Windshields on the KZ?

More
30 Oct 2005 11:28 #5374 by DJ
Replied by DJ on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Thanks for all of the responses. There are a lot of nice bikes out there. It is interesting and encouraging that not many of you have a problem with buffeting. To read the general internet forums about this topic, you would think that a windshield is the worst thing you can add to a bike. I think there has to be a nice balance between form and function.

Thanks,
Daron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2005 12:15 #5386 by Bud1
Replied by Bud1 on topic Windshields on the KZ?
DJ wrote

To read the general internet forums about this topic, you would think that a windshield is the worst thing you can add to a bike.

I believe with windwhields as with almost anything, the people who just throw stuff on and don't take the time to properly adjust, test ride, adjust, test ride, etc. are the ones who cry the loudest that windshields are the worst thing you can add to a bike!

I've had many friends and relatives who have added windshields. A few of them have been lucky and installed it and it needed no adjustment. My uncle was one who had this luck. My cousin bought the exact same windshield as my uncle, both rode the same bike KZ1000's forget the year, and he spent a couple weeks adjusting until he got it comfortable. Of course my cousin is a good 3 to 4 inches taller than my uncle too! They both kept the windshields for years, Uncle still has bike and windshield, Cousin ground his into little bitty pieces on asphalt and stood up and walked away no injuries (he seems to do that alot somehow:huh: )

Anyway, take the time to adjust and test ride, and a windwhield will be a benefit. If your lucky you'll even get one that adds to the look of your bike. Personally I've only seen a few windshields that I liked the look of. However if I rode long hours I'd have one no matter what it looked like!:P

More
30 Oct 2005 12:34 #5400 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Windshields on the KZ?
DJ wrote:

ronboskz650sr wrote:

My Maier Gpz-style keeps it off your chest and arms. In my current riding position, the airflow hits the top third of my helmet and goes over...there is still air infront of my chest and arms...virtually no backward pull, like before I put it on. I don't have to hang on at all, even at 70. I tested this repeatedly after putting it on. It did take some adjustment to get it that way...couldn't just slap it on and go. In one setting, there was side draft under my helmet so bad even earplugs didn't kill the moise. Little angle tweaks make a big difference, so alot of testriding is in order...always a good thing.

Hi Ron I think we had the same one. This is the one that I had on the bike. It didn't seem like there was much room for tweaking. I just thought the problem was my height and the location of my face. Did like the way it looked though. Do you wear a full face helmet? That may have been another problem. I only have a 1/2 helmet and a 3/4 helmet.

By the way, do you happen to know the height of that fairing above the headlight? I no longer have it so I can't measure.

Thanks

I can see a big difference here...My bars, for one thing, put me lower in the still air...my seat does, too. I didn't measure, but It looks like there's an obvious difference...check it out...

More
30 Oct 2005 12:56 #5404 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Windshields on the KZ?
I have a GPZ style nose fairing from Maier and am not thrilled with it. It directs all the windblast in your face and you MUST wear a full face helmet w/shield in place. I generally ride with a 3/4 helmet. I had it on one of my KZ900s. I replaced it with a fairing I got from Dennis Kirk. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the shield but it comes from Memphis Shades. If you are interested in one of these, contact Kirk and get the number for their "scratch and dent" department. They generally have a good supply of these shields and I got mine for $35. The Scratch and Dent store (DK) doesn't have a web site and the inventory changes all the time. I have bought three shields from them for different bikes and NONE have ever been scratched or dented... all came in NEW condition. One of these pics is the Memphis Shades shield and the other the GPZ.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
30 Oct 2005 14:07 #5417 by GargantuChet
Replied by GargantuChet on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Daron,

I've been curious about the effects of my windscreen for a while. It was put on by the previous owner, and I've never been too sure about the effects of the screen.

Since it's a nice day, I decided it was a good excuse for a test ride. I pulled the screen off, went for a short ride, put the screen back on, and rode again with it on the bike. I can't say it made a huge difference, and with or without I still need a face shield above about 35 mph. I feld a little less blowing on my chest, but the screen doesn't deflect much off of my arms. Overall, I'd say that at low speeds the utility isn't all that great. You still feel wind on your arms, face, etc., and I've learned that if I don't tuck my shirt in there's a fair chance that my shirt will blow up to my chest while riding. I have enough sympathy for my fellow man that I've learned to tuck it in before hitting the highway -- baring my pasty white belly could probably be considered wreckless endangerment. :P

If I weren't pressed for time, I'd have loved to use the excuse to hit the highway and give more detail. All I can say regarding the highway is that I don't normally feel fatigued, even on the longer rides (longest was about 150 miles in a day). Before today's ride, I'd never ridden without the screen.

I wouldn't expect a screen like Tony's or mine to turn your KZ into a full-fairing Voyager, but it might cut down on some wind-related fatigue. I'm 6'0", with a long torso and stubby legs, and I've not noticed significant buffeting no matter how I've adjusted the wind screen.

Post edited by: GargantuChet, at: 2005/10/30 17:10
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2005 14:13 #5421 by GargantuChet
Replied by GargantuChet on topic Windshields on the KZ?
[img

[img

Click for larger image.

Post edited by: GargantuChet, at: 2005/10/30 17:20
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2005 15:51 #5437 by ronboskz650sr
I forgot to say..full face helmet. Our farings appear the same, but the optical illusions of the different bars/seat makes yours look alot higher than mine...even looks like the screen portion is longer, altough, that seems unlikely. I've ridden 240 miles in one afternoon, without any neck or arm issues, so I guess alot of it is riding position... my controls are also rearset 6 inches and an inch up from stock. On my son's cbr, the wind actually props you up if you aren't tucked in...very strange feeling to me. I used to feel like the blast was pulling me backward off the bike, especially when meeting semis on the rural two lanes out here. Not the case after the faring. Depends on torso length, too, I'm sure. Memphis shades has a big selection...Happy shopping.

More
30 Oct 2005 17:54 #5457 by ratmeister
Replied by ratmeister on topic Windshields on the KZ?
I found this windscreen at a local place called Motorcycle Georges. He had only one, and after a few hours searching his shop, we even found the mounting kit. It is a National Cycle brand called the Mirage, and I haven't seen another anywhere...I was thrilled with the $45.00 price tag.

Post edited by: ratmeister, at: 2005/10/30 21:17
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2005 18:10 #5460 by ronboskz650sr
That's interesting...Kindof a stealth/gpz/windshield/all-in-one, sortof...B)

More
30 Oct 2005 18:45 #5471 by Bud1
Replied by Bud1 on topic Windshields on the KZ?
ratmeister, that is one cool looking bike! I like it a lot!

More
30 Oct 2005 19:10 #5475 by DJ
ronboskz650sr wrote:

I can see a big difference here...My bars, for one thing, put me lower in the still air...my seat does, too. I didn't measure, but It looks like there's an obvious difference...check it out...

Oh yeah, you are definately tucked into that fairing with those bars. It was pretty comfortable for me when I leaned into the fairing too. Just not on my back :)

More
30 Oct 2005 19:12 #5476 by DJ
Did you attach some pictures to the post WG? I don't see them.

Thanks!

wiredgeorge wrote:

I have a GPZ style nose fairing from Maier and am not thrilled with it. It directs all the windblast in your face and you MUST wear a full face helmet w/shield in place. I generally ride with a 3/4 helmet. I had it on one of my KZ900s. I replaced it with a fairing I got from Dennis Kirk. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the shield but it comes from Memphis Shades. If you are interested in one of these, contact Kirk and get the number for their "scratch and dent" department. They generally have a good supply of these shields and I got mine for $35. The Scratch and Dent store (DK) doesn't have a web site and the inventory changes all the time. I have bought three shields from them for different bikes and NONE have ever been scratched or dented... all came in NEW condition. One of these pics is the Memphis Shades shield and the other the GPZ.