frame bracing

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
16 Dec 2012 20:40 #563283 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic frame bracing
actually i edit that last post , im gonna send my frame to jim (wireman) and and all its problems :whistle: and hope it comes back raked 3 degrees and all stout like a pitt bull on roids :woohoo:

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Dec 2012 20:43 #563284 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic frame bracing
Did you get the care package in the mail yet?
Ive got some more stuff to send ya B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
16 Dec 2012 20:50 #563286 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic frame bracing
i did and its awesome, next batch of pics i put up will have that in it, been down and out lately and wont go near the bike but this week ill have the cases split etc. thank a ton man, was gonna call you today but my ex came over with her girl and they stayed a while. if your gonna be up a bit longer ill give ya a ring.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

• wireman
  • User
More
16 Dec 2012 20:55 - 16 Dec 2012 20:56 #563290 by wireman
Im always up,just looking for an excuse to get off my ass and work on project! :woohoo:
Damn dog keeps carrying off my cell phone ,Ill just listen for the buzzing coming from where ever hes laying at! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2012 20:56 by wireman.

More
16 Dec 2012 21:58 #563299 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic frame bracing
Frames present a catch-22. Around these parts, or last I checked, when you insure a Z1 you get one quote and a KZ gets a higher one. Z1 is under 1000cc which is the line for jumping to higher insurance rates. KZ1000 being a 1015 gets the higher rate so always tried to build off a Z1 frame. Now I just use a KZ1000 frame for the added beef in the frame and sometimes add some bracing...depends on the build. Always told KZ frame has more clearance around the chain line when using offset chain line. Decide what you are trying to do and then pick the frame for the purpose.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
17 Dec 2012 05:35 #563341 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic frame bracing

guitargeek wrote: Okay, look, I'm not here to argue all day, I've got to get out to the shop.

Take a piece of steel and a piece of aluminum, let's say business cards made of each, and bend them. If the steel is tempered (like a spring), it'll go back to it's original shape, if it's not, it'll stay bent. The aluminum, though, will typically crack in the middle, leaving you two halves.

WAY oversimplified, but that was basically what I was trying to say.

ok, you convinced me!

if its to go work on that sweet thing in your avatar, then i am happy to set you free :)

merry christmas!
The following user(s) said Thank You: guitargeek

More
17 Dec 2012 12:18 #563362 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic frame bracing
I see the steel vs. aluminum debate all the time on MX sites. Aluminum frames are easier and cheaper to build than a steel tube frame. KTM and other Euro makes still build steel frame bikes...and win championships with them.

toad wrote: My new build will be off a 74 z1, maybe go big block , but was trying to stray from welding on that frame in hopes one day it will be put back to original condition, 7s 150 mph no frame bracing, nice.

That's where I'm at with my Z1B. I can't bring myself to brace the frame, so I'm trying to get better handling with tuning and bolt-on stuff. So far I replaced the shocks with ZRX shocks, that alone seemed to help some with the 80mph tank slappers. I still get a weave in high speed sweepers (45+ mph). I plan on installing emulators in the forks along with stiffer springs and a steering stabilizer.

I'm not expecting to turn like I'm riding a ZX6R, but the bike should be alot safer and stable than it is now.

(And yes, for the 1,000th time, the steering and swingarm bearings are new, lol)

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• wireman
  • User
More
17 Dec 2012 13:04 #563366 by wireman
Have you checked frame/steering head to make sure theyre straight? B)

More
17 Dec 2012 13:18 #563369 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic frame bracing

wireman wrote: Have you checked frame/steering head to make sure theyre straight? B)

No, because I never heard of them being crooked.

To check, I guess you would need to fix the rear axle horizontal, then check the line (plumb) of the fork tubes?

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• wireman
  • User
More
17 Dec 2012 22:29 #563444 by wireman
Seems like every z1 frame Ive ever checked has been out of wack between close enough construction from the factory to guys like me who liked to wheelie them too hard and fall off the back sending them unmanned down the street when we were younger,yeah they took a beating back in the day! :sick: :woohoo:

More
17 Dec 2012 23:21 #563453 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic frame bracing
Okay, if you don't mind adding to the old Z1 chassis, then every brace you can put into it is worth the effort! My take on it is, "if you have a correct papered Z1 and it's original, don't mess with it" Get yourself a later 70's chassis and throw Z1 bodywork on it and brace the hell out of it. These things were known as "flexy fliers" for a reason. Do what you want and be safe! Frame bracing and common sence goes a long ways when it comes to getting home safe. To be honest! I'm tired of the "don't mess with it, It handles good, how can you improve on it!" If that were the case, Kawasaki would still be producing the Z1 or be bankrupt!

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, Street Fighter LTD

More
17 Dec 2012 23:32 - 17 Dec 2012 23:35 #563455 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic frame bracing
I have two kzs a 79 and an 80 and have always run them as fast as the bike wants to go. Never have I had any hint of wobble in them, ever. Maybe someone hit the front end? Maybe the head bearings are worn out? Time to replace with the upgraded roller bearings? My problems that I have noticed were with my head bearings and old shocks. Of course they don't hold a candle to the handling of the ZRX so I am just going to enjoy the Rex in the corners and ride the kz as hard as I can ride it to the best of it's limits. Now if this were my daily I definitely would upgrade as much as possible to make it handle. Wait a second, I think the new progressive shocks and box swing arm along with the progressive springs and roller bearings in front should help a little.
If you have a classic Z then I suggest for you to get an LTD frame and go from there. Thicker tubes and brace it so you can go back to original stock. Problem fixed.

lushbaugh wrote: i didnt wanna chop and weld on my frame at first either but it needs it, and i have a 79 ltd which is supposed to have less flex but the frame leaves alot to be desired, head woble at 120 is nasty also so i suspect its not true.

Just read les's post. WHAT HE SAID!! :laugh: That is exactly what I'd do. Then you can do the bearings in front and brace the frame up and whenever you decide you've had enough back to original with no issues.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 17 Dec 2012 23:35 by saxjonz.