Excessive shaking of the headlight and instrument panel after tired change.

More
28 Feb 2019 13:35 #799408 by davido
(It would be very unlikely/strange for them to mess with the clocks and headlight when changing the tyre. No reason to be at that end of the forks.)
Another thing to check,are the tyre(s) on the right way around?

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2019 13:57 #799409 by Irish Yobbo

davido wrote: (It would be very unlikely/strange for them to mess with the clocks and headlight when changing the tyre. No reason to be at that end of the forks.)

My thoughts exactly. There's no reason for them to do so. It's almost certainly something to do with the tyres that they *did* touch causing enough vibration.

Having said this, under each of the meters is a set of rubber dampers, and the headlight mounts are rubber too. If the gauges are excessively shaking I'd be inclined to check those dampers. I suspect that the dampers are probably worn out, the gauges and headlights shouldn't rattle excessively from any sort of vibration.

It's possibly the case that the rubber dampers are worn, but it's only become apparent with a badly balanced wheel.

1981 KZ750 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Feb 2019 14:11 #799411 by SWest
A lot of shops won't work on old bikes. Some even do lousy work, blame it on the bike then try to sell a new one. Plenty of crooked shops out there. I worked at two of them in the 80's. Both were shut down after I quit and bulldozed flat.
Best to do your own work if you can.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barry1

• WarrensKZ
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2019 16:37 #799419 by WarrensKZ

SWest wrote: A lot of shops won't work on old bikes. Some even do lousy work, blame it on the bike then try to sell a new one. Plenty of crooked shops out there. I worked at two of them in the 80's. Both were shut down after I quit and bulldozed flat.
Best to do your own work if you can.
Steve

I will never be good at changing tires. Perhaps other things but not tires. I dont even want to touch them.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Feb 2019 17:47 #799423 by SWest
Use to be my bread and butter when I was wrenching. That was my money off the books. One of my least favorite things to do now that I'm OLD. 60 mile round trip to Moto Joes. I knew him when he was a kid working at Kawasaki in the 80's. He, Honda and the other shops would send the 10 year and older bikes to me. He's a good guy and I'd trust him to do it right. Can't say that for the others around here. :whistle:
Steve

More
01 Mar 2019 05:58 - 01 Mar 2019 06:32 #799446 by martin_csr
By WarrensKZ: I will never be good at changing tires. Perhaps other things but not tires. I dont even want to touch them.

You could remove the wheels & bring them in to get the tires changed. That way, the only thing they can mess with is the wheels.
The biggest problem I have in changing tires is removing the old ones, especially the rear. Installing new tires isn't a problem.
I have a set of long motion pro tire irons & a few other regular ones plus 2 sets of rim protectors & RuGlyde.

Tire bead. The last time I had tires installed, I used a CL guy who was recommended by others on another forum & I brought only the wheels. After getting them home, found out that the rear bead wasn't seated properly, so I had to reseat it. I have no idea if this is a valid thought, but I'm guessing old wheels aren't as easy to do as modern wheels or they're different or something & that's why the guy goofed. If he still provided the service, I would go back to him. I think he just honestly made a boo-boo.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 06:32 by martin_csr.

More
01 Mar 2019 07:12 - 01 Mar 2019 07:13 #799454 by 650ed

martin_csr wrote: .....................The biggest problem I have in changing tires is removing the old ones, especially the rear. Installing new tires isn't a problem.

I have always changed my own tires. I once had a rear tire that I really struggled with and simply could not remove from the rim when trying to remove it the normal way. Out of desperation I used a utility knife and cut both sidewalls all the way around the wheel keeping the cut close to and parallel to the wheel. I could then easily remove the tread and sidewalls as one piece leaving only the two tire beads on the wheel. Oddly enough, the two beads then were incredibly easy to remove from the wheel. If I ever have a stubborn tire again I'll remove it the same way. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 07:13 by 650ed.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Mar 2019 07:28 #799456 by SWest
In 12 when I started to work on Bossie I went to install the NOS Chin Shin tire I had on hand 15 years. The old one was ON THERE. Took three C clamps and a lot of beating on it for it to come off. The NOS tire was harder than it should have been but I got it on. The next year I had the bike running and road legal. Made two trips to visit my daughter and noticed the tread was cracking so I bought a Shinko to put on it. Went through HELL getting this one off too. I found out later Chin Shin stopped making street tires due to law suits from them coming apart at high speeds. Way back then I ran them bald every time and that never happened. This one almost did. :ohmy: Dodged a bullet this time. :whistle:
I run them down but not like I use to in my terrible 20's. :evil:
Steve

• WarrensKZ
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2019 15:19 #799625 by WarrensKZ

SWest wrote: In 12 when I started to work on Bossie I went to install the NOS Chin Shin tire I had on hand 15 years. The old one was ON THERE. Took three C clamps and a lot of beating on it for it to come off. The NOS tire was harder than it should have been but I got it on. The next year I had the bike running and road legal. Made two trips to visit my daughter and noticed the tread was cracking so I bought a Shinko to put on it. Went through HELL getting this one off too. I found out later Chin Shin stopped making street tires due to law suits from them coming apart at high speeds. Way back then I ran them bald every time and that never happened. This one almost did. :ohmy: Dodged a bullet this time. :whistle:
I run them down but not like I use to in my terrible 20's. :evil:
Steve

Steve,

Had a look at the bike today. On the front tire (shinko 712) the red dot i nowhere near the tire valve stem. Could this tire still be properly balanced? Since you did this for years, Im hopeful you will know. Here are pics

Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Mar 2019 15:56 #799631 by SWest
Are there any balance weights on the rim? If not I'd say no.
Steve
This tire had no dot so I had no idea where the lightest point of the tire was so I had to use 6.

This one did so I only had to use one.

Attachments:

• WarrensKZ
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2019 16:01 #799632 by WarrensKZ
There are weights on it but they arent new.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Mar 2019 16:18 #799634 by SWest
I guess the only way to tell is to take the wheel off, spin it without the speedo drive and see if it stops at the same spot.
Steve