Painting My Bodywork

More
02 Aug 2010 19:11 #387798 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Painting My Bodywork
eastwood.com and the sears catalog are like playboy magazine for us old farts,ive got their catalog laying here someplace B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Aug 2010 19:11 #387799 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Painting My Bodywork
trianglelaguna wrote:

cool i gotta get the you tube thing going too..sweet clip.....

Personally, I think you should show us a video of you polishing the crap out of that 1000....I need some instructional videos on that...

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Aug 2010 20:14 #388013 by DoubleDub
Not much progress today. I swear it's like 150% humidity right now. The third coat of primer cured overnight and I wet sanded it this evening. I have a couple of spots where there are "gouges" (very small) that I'm trying to even out slowly but otherwise the tank is looking great! I should have done this wet sand thing a long time ago! :P

I also scuffed up the plastic side covers some. One of them (left side) had a small crack forming between the top mounting peg and the bottom mounting peg so I put some Loctite Plastic Epoxy on it to see if that will keep it from splitting after painting this time. I just can't see buying a second new cover for that small of a crack.

I'm working on the paint scheme - maybe I'll have a model done before I start spraying color and will post it.

Not sure if I'll have this all done for the RockerBox show this weekend. Real bummer, but that's what my lazy ass gets for putting it off until this week.

More
04 Aug 2010 03:32 #388050 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Painting My Bodywork
If your planning on optimum cure times, no way in hell you'll make the weekend....

Now if you do (cut corners/timing) and your paint turns to crap.... Guess what our response will be... :laugh:

Damn kids these days, no patience what so ever.... :S

NOTE: We heard the same thing when we were young from the old timers.... :blush:

As you mentioned, go over her with a fine tooth comb... Get all the little scratches/imperfections/dust bunnies etc... out before painting.

No doubt for if you don't, then the paint layers will add to the scratches and pending paint color, these babies will amplify in being noticed... Especially gloss black... Whoa, :blink:

Can't wait to see how this comes out.... Another Dupli-color success story... brings a tear of joy to the eyes..... :cheer:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
04 Aug 2010 05:06 #388056 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Painting My Bodywork
Humidity wreaks havoc on paint jobs. It's been like a jungle in NJ so I stunk up my house for a coupla days and sprayed it in my a/c'd basement. Blue painters tape is a little too sticky and may lift your new paint so you might want to get that green tape. I had to repair a few areas from the blue tape.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2010 15:11 #388183 by DoubleDub
Wish I could paint inside, but I'm pretty sure the wife would castrate me. Not what I'm looking for.

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2010 17:39 #388221 by DoubleDub
Thanks for the tip about the tape, also. I used the blue tape last time but didn't realize it left a residue and my clear didn't adhere like it should have. Of course, I wasn't wet sanding last time either. It makes an amazing amount of difference.

Since the humidity dropped from approx. 95% to 60% today, I'm hoping to make some progress. I think I just about have the primer where I want it. I have a coat drying right now and I will do another wet sand and dry before putting the base color (the graphite Duplicolor Wheel Paint) on the bike. I'm debating between the following:
1. A single low-gloss black stripe down the middle of the tank/tail.
2. A single low-gloss black stripe down the middle of the tank/tail with a smaller white strip on either side.
3. The opposite of #2.

I'm leaning towards #2, but it will take a lot of time and taping, too. But hey, I want to do it right.

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2010 20:34 #388272 by DoubleDub
Some progress tonight.

A photo of the wet sanding:
Attachments:

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2010 20:34 - 04 Aug 2010 20:35 #388273 by DoubleDub
A photo of the first coat of paint.

Edit: Those spots are from the camera, not the paint.
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 20:35 by DoubleDub.

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Aug 2010 16:47 #388762 by DoubleDub
Made a little more progress today. Wet sanded the first coat and found a few spots where I didn't put down enough paint and found one run:

Attachments:

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Aug 2010 16:47 #388763 by DoubleDub
The run and a few more low spots:

Attachments:

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Aug 2010 16:49 - 06 Aug 2010 16:50 #388764 by DoubleDub
And, after drying from wet sanding and tacking with a 3M Tack Cloth
( www.shop3m.com/70070595015.html?cshift_ck=null&client_id=5093 - available locally at Farm & Fleet )

The second coat of Duplicolor Graphite Wheel Paint - looking pretty good if I don't say so myself!

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2010 16:50 by DoubleDub.