Frames?

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
11 Dec 2006 22:20 #99132 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Frames?
Maverick wrote:

Gonna have to strip that red paint!!!

Red frames are cool, but that looks more like orange...

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2006 08:19 #99175 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Frames?
I'm not sure about other years, but the '83-'84 GPz1100s have most of the bracing and gussetting already done at the factory that is being discussed here. They do show up on ebay now and then and they are a monoshock frame.

• wireman
  • Visitor
12 Dec 2006 09:40 #99180 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Frames?
Maverick wrote:

Gonna have to strip that red paint!!!

Attachments:

More
12 Dec 2006 13:02 #99199 by WTF!
Replied by WTF! on topic Frames?
Well it ain't winter down here but I am into a frame bracing job as well on my 74 frame. I know have to upgrade to 11mm engine bolts too... THANKS guys...

What tubing are you using? I have some 32mm/2mm on the way and now (upon seeing the disaster repairs to the gusset by the last welder) am going to redo the sheeting in the head. I guess 2-3mm would be suffice.

This is a great thread.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
12 Dec 2006 15:27 #99215 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Frames?
What is an M1?is that an ELR?Is that stock.Could we see the gussets?
Maverick wrote:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
12 Dec 2006 17:33 #99229 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Frames?
mark1122 wrote:

What is an M1?is that an ELR?

1981 KZ1000 M1 (CSR)

Just like the sig says, it's a CSR. Kawasaki called the CSR a "Power Cruiser", sort of a cheaper LTD with wire spoke wheels and regular gauges instaed of a digital dash.

KD9JUR

More
12 Dec 2006 21:23 #99262 by Maverick
Replied by Maverick on topic Frames?
Sorry 'bout the misinformation. The frame arrived yesterday and I didn't update my sig. The M1 is the daily driver, and the GPZ is the project bike. The M1 frame is very similar to the GPZ frame with a few exceptions.

The GPZ frame that I just bought is identical to the Eddie Lawson Replica frame as far as I can tell. No aftermarket gussets on her just yet, but it appears that the frame has some extra members when comparing to the older pre-1981 KZ900/1000 and Z1 frames. Particularly the two b/t the two down tubes, and the gusseting at the head tube, and bracing down the top tubes.

I just looked at the frame schematic and realized that the upper cross-member on my frame is not stock. It's the one just above the upper front motor mount.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I'll simply put a new cross member above the rear motor mount, and gusset the rear triangle. That ought to be enough to serve my purposes. Stiffen up the motor attachment near the countershaft, and around the rear swingarm and shock mounts. Sorta like this:

Looking at the frame schematic for the later GPZ (post-84), they appear to have the same frame stiffening components as my frame. Except they have a bunch of additional metal around the monoshock mount.

Does anybody out there have pics of the KZ1000S frame? As I understand it, the S frame is the one that Eddie actually raced on. Of course, the team could have made mods to it after receiving it from the factory.

Cheers,

Maverick

1981 KZ1000M1
Attachments:

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
13 Dec 2006 06:36 #99288 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Frames?
That neck area looks realy strong compared to the older KZ'z. Maybee thats what we should be doing to ours?
Wireman how do you like that neck? The hole front looks well reinforced. It would be nice if we could come up with something that would be fairly simple for guys to have done to help these old bikes handle more like the new ones, specialy when you add horespower and suspenssion. Anyone got any good pics of this?

Post edited by: mark1122, at: 2006/12/13 09:44

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
24 Jan 2007 17:01 #107970 by big mike
Replied by big mike on topic Frames?
that frame in the pic here (lastpic) is a j modle what i call a j modle they have the 2 front motor mounts and one rear motor mount the kz motores will not fit in them ? did i just go way off topic ???
:blink: