Windshields on the KZ?

More
30 Oct 2005 01:29 #5294 by DJ
Windshields on the KZ? was created by DJ
Anyone have a windshield on thier KZ? I'd like to hear some pros and cons. I am very interested in getting a small one to keep the wind off of my chest but I am concerned about buffeting. I had a small sport fairing on my bike a while back and it looked awesome. However, the head buffeting was so bad that I had to take it off.

I have read a number of articles on the web about choosing a shield but most of them point to one problem or another. I'd like to arm myself with as much info as possible because I can't really afford to keep buying different ones to try.

My goal in this is to have something small that doesn't look to bulky that will keep some of the wind off of me and make it easier to ride at highway speeds for long distances. Currently, if I get up to ~70 mph, it really wears me out just hanging on to the bike for a couple of hours.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and pictures would be great if you have the means.

Thanks!
Daron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2005 01:56 #5295 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Here is a pic of the windshield I had. It was great. I think it actually made my bike go faster. The only thing I didn't like about it is if it was 3 inches taller it would have kept the rain and bugs off my face. But it definatley made my ride a lot easier. and it helped keep me fairly dry in rain.

Post edited by: tony, at: 2005/10/30 12:30

More
30 Oct 2005 04:22 #5311 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Both my current rides have sport fairings on them and while they do deflect some wind/rain/bugs I suspect that they are mostly for looks. A bigger windshield might meet your needs, but the appearance might not. There are some bikes on this forum that look good fully dressed.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
30 Oct 2005 05:20 #5315 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Windshields on the KZ?
My Maier Gpz-style keeps it off your chest and arms. In my current riding position, the airflow hits the top third of my helmet and goes over...there is still air infront of my chest and arms...virtually no backward pull, like before I put it on. I don't have to hang on at all, even at 70. I tested this repeatedly after putting it on. It did take some adjustment to get it that way...couldn't just slap it on and go. In one setting, there was side draft under my helmet so bad even earplugs didn't kill the moise. Little angle tweaks make a big difference, so alot of testriding is in order...always a good thing.

More
30 Oct 2005 05:24 #5317 by dannyg40
Replied by dannyg40 on topic Windshields on the KZ?
My 750 LTD had one on it when I bought the bike. Actually I liked it cause it does make riding a lot less tireing traveling at speed. I took it off cause it made the bike look really old. I have since lowered the handlebars and I dont think it would fit mounting to the new ones. Now that it's getting cool out, I kinda wish I had it on.

My opinion...... If you do a lot of highway riding,or cool weather riding, and your not to worried about how it looks, then definitly get one. They do work great.

BTW, Mine looked like Tony's on the picture above. I acctually was more comfortable riding at higher speeds with it on since I didnt feel the wind, the bike was stable also. I didnt notice any buffeting.

Post edited by: dannyg40, at: 2005/10/30 08:26

More
30 Oct 2005 06:02 #5318 by oldcoldankles
Replied by oldcoldankles on topic Windshields on the KZ?
My KZ550 came with a large PlexiFairing on it. I like it for highway riding in cooler weather and have had it up to maximum speed without any sign of buffeting. I liked it so much I bought another one from Galaxian one of the members here for my next KZ.:)

Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

More
30 Oct 2005 07:01 #5323 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Windshields on the KZ?
I've had one for years, but had it off over the Winter, so I started the season with it off as I liked the look. On my first long ride, about 2 hours, my neck and shoulders got so sore I could barely shoulder check. The fairing has been on ever since. I've had no problems with buffetting.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
30 Oct 2005 07:06 #5325 by FireBurst
Replied by FireBurst on topic Windshields on the KZ?
I recently made this windshield. Now that it is cold out it is nice to have but I don't like the way it alters the handling. I am starting to get used to it. It will be coming off as soon as it warms up.

Post edited by: Fireburst, at: 2005/10/30 10:15
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2005 07:22 #5329 by godsjester71
Replied by godsjester71 on topic Windshields on the KZ?
My KZ750G1 w/ fairing:
springvinmoto.com/gallery/view_album.php...1980-KZ750G-LTD-Twin

Functionality was great for this little of a guy. :side:

More
30 Oct 2005 11:07 #5370 by DJ
Replied by DJ on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Hey Tony, what kind of shield is that. I'd like to have something that small. No problem with head buffeting with that one?

Tony wrote:

Here is a pic of the windshield I had. It was great. I think it actually made my bike go faster. The only thing I didn't like about it is if it was 3 inches taller it would have kept the rain and bugs off my face. But it definatley made my ride a lot easier. and it helped keep me fairly dry in rain.

<br><br>Post edited by: tony, at: 2005/10/30 12:30

More
30 Oct 2005 11:12 #5371 by DJ
Replied by DJ on topic Windshields on the KZ?
ronboskz650sr wrote:

My Maier Gpz-style keeps it off your chest and arms. In my current riding position, the airflow hits the top third of my helmet and goes over...there is still air infront of my chest and arms...virtually no backward pull, like before I put it on. I don't have to hang on at all, even at 70. I tested this repeatedly after putting it on. It did take some adjustment to get it that way...couldn't just slap it on and go. In one setting, there was side draft under my helmet so bad even earplugs didn't kill the moise. Little angle tweaks make a big difference, so alot of testriding is in order...always a good thing.

Hi Ron I think we had the same one. This is the one that I had on the bike. It didn't seem like there was much room for tweaking. I just thought the problem was my height and the location of my face. Did like the way it looked though. Do you wear a full face helmet? That may have been another problem. I only have a 1/2 helmet and a 3/4 helmet.

By the way, do you happen to know the height of that fairing above the headlight? I no longer have it so I can't measure.

Thanks

Post edited by: DJ, at: 2005/10/30 14:12

Post edited by: DJ, at: 2005/10/30 14:14

More
30 Oct 2005 11:18 #5372 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Windshields on the KZ?
DJ wrote:

Hey Tony, what kind of shield is that. I'd like to have something that small. No problem with head buffeting with that one?

I 'm not sure what kind it was.Unfortunately that windscreen is no longer with me. It met its untimely demise earlier on this year. they seem to be fairly common though. I had that windscreen on my 550, my 750 and my 1000 and there was no buffeting etc.