Frames?

More
03 Dec 2006 13:47 #97068 by kyradawg
Replied by kyradawg on topic Frames?
Wire, I have allready purchased the 1105 kit. Its my belief that the engine will pinch a head gasket before it would balloon a sleeve. Maybe I could gas port the slugs to compinsate for any potential bore distortions. Im kinda curious where the rumor about the 1105 kits originates? If balooning really is a problem how would it be proven? I have a source for custom sleeves if we can prove it's not hear-say about the bore distortion.

Peace&Love:side: , Darren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Dec 2006 14:06 #97074 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Frames?
the couple of 1105s ive been around locally were notorious(spell check:P )overheaters.compared to the 1075s there really isnt much of a sleeve left,it takes the taper that is machined into the bottem of a stock sleeve out.seems to be the same issue with a 1260 kit compared to an 1197 and a 1428 compared to a 1385 each of the 2 pairs uses the same sleeve but the smaller of the 2 tends to leave a rounder bore.ive talked to the guy who does my machine work and the guys at APE about this issue and that seems to be the consensus(spell check ,again!:P )that going one bore size under the maximum for a given sleeve works better.if you o'ring your sleeves and run a good headgasket and studs and nuts i dont think youll have too many gasket problems as long as you dont run 30lbs of boost like lorcan does!:evil: :P

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Dec 2006 14:20 #97078 by wireman
kyradawg wrote:

Mike, good eye brother! Both sides of the stamped steel bracing behind the neck of my Z1 are cracked. In addition to the kosman kit I want to duplicate this as well as get rid of the sheet metal bracing and replace them with some tubelar gussets.

Peace&Love:blink: , Darren<br><br>Post edited by: kyradawg, at: 2006/12/03 12:43

thats a 79-80 kz frame in that picture not a z1 but the bracing should be about same.the big sheetmetal gusset under steering head is actually a pretty good idea it just needs some beefing up it basically makes the steering head one big triangle that would be really hard to match strengthwise with tubing alone.the backbone can definately benefit from being tied together.me amd solomrus are working on getting a to motor mount kit from paper to actual reality which will really help tie things together(more to follow :evil: )the swingarm pivot area is another spot that needs help once you put a good stiff swingarm on back of one of these bikes it puts more stress on the swingarm pivot area shock mount area is another bad area that needs help.while you are at it id personally reccomend grinding down every weld on any z1 frame or kz frame made in japan and rewelding them all,they really suck from the factory a trained monkey could weld better(sorry gris,kawasaki bob!:whistle: :P )than that bird crap especially on the z1 frames!the few pounds of weight you add are nothing compared to the improvement in handling you get by stiffening one of these bikes up!;)

More
03 Dec 2006 14:53 #97086 by kyradawg
The arrow indicates where there is a crack on booth pieces of sheet on my frame. There's gotta be something better that sheet for this area!

Peace&Love:laugh: , Darren
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Dec 2006 15:06 #97091 by wireman
thats common on z1s,especially if there was a wheelie riding nutjob like me behind the bars!:P that is the same basic design as the 76-80 kzs but uses a thinner gauge of steel .we are doubling up the inside of the gusset in the problem area on mine plus tying the backbones together and bracing the downtubes in front of engine cases to take the pressure off the steering head area;)

More
03 Dec 2006 15:07 #97092 by kyradawg
I think hard wheelie landings did my stampings in:ohmy:

Here is a early Kawasaki gpx750 mono shock frame.

Peace&Love:lol: , Darren
Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2006 15:09 #97095 by kyradawg
Here is how the factory racers braced them. Good info for those doing mono shock convertions.

Peace&Love:blink: , Darren
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Dec 2006 15:10 #97096 by wireman
kyradawg wrote:

I think hard wheelie landings did my stampings in:ohmy:

Here is a early Kawasaki gpx750 mono shock frame.

Peace&Love:lol: , Darren

that looks pretty stiff,that brace down low between downtubes helps tie things together;)

More
03 Dec 2006 15:10 #97097 by kyradawg
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Dec 2006 15:16 #97102 by wireman
wow!:blink: thats some serious bracing!B)

More
03 Dec 2006 15:25 #97106 by big mike
Replied by big mike on topic Frames?
well it looks like to me there is 1 tryangle in the hole frame befor they started lol where do you guys find these pics lol ;)

More
03 Dec 2006 15:42 #97112 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Frames?
An upper engine mount will stiffen up the frame. Has anyone come across a diagram of this since it was lasted discussed? If I remember correctly, wireman mentioned there was an illustraion in an early Clymers manual.