Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Knee Dents in the stock tank... do it up. 24 Dec 2005 10:37 #14400

• twowheeledterror
  • twowheeledterror's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Just another link that may be of interest to some people who are reading this thread...

Yup, that's a custom Z1 tank! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Knee Dents in the stock tank... do it up. 24 Dec 2005 10:55 #14404

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Okay, about that tank. Why did you not use an air powered cutoff wheel? (truce) Is the curve too tight? I keep my worn down ones for the times when I need a tighter curve. I usually use about 60 psi on sheet metal, then just keep the speed down with the throttle lever to prevent warpage. What are you going to dip it in to ensure no gas is there? Won't it dry with all the new airflow from the big holes? Or was it dry already (since it didn't blow up from the cutting sparks)? Thanks.

Knee Dents in the stock tank... do it up. 24 Dec 2005 10:59 #14405

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
That's a good question... how do you get those tight curves with the wheel?

Knee Dents in the stock tank... do it up. 24 Dec 2005 11:03 #14407

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
ronboskz650sr wrote:

Okay, about that tank. Why did you not use an air powered cutoff wheel? (truce) Is the curve too tight? I keep my worn down ones for the times when I need a tighter curve. I usually use about 60 psi on sheet metal, then just keep the speed down with the throttle lever to prevent warpage. What are you going to dip it in to ensure no gas is there? Won't it dry with all the new airflow from the big holes? Or was it dry already (since it didn't blow up from the cutting sparks)? Thanks.

Agreed, truce. :)

I didn't use a pneumatic because I can't seem to figure out how to get the compressor and all the other stuff into my apartment! ;) haha

I use my little hand rotary for damn near anything I can. It's just a little bit of an attachment I have to this specific tool I guess. One could use a pneumatic of course, just as you said, to be sure to keep it low or you can cause some serious problems.

Part of the point of this project (well, the first make of it) is the try to stay on a low budget to show people that you CAN build a very decent personalized bike without spending a small fortune, and that you can do it at home without a problem.

I don't know the exact name of the solvent that is used. We've used it to get rid of gasoline from things before though. I'll try to track it down. Yeah, with the holes it probably is safe to weld, but better safe than sorry. Metal absorbs things, and it can effect the weld of course, so the cleaner the better.

Knee Dents in the stock tank... do it up. 24 Dec 2005 11:08 #14411

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
twowheeledterror wrote:
[quote
Part of the point of this project (well, the first make of it) is the try to stay on a low budget to show people that you CAN build a very decent personalized bike without spending a small fortune, and that you can do it at home without a problem.

[/quote]

Well done.

Knee Dents in the stock tank... do it up. 24 Dec 2005 12:16 #14417

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
GargantuChet wrote:

Small cuts without tracking the blade. :)

Knee Dents in the stock tank... do it up. 24 Dec 2005 12:22 #14418

• mykznme
  • User
i am really surprised this thread has made it to 5 pages.
i think the only reason the mods havnt shut it down is because TWT is on to something here and he is not required to help others do some of the stuff they want to do, he is simply doing it out of kindness so he cant be all that bad:P im currently in the process of doing a write up on aluminum polishing and hope to god i dont get this much flak. kinda makes ya not want to bother. constructive critisism and questions should be tolorated but personal attacks should not.

keep up the good work TWT. were waiting on the next step.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

Knee Dents in the stock tank... do it up. 24 Dec 2005 12:23 #14419

• GargantuChet
  • User
twowheeledterror wrote:

GargantuChet wrote:

Must be something to do with that "patience" thing I've heard so much about. I figure it's quicker to let the blade steer, but then I don't end up with smooth cuts like that! :laugh:

Knee Dents in the stock tank... do it up. 24 Dec 2005 15:11 #14456

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
GargantuChet wrote:

twowheeledterror wrote:

GargantuChet wrote:

Must be something to do with that "patience" thing I've heard so much about. I figure it's quicker to let the blade steer, but then I don't end up with smooth cuts like that! :laugh:

Do you let the car steer too? ;) hahah

Nah, it's really about patience on something like this... I'd say you move maybe a mm every 5 seconds or so. Seriously. This is a very slow, controlled cut.

I don't see this type of post as contributing. 24 Dec 2005 17:55 #14491

• KZReeder
  • User
Hey,
Been away for a while and laughed out loud reading this thread. Keep up the good work TWT and post lots of pics. I'm big into the cafe' thing and plan on doing a cafe' theme with my KZ1000st... once I get it running well... I'm really interested in the outcome of your cut-out project... been messing about with some sketches myself.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I don't see this type of post as contributing. 24 Dec 2005 17:59 #14492

• User
  • Thank you received: 3
Moderator! Anybody see a moderator anywhere? If anybody see's one, tell him he's wanted on this thread ASAP.

See my U2U.
KZCSI

Post edited by: kzcsi, at: 2005/12/24 21:06

I like the clean look of the cafe' bikes... 24 Dec 2005 18:07 #14494

• KZReeder
  • User
I like the clean look of the cafe' bikes... this is a Honda but it's a great example of how a Japanese bike can be cleaned up and rendered in classic cafe lines... I like how he hid the electrics in a fake oil tank and note the cut-outs in the fuel tank.

Post edited by: kzreeder, at: 2005/12/24 21:10
Subject edited. KZCSI

Post edited by: kzcsi, at: 2005/12/24 21:16
Attachments: