frame bracing

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Dec 2012 16:14 - 16 Dec 2012 16:17 #563239 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic frame bracing
Heres an old picture of one of my current projects with an oversized backbone and different style bracing than the normal tube bracing.
The flat angled piece going up down keeps things from moving that way while the offset bent into the edge strengthens it side-side keeping the backbone tubes from moving either way.

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Dec 2012 16:17 by wireman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
16 Dec 2012 16:16 #563240 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic frame bracing
Okay, look, I'm not here to argue all day, I've got to get out to the shop.

Take a piece of steel and a piece of aluminum, let's say business cards made of each, and bend them. If the steel is tempered (like a spring), it'll go back to it's original shape, if it's not, it'll stay bent. The aluminum, though, will typically crack in the middle, leaving you two halves.

WAY oversimplified, but that was basically what I was trying to say.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
16 Dec 2012 17:21 #563245 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic frame bracing
Bracing a frame gives you peace of mind for that ONE TIME you push your scoot past the normal limits you operate in.
For me the rules are
1 More Power equals brace the frame
2 Upgraded tires and suspension equals brace the frame
3 Added weight due to advanced muffin top or adding wieght to bike equals brace the frame
4Pushing the bike alot harder than you used to equals brace the frame

Sorry, But as a retired fire chief I believe in having a safety margin built into as many parts of life as I can . What can it hurt ???????

Biggest reason for me many moons ago was taking the gas tank off my bike and being able to deflect the 3 backbone tubes behind the steering neck with ONE hand. Didnot make me feel warm and fuzzy to race a bike in a straight line or dive into corners with a stock frame that clearly was flexable.
Just My 2 Cents
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
16 Dec 2012 18:01 #563250 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic frame bracing
Street fighter LTD hit it on the head. Probably isn't necessary as I've seen stock frame KZ running at the dragstrip going in the 7's and over 150 mph without any visible bracing but I would do it if for no other reason then to build it stronger. I like to over-build things for that safety factor also. It doesn't hurt. A couple extra pounds on these bikes is no big deal. Sorta like back-cutting a trans or welding a crank...not necessary for most purposes but good insurance if you can.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

• wireman
  • User
More
16 Dec 2012 18:12 #563252 by wireman

Attachment dscn4699.jpg not found

Attachment dscn4700.jpg not found

Heres an early gpz1100 frame,kawasaki picked up on all bracing the racers had to do on kz bikes they were roadtacing B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
16 Dec 2012 18:38 #563255 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic frame bracing
I agree with StreetFighter KZ's reasons for bracing (advanced muffin-top? :woohoo: ). This frame was designed in very early 1970s and as far as I can tell it never changed till the KZ 1000 came out in 77 and even then the mod was slightly heavier tubing. As Wireman pointed out the GPZs learned from roadracers needs.

One other thing I seem to remember reading was that when the early Z1s were pushed into corners they were OKish but Lord help you if you backed off the throttle even a hair because you then had quite a pucker moment where the frame would flex in a very alarming way.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, Street Fighter LTD

• wireman
  • User
More
16 Dec 2012 18:54 #563261 by wireman

Attachment pro-bull-riding-crash.jpg not found

Attachment professional-bull-riders-world-finals.jpg not found

Reminds me of my early days learning to ride wheelies on an ill handling z1 as a kid! :woohoo:

Attachments:

More
16 Dec 2012 19:38 #563267 by mick z1a
Replied by mick z1a on topic frame bracing
i had a z900a4 in the 80's that i could throw around all day long with no problem, that had a braces swing arm and mag wheels. then in 2007 i bought a z1a and it used weave about under stress, it preferred the white lines than any direction i was trying for, that bike was all stock. i just took it that the frame was doing that flexy thing,be interesting to find out its all made up and it really was just poor tyres, loose spokes and spongy shocks.

• wireman
  • User
More
16 Dec 2012 20:17 - 16 Dec 2012 20:17 #563276 by wireman

Attachment z1-0668a15e9d2f4eac12f2d0e9ca39dbb9.jpg not found

Even with a better swingarm/rebuilt newer rebuilt front end and better brakes z1s will twist like pretzel with serious power put to them! :laugh:

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Dec 2012 20:17 by wireman.

More
16 Dec 2012 20:22 #563277 by toad
Replied by toad on topic frame bracing
My new build will be off a 74 z1, maybe go big block , but was trying to stray from welding on that frame in hopes one day it will be put back to original condition, 7s 150 mph no frame bracing, nice.

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear

• wireman
  • User
More
16 Dec 2012 20:35 - 16 Dec 2012 20:35 #563280 by wireman
If I was going to try and put a stock z1 frame into the 7s the 1st thing Id do is get really drunk! :woohoo:
If I still wanted to do it after sobering up Id atleast go over every inch and every weld on that frame because they were really scary to say the least from the factory,if I wanted to build a 7 sec turbo /nitrous/bigblock street bike Id probably just go totally off the deep end and do something like this!

Attachment dscn4695_2012-12-16.jpg not found

Attachment dscn4693.jpg not found

Attachment dscn4697.jpg not found

:woohoo:

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Dec 2012 20:35 by wireman.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
16 Dec 2012 20:37 #563281 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic frame bracing
i didnt wanna chop and weld on my frame at first either but it needs it, and i have a 79 ltd which is supposed to have less flex but the frame leaves alot to be desired, head woble at 120 is nasty also so i suspect its not true.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..