Fibreglass Cafe Seat Build

More
15 Apr 2008 04:16 #206606 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Fibreglass Cafe Seat Build
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2008 04:21 #206607 by HerrDeacon
I then moved on to putting the foam on the seat pan. For the foam I'm using a large kneeling pad I picked up at Princess Auto. It seems dense enough and is comfortable, but I won't really know how it is until I actually ride the bike. If it's not suitable I'll find something else.

I decided to cut two separate pieces; one for the horizontal part of the seat and one for the seat back. I used 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive to stick the foam to the pan and it worked great. I don't have many pics of the process but here is one where I have the foam glued to the pan.

Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2008 04:22 #206608 by HerrDeacon
In the pic above is my tool of choice to shape the foam after it's all glued on: an angle grinder with a sanding disc.

Here are a couple more showing the two pieces glued on and a rough shape cut out.

Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2008 04:22 #206609 by HerrDeacon
Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2008 04:24 #206610 by HerrDeacon
After a lot sanding with the grinder (and a HUGE mess of black dust in the garage) I got a final shape that I was happy with. Here's a pic of the uncovered pan on the bike.

Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2008 04:24 #206611 by HerrDeacon
Since I had the cushion part of the seat straightened away and wouldn't have to be doing any more test fittings I moved on to painting. I started by laying a base coat of Dupli-Color Dark Shadow Gray (T299). This is my first time using Dupli-Color for finish type work. I've used their high temp stuff for some of the exhaust pipes on my car before but never where a good finish was required. I normally like using Tremclad but I couldn't get the colours that I wanted. I must say, so far I'm please with the Dupli-Color. It sprays on nice and drys pretty fast. Here are a couple of pics of the base colour:

Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2008 04:25 #206612 by HerrDeacon
Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2008 04:25 #206613 by HerrDeacon
Next up was stripes. This being my first time with stripes I wasn't sure how they would turn out. I got some good advise from some of you on getting them straight and symmetrical, thanks for the tips. They came out pretty decent, not perfect, but I'm please especially for my first time. These pics show the stripes but I still need to wetsand and apply the clear coat. I should get this done sometime this week. I also put the tail light lens on to see how it looked.

Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2008 04:26 #206614 by HerrDeacon
Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2008 04:26 #206615 by HerrDeacon
Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2008 04:28 #206617 by HerrDeacon
Last night I wet sanded the seat and applied a few coats of clear coat. Tonight I'll wet sand that and buff it out. Just need to cover the cushion and I should be done. I'll post some pics of the finished product then. Hopefully the rest of the bike will be complete soon too so I can get a pic of the complete bike.

More
15 Apr 2008 06:15 #206628 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Fibreglass Cafe Seat Build
Nice work! Commin along nicely.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s