Frames?

More
08 Dec 2006 15:41 #98306 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic Frames?
guitargeek: For ideas, go to the 'Stage III' link in my signature and checkout the Kosman Frame Kit schematic which shows where the various parts of this kit are to be welded.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
09 Dec 2006 07:40 #98419 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Frames?
Bob.
I see where the gussets go .I just couldn't help but wonder if I shouln't add a second cross brace to form an x. What do you guys think. Is this overkill?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
09 Dec 2006 08:26 #98434 by kyradawg
Replied by kyradawg on topic Frames?
That second brace cant be a bad idea. I would also remove the factory sheet metal head tube brace and replace it with something more substantial. The down tubes in the header area is another place I would think about bracing.

Pecae&Love:ohmy: , Darren

Post edited by: kyradawg, at: 2006/12/09 11:27

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
09 Dec 2006 08:53 #98443 by mark1122
Kyra
Just incase you didnt know Kawasaki upgraded the frames in 76 with heaver tubing.So if your not partial to the 75 you may concider a later model.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
09 Dec 2006 09:10 #98449 by kyradawg
Replied by kyradawg on topic Frames?
Thanks Mark! I was not aware of that. I am torn as I am trying to make as light of a bike as possible. Im thinking after all the bracing is completed the heavier tubing would be just that heavier tubing. Something to think about though!;)

Peace&love:ohmy: , Darren

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
09 Dec 2006 11:46 #98489 by mark1122
I dont think you can go wrong with the bracing .The extra wieght will be worth it in the end.when you compare the old Z's to the new, the new ridgid frames are ausome.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
09 Dec 2006 12:06 #98500 by BohicaBob
Another 'frame bracing' thing I do is to use aftermarket, heavy duty engine mounts/bolts like those found in the Kosman Z1/KZ Motor Mound Kit. You will be forced to drill out the frame and engine mounting holes because such an aftermarket kit uses larger and stronger mounts and bolts.

The kit will allow the strong engine (but heavy) crankcase to act as a frame member of sorts, improving frame rigidity in the process.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 12:25 #98510 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Frames?
mark1122 wrote:

Kyra
Just incase you didnt know Kawasaki upgraded the frames in 76 with heaver tubing.So if your not partial to the 75 you may concider a later model.

they were stiffer but could still use a brace kit;)

More
09 Dec 2006 13:25 #98535 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Frames?
It's interesting that the GPz750 Turbo already has most of the bracing shown in the Klosman diagram, along with a larger backbone (upper frame tube). And it's noticeably heavier than the non turbo GPz750.

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 13:35 #98537 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Frames?
steell wrote:

It's interesting that the GPz750 Turbo already has most of the bracing shown in the Klosman diagram, along with a larger backbone (upper frame tube). And it's noticeably heavier than the non turbo GPz750.

the added strengh and ability to actually put the power to the ground more than makes up for the few extra pounds .if you have to fight the chassis to get it to work for you you will never reach the full potential of what the bike and motor can do.:evil: all the fancy upside down forks and single shock swingarms in world will do you any good if youre frame cannot handle the loads put upon it ;)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
09 Dec 2006 14:02 #98547 by mark1122
Thats for shure.B)

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
09 Dec 2006 16:44 #98574 by BohicaBob
wireman: Exactly. Why put all the effort and money into the motor and not be able to effectively utilize the motorcycle in a safe and fun way? Been there done that myself, unfortunately. That's one of the reasons I'm here telling folks to do 'the package' if at all possible. Notice in my signature: Stage I, Stage II, and Stage III Z1/KZs ...

The Stage I has a slightly warmed over motor: 987 cc Yosh piston kit, stock cams, Mikuni 29s, GEREX CDI, Kerker 4-1 pipe, top three horizontal frame tubes braced, aftermarket engine mounts/bolts, braced stock swingarm, etc. This is my 'cruiser' KZ so to speak.

Stage II's frame is braced considerably more, with 17" radial tires, GS1100 swingarm, hotter cams, Yosh 987 cc pistons, GEREX CDI, rear disc brake, Works Performance shocks, etc. Upgrades coming include 998 Yosh piston kit, ported head with 37.5/31 mm SS valves, etc.

Stage III will have an even more braced frame to go with an even hotter motor, ZRX1100/1200 forks/wheels/brakes, 1075 cc or 1197 cc piston kit, Web 110 cams, ported head with 37.5/31 SS valves, Mikuni RS 34 mm carbs, etc.