frame bracing

More
16 Dec 2012 13:11 #563204 by toad
frame bracing was created by toad
would like to know if frame bracing is actually necessary, not to take away from anyone's opinions but honestly I don't see the reason.ex. frame brace in front of engine behind front tire when engine is secured to motor mounts is the engine not strengthening this section?I would think the engineers back in the day new what they were doing.My 74 z1 does 125 m/h in the 1/4 mile straight as an arrow but yes I change steering,wheel bearings proper fork rebuilding etc. and never have the so called speed wobble some talk about.then again I run newer style front and rear ends.I have another z1 frame I am rebuilding now and really just curious for the real need to brace the frame.. just saying.
opinions please.

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2012 13:24 - 16 Dec 2012 13:25 #563208 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic frame bracing
the modern swing arm helps a ton!

it doesn't sound like you are much of a corner stuffer,canyon carver type.(no offense meant)

where the flex in your frame shows up will be when leaning into corners hard enough to drag stuff.

especially as right and left transitions then you get "the wiggle".

the "speed wobble" is probably more a product of the bikes that did not have the headstock straight from the factory.

i read that pops always cut the headstocks off his z1's and re-welded them so he knew that they were square.

so the bracing is really for more of a road racing style application.

for drag racing,if it launches hard and goes straight i wouldn't add any extra weight in the form of bracing unless it starts not tracking straight.

thats my .02,ymmv.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 16 Dec 2012 13:25 by 531blackbanshee.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
16 Dec 2012 13:32 #563211 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic frame bracing
I agree with Leon's estimation. If you are interested in bracing for road race applications then google Tony Foale. His website has lots of information and he has written a couple of books on the subject of motorcycle handling.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
16 Dec 2012 14:08 #563218 by toad
Replied by toad on topic frame bracing
no offense taken..
corner stuffer? I stuffed a corner this summer so hard I am still picking asphalt out of my ass lol.this is why I am rebuilding,bike got trashed. You can only lean these babies over so far before "oops" there goes my pipe. gsxr-forks 17" rims= dents
thanks

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear

More
16 Dec 2012 14:13 #563220 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic frame bracing
sorry to hear that.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Dec 2012 14:15 #563221 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic frame bracing
Take look at a stock kz frame next to a stock gpz1100 frame some time.
Youre right,I think those engineers at Kawasaki did learn something! :laugh:
So are you running a z1 frame or a 78 kz1000 frame,theres a world of difference in the quality of the 2 in stock form. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
16 Dec 2012 14:58 #563226 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic frame bracing
I tore down my dad's GS1000, and the cop bike my brother gave me.

The 1987 KZ1000P frame is probably twice the weight of the 1979 GS1000 frame! Thicker-wall tubing, and lots more of it.

One reason modern sport bikes have aluminum perimeter frames is that aluminum doesn't flex like steel does. Think of it like this: How many aluminum springs have you ever seen? How many steel springs? It's a good thing aluminum weighs so much less, because it's not as strong as steel, much more of it has to be used to build a strong frame.

Like Leon said, the modern bits will help the handling a great deal, but why switch to those bits if you're just going to go in a short, straight line? Harleys are good that straight line thing...

And you probably know already, but I'll go ahead and spell it out: "Stuffing" a corner means passing someone on the inside, following a tighter line. They'd like to follow a certain line, but they learn at the last moment that the spot they'd like to occupy has been stuffed full of another rider.

Mladin stuffs Hayden

Rossi stuffs Gibernau

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
16 Dec 2012 15:18 #563229 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic frame bracing
I am going to have my frame raked and push it to a 1075 with the right adjustments in head and carbs I will do some extra bracing even though most of my torque will see short straight lines
and only occasionally.

probably not needed but as someone once said these old things were welded together with plumbers pipe

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
16 Dec 2012 15:20 #563230 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic frame bracing
i did extensive bracing in my two race bikes, but agree that i would consider it only for road racing. or... if it was for a known flexi flyer like the two stroke kawi triples .

guitar

"One reason modern sport bikes have aluminum perimeter frames is that aluminum doesn't flex like steel does. Think of it like this: How many aluminum springs have you ever seen? How many steel springs? It's a good thing aluminum weighs so much less, because it's not as strong as steel, much more of it has to be used to build a strong frame."

lets leave aside the metalurgy facts... if that was true, Duacti wouldnt have dominated WSBK for the last twenty five years with their flexi steel frames like they did... and even this year KTM took the moto 3 title with a steel frame...

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Dec 2012 15:22 #563231 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic frame bracing

guitargeek wrote: I tore down my dad's GS1000, and the cop bike my brother gave me.

The 1987 KZ1000P frame is probably twice the weight of the 1979 GS1000 frame! Thicker-wall tubing, and lots more of it.

One reason modern sport bikes have aluminum perimeter frames is that aluminum doesn't flex like steel does. Think of it like this: How many aluminum springs have you ever seen? How many steel springs? It's a good thing aluminum weighs so much less, because it's not as strong as steel, much more of it has to be used to build a strong frame.

Like Leon said, the modern bits will help the handling a great deal, but why switch to those bits if you're just going to go in a short, straight line? Harleys are good that straight line thing...

And you probably know already, but I'll go ahead and spell it out: "Stuffing" a corner means passing someone on the inside, following a tighter line. They'd like to follow a certain line, but they learn at the last moment that the spot they'd like to occupy has been stuffed full of another rider.

Mladin stuffs Hayden

Rossi stuffs Gibernau

Ill agree with 99% of what you just said its just the way its stated.
A piece of aluminum in the same diameter/wall thickness/shape will bend just as much if not more than a similar piece of mild steel.
The aluminum frames/swingarms get their strength from being made from a boxed or rectangular piece of material versus being just round tubing.
That's what makes the frame braces I make really strong/light is that they are straight/flat in 2 differant planes to keep them from twisting from front-back and also side-side B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
16 Dec 2012 15:36 - 16 Dec 2012 15:47 #563233 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic frame bracing

turboguzzi wrote: lets leave aside the metalurgy facts... if that was true, Duacti wouldnt have dominated WSBK for the last twenty five years with their flexi steel frames like they did... and even this year KTM took the moto 3 title with a steel frame...

Compare a modern Ducati trellis frame with an early KZ backbone frame. The trellis is more or less the idea of gusseting a frame, carried to it's logical conclusion. I can't say for sure, but I'd bet you a beer that the Ducati frame is made of sterner stuff, a more advanced alloy...

A lot of the theory of moto metallurgy and frame geometry I picked up from Tony Foale, Kevin Cameron, and my friend Jackie, who was a builder/racer. She swore by 4130 chromo!

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"
Last edit: 16 Dec 2012 15:47 by guitargeek.

More
16 Dec 2012 15:55 #563236 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic frame bracing

guitargeek wrote:

turboguzzi wrote: lets leave aside the metalurgy facts... if that was true, Duacti wouldnt have dominated WSBK for the last twenty five years with their flexi steel frames like they did... and even this year KTM took the moto 3 title with a steel frame...

Compare a modern Ducati trellis frame with an early KZ backbone frame. The trellis is more or less the idea of gusseting a frame, carried to it's logical conclusion. I can't say for sure, but I'd bet you a beer that the Ducati frame is made of sterner stuff...

well, i was just reacting to your statement "aluminum doesn't flex like steel does" as a reason as why sport bikes use perimeters....

and NO, a trellis frame is NOT "gusseting a frame, carried to it's logical conclusion"

a trellis frame is a different concept all together of using the tubes in simple push-pull load, without bending. a gusseted cradle frame is a frame that naturally bends and that you are helping by reinforcements.

like wireman said just above, maybe its just the way you put it.

And BTW, cro-mo steel has the same young modulus as the mild steel used in our old K, it's just the ultimate strength that's different.