Excessive shaking of the headlight and instrument panel after tired change.

• WarrensKZ
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2019 17:26 - 27 Feb 2019 17:27 #799356 by WarrensKZ
My son and I changed the tires on his bike over the weekend. Though Im a retired engineer, I got a call from my old company to work on a project for 6 months, so Im back to work.

I decided to get the tires changed on my KZ650 by a local shop. When I got back from work today, I rode the bike home and noticed the gauges and headlight shake when Im riding, something that was never present before. I told the shop about this and they said "when we changed the tire, we didnt at all touch the instrument panel of headlight. Yeah right! The bike is not like it was when I gave it to him. Now that area shakes, and its annoying.

I mentioned that I hadnt regularly rode this bike for 12 years, but maintained it while it was in the garage/barn. Its been quite some time since Ive wrapped my head around my 77.

What might have caused this "play" in the gauges and headlight now to where they bounce around at 60mph? From now on, I will never hand over my bike to have anything done. I'll do what I can myself.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 17:27 by WarrensKZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blue58
  • User
  • Old, Bald and Fast
More
27 Feb 2019 17:56 #799359 by Blue58
Do you feel it in the handle bars? Would think it's tire blance .

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
  • WarrensKZ
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2019 18:07 #799361 by WarrensKZ

Blue58 wrote: Do you feel it in the handle bars? Would think it's tire blance .

It was windy today so no way to tell. I will test again. Im so mad at myself for not doing it myself.

More
27 Feb 2019 18:35 #799364 by 650ed
Check to make sure the tire is concentric to the rim. Most tires will have one or more thin rings molded into them near the rim so this is easy to check (see image below). If it is not concentric trying to balance it is not the solution. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• WarrensKZ
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2019 18:56 - 27 Feb 2019 19:00 #799366 by WarrensKZ

650ed wrote: Check to make sure the tire is concentric to the rim. Most tires will have one or more thin rings molded into them near the rim so this is easy to check (see image below). If it is not concentric trying to balance it is not the solution. Ed

From your description the only thing I gathered is to make sure that raised little lip youre pointing to with the arrow, goes all the way round the tire, which is probably not at all what you mean. There's just an arrow pointing to a rubber lip.

I googled and found this explanation:

"Use the tiny ring that’s molded into the tire near the bead, and check its distance from the edge of the bead flange. Check it in at least four locations, 90 degrees apart, and do this on both sides of the tire. The molded ring must be the same distance from the flange in all locations. If you can see a difference, the tire is not concentrically mounted."
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 19:00 by WarrensKZ.

More
27 Feb 2019 19:49 #799371 by 650ed
Yes. Make sure the raised bead on the tire is the same distance away from thee wheel all the way around. If a section of is is closer than the rest of it the tire is not seated properly. Ed

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Feb 2019 20:25 #799375 by SWest
Sometimes the vibration in the front is generated from the back tire. I'd check both tires.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
27 Feb 2019 20:38 #799381 by 650ed

SWest wrote: Sometimes the vibration in the front is generated from the back tire. I'd check both tires.
Steve

Exactly! Check both tires. Ed

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
28 Feb 2019 01:19 #799383 by kevski
As well as the above replies, the tyre should also be marked up for valve alignment.

• WarrensKZ
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2019 12:01 #799404 by WarrensKZ

kevski wrote: As well as the above replies, the tyre should also be marked up for valve alignment.

valve alignment?

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
28 Feb 2019 12:25 - 28 Feb 2019 12:34 #799406 by Scirocco
This is the so called matching point, a red or yellow dot on the side wall of the tire.
The matching point is = yellow is the lightest/ red is the highest wieght unbalance on the tire.
Red should be a across from position for the air valve.
Yellow should be at the air valve position.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2019 12:34 by Scirocco.