos so others can learn by my mistakes and how I try to figure them out. 
Steve

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 07:42 #846787

• 82KZ305Belt
  • 82KZ305Belt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35

A head gasket is not that bad, especially on a tiny engine like this, it's a one-day job. Personally I trust myself more than any mechanic. Maybe put your mower back together to get in the mood?

A one hour job usually ends up being a 1 day or 1 week job for me, because I have to fix all the things I broke while trying to fix the one thing that was wrong before I started fixing things.  But I do believe the 2 knowledgeable shops who told me it really should be rebuilt when the head gasket is done.

For instance, someone suggested I try tightening the head bolts when this problem first became evident. Instead I broke off one or two cylinder head cover (or whatever its called) bolts.

This is a good example of why I don't open up engines. That and the fact that I'll probably never put it back together. 

I'm coming to the unfortunate realization that I just can't afford a bike unless someone gifts it to me. I might never have had one if that $350 deal hadn't come along. That's the only bike I've ever had. 

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 07:53 #846788

• katit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48
I am yet to have project where I am not upside down financially. But I do that knowing what it's going to be. However, KZ650 project is a FIRST one where I stopped counting money spent. I enjoy doing that, otherwise it is much better to spend not 2 but 4k and get something running. For example, I bought mine for $800 (including 2nd parts bike). 

This is exact same bike just popped up today on CL. Of course it might need work but I would be riding all original bike in no time.
My only advice - don't touch engine without torque wrench and factory manual.

pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/renfrew-...i-kz/7307072488.html

78 KZ650B2A - resto in progress
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/615161...s-1978-kz650-project
Other bikes: 1978 BMW R100/7, 1978 Moto Guzzi T3, 2016 DRZ400s

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 08:20 #846791

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
I have a friend with a KZ650 in Chicago, who had the carbs taken off 20 or 30 years ago and never put back together. I've asked him to give it to me but he won't. My snowblower notwithstanding (I'll finish it when there's snow lol), I can put carbs back together.

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 09:18 #846798

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
I know a few people who seem unable to complete projects.  They usually have attention deficit disorder to some degree.  There are a few simple things that can keep a project moving forward.  First is to take lots of photos as you dismantle things so that you can refer to them when you re-mantle them.  Second is to have a bunch of baggies to hold related parts, and to number them in sequence as you take things apart.  Third is to have a tub where you can store all the baggies.  One is usually sufficient.  Fourth is to have a manual to guide you, and last is as already mentioned...have proper tools.  A torque wrench and some JIS screwdrivers are great investments.  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 10:05 #846806

• katit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48

I know a few people who seem unable to complete projects.  They usually have attention deficit disorder to some degree.  There are a few simple things that can keep a project moving forward.  First is to take lots of photos as you dismantle things so that you can refer to them when you re-mantle them.  Second is to have a bunch of baggies to hold related parts, and to number them in sequence as you take things apart.  Third is to have a tub where you can store all the baggies.  One is usually sufficient.  Fourth is to have a manual to guide you, and last is as already mentioned...have proper tools.  A torque wrench and some JIS screwdrivers are great investments.  

I am getting better with time. Now I not just take pictures, but I take videos pointing at parts and going over with my own voice, how they came out, what I see, etc. Because later, when it's all bagged and labeled - it's still can be challenge.

I didn't complete one project. It was leather skiver (I learned upholstery for fun) which I took apart, all photographed, etc. But then my phone dies. And I loose all pics. And I also realized I don't need that machine. Since then I have pics backed up to cloud and added videos to my procedure. 

Big challenge in restorations (what I experience now) - time to get parts. I was placing orders for batches here and there when I knew exactly what I need and price was right. But now I am getting ready to assemble. So, I need to lay out EVERYTHING. Cross-check with my notes. Cross-check with parts fiches. Then do DRY assembly of everything. And build list of missing/needed parts. Thats probably going to be most important detailed task where if I mess up - it will delay stuff another month.

Seems like getting parts with back orders and stuff takes about that long..
78 KZ650B2A - resto in progress
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/615161...s-1978-kz650-project
Other bikes: 1978 BMW R100/7, 1978 Moto Guzzi T3, 2016 DRZ400s

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 10:48 #846807

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User

Fifth through 8th for more complex and critical jobs are mechanical knowledge, desire, interest and aptitude. I have none of the above.  Its good to know the limits of your abilities. I don't doubt that I might be able to do it successfully, if I was extremely careful and demonstrated more eye for detail and patience than I normally possess, but don't underestimate my ability to screw it up either.   

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 10:51 #846808

• Highway Magician
  • User
  • Thank you received: 34

What exactly does this mean:  "total rebuild"?  Sounds like a smokescreen.

My advice is to post your location.  Maybe a Forum member who is local can assist you.

Also, if you're in the US, check Craigslist under Cycle Services, and seek references.

You could also DIY, with a shop manual.

I don't think this guy was smokescreening me, he's the only person I've talked to who sounded like he knows what he's talking about. I called another shop in the Twin Cities (I'm in Duluth) and they said the same thing. It'll be at least 2 grand and could be higher. Or I could take my chances on the guy who doesn't know what a valve stem seal is.
====================================================================================================

Highway Magician replied:

My point is that the term "TOTAL REBUILD" is not specific.  How long is a piece of string?  If you were buying huge quantities of string, wouldn't you want all of the specific details, before spending your money?  At least $2,000 for what, exactly?  It's a ridiculous price quote for this engine, unless at least $1,500 of that is for parts, machine shop costs, etc. (which do add up fast).  I know you won't be using this shop because of the cost but the best way to see if you're about to get hosed, is to get a written estimate.     

This engine is an easy side job for a tech who knows what they are doing.  Know up-front what the terms are, and get everything in writing.

Motorcycle builder since 1973. Master Tech. Current bike: 1982 GPZ1100B2.

Last edit: by Highway Magician.

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 11:24 #846813

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
Blue Cat Motorcycle in Twin Cities and Color and Chrome in Superior WI. Call em and ask what it would cost to replace your HG. I don't have 2 grand to spend, so there's no point in hoping it isnt that much. if they tear it down and I cant pay for everything it needs, I end up owing money and still don't have a bike. 

The unpredictability mentioned above is what they both mentioned. Neither could guarantee that they would just need to replace the head gasket. Time spent chasing down parts was mentioned. Possible piston, rings, cylinder work, etc etc...of course they don't know what it needs without getting in there so the 2000 (to 3000) is for worst case scenario.

I could take it to the poser and he might quote me 500, get into it, and then realize its a 2000 job too.

Head Gasket Repair 15 Apr 2021 11:33 #846814

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
that may seem expensive and it is, but most shops won't even work on it. Most of the ones that will are nobodies with little experience with these bikes. There just arent a lot of good choices where I live. the one guy who was known for his work on japanese vintage bikes no longer does it.