Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

EV's 29 Sep 2022 17:22 #874821

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

Probably about as well as the internal combustion engines that are underwater.
Last edit: by DoctoRot.
The topic has been locked.

EV's 29 Sep 2022 17:26 #874822

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2626
Ah but will they short out and burn up? 
Steve

EV's 29 Sep 2022 17:29 #874823

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member

Here’s the video Steve. Sad a $60k truck that used 150 miles of battery range to go 64 miles. Towing 3500 lbs trailer. 

This is clickbait for people without critical thinking abilities.

You ever look around and wonder why all these lifted trucks are never towing anything? its because they never tow anything. vast majority of people with full size trucks use them to commute and go to the grocery store, maybe haul mulch once a year.
You think the mammoth marketing department behind ford would take this kind of risk without doing market analysis?
They are literally soldout of the lightening through 2023. If you want to tow there are still options for that. This is a new market niche.

Maybe a bunch of greybeards aren't their target demographic? its those damn kids with their rock and roll and their hippity hop! lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mc Tavish

EV's 29 Sep 2022 17:30 #874824

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member

Steve

do you even understand how these cars are constructed? this is idiotic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mc Tavish

EV's 29 Sep 2022 17:32 #874826

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
To be fair 
Naples Fire Dept  Trucks  which are diesel powered were smoking from the high water surge  ( Three feet deep salt water )
And had to be pushed out of the fire hall as the chief was  worried when they started smoking that the trucks might start a  fire and burn down the station 
Always a embarassing  moment when the firehall burns 
DD

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctoRot
Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

EV's 29 Sep 2022 17:33 #874827

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member

To be fair 
Naples Fire Dept  Trucks  which are diesel powered were smoking from the high water surge  ( Three feet deep salt water )
And had to be pushed out of the fire hall as the chief was  worried when they started smoking that the trucks might start a  fire and burn down the station 
Always a embarassing  moment when the firehall burns 
DD

this guy gets it. take notes Steve.

EV's 29 Sep 2022 17:37 #874828

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1863
Doc, I posted the video from Steve’s article. BTW I don’t fall for click bait. I actually watched the entire video. I work construction so my use of a truck is to use it as a truck. So I’m looking at this from pure performance angle.

I found this one. Long and full of data, the high capacity max towing Lightning XLT. Pretty impressive. Down hill the regen added back kWh and range. Uphill it broke the tires loose when the stabbed the throttle. But again the capacity just isn’t there. Used way too much power to go 8 miles. So impressive but also such a disappointment. 

Im leaning in. Again it’s not the technology. It’s the way government is playing and mandating this stuff. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest
Last edit: by Mikaw.

EV's 29 Sep 2022 19:18 #874831

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

Steve

do you even understand how these cars are constructed? this is idiotic.

And you talk about critical thinking?  
All I'm seeing are your attacks. 
Steve

EV's 29 Sep 2022 21:15 #874836

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member

And you talk about critical thinking?  

All I'm seeing are your attacks. 
Steve

You are right, and I am sorry.
I do appreciate you Steve, and i apologize for coming off like a asshole (trust me..i know). But I do not appreciate partisan bullshit in any form, from anyone. its literally destroying society from the inside out.
Your political nonsense early in this thread really hit a nerve this time. I don't think you understand how off putting it is to the people who do not agree with you on here. You have pissed off some of the members and I think you are fairly unaware of it - this site is nothing without membership. When i see that membership jeopardized, particularly by a moderator, it really pisses me off. One of the things that makes KZR remarkable is how little political discourse there is here. Everything else is political these days - you can't buy a can of fucking Coke with out someone spouting some political crap. No problem in debating EV's but the political edge that this conversation has is pissing me the fuck off.

Its not for me to decide what is appropriate content or not but, I decided I would hold no quarter in swatting down the bullshit this time - at least until i get bored and go burn some ants with a magnifying glass in the driveway, or get distracted thinking about how I'm going to get my neighbors dog to stop shitting in my yard.... fucking labradoodles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC

EV's 29 Sep 2022 21:27 #874837

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member

Doc, I posted the video from Steve’s article. BTW I don’t fall for click bait. I actually watched the entire video. I work construction so my use of a truck is to use it as a truck. So I’m looking at this from pure performance angle.

I found this one. Long and full of data, the high capacity max towing Lightning XLT. Pretty impressive. Down hill the regen added back kWh and range. Uphill it broke the tires loose when the stabbed the throttle. But again the capacity just isn’t there. Used way too much power to go 8 miles. So impressive but also such a disappointment. 

Im leaning in. Again it’s not the technology. It’s the way government is playing and mandating this stuff. 

I appreciate that you have made the effort to keep this less political.

It appears its a new market segment that Ford is targeting - people that commute and daily drive light duty trucks. this is for them. Identifying and targeting new market segments literally can make or break an automotive company. Ford knows this better than most. The first mustang was a genius insight to the changing social paradigm, and every other manufacturer was left scrambling to compete.

These trucks are not for people that actually use trucks for towing or driving long distance. There probably will always be ICE trucks for people that do but I would guess percentage of miles driven by light duty trucks where they are hauling or towing is very small.

I would guess (this may be bullshit) that many people who buy trucks and use them like cars do so because they want to virtue signal. So many people that work in offices are driving these $60k+ lifted trucks. Meanwhile contractors are driving a 10+ year old truck dented to crap with paint splattered on it and gardeners are driving a 20+ year old Tacoma with clapped out suspension. You ever see these people that drive around with these tents, shovels and gas can strapped to their truck to drive to the grocery store? A $2000 tent you use twice a year and most of its use comes from looking cool on your truck. Its about curating a self image with your vehicle. The Rivian and Lightning trucks trucks are no different, they are appealing to the Patagucci crowd.

EV's 30 Sep 2022 02:18 #874842

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250
Nearly all the postal vans in my city Galway are electric, Galway runs on 70% renewable wind energy and climbing every year, Short run vehicles that do the job of the older diesel ones. 
06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

EV's 30 Sep 2022 08:12 #874844

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I didn't start this thread to be political BUT it is fair to ask why now when there isn't the power structure to support them, what are the safety issues with them, mileage and so on. Anything can be made to seem political by twisting the words/meanings to suit an agenda. 
Case in point.  www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/61...-ev-s?start=0#874270
"Virtue signaling" Can be deemed to be a political statement if taken that way. Too often someone is "Triggered" by a comment, link or meme when in fact there's an underlying reason in them for this. I will still ask questions and if I get a snarky answer i will go on without being OFFENDED. 
I have a thicker skin than that and I wish others did as well. 
Steve