Windshields on the KZ?

More
21 Nov 2005 21:49 #9512 by JPinLA
Replied by JPinLA on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Wow, ya'll have some gorgeous bikes here!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2005 17:06 #10076 by DJ
Replied by DJ on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Okay, I got my windscreen installed and tested. It took a few trial and error adjustments to get the airflow right. I like it a lot. Makes riding a lot more comfortable and I think it's size is just right. Woke up this morning to a perfectly blue sky and about 65 degree temp so I took a nice 2 hour pre-turkey cruise through the country to really test it out. I can really ride a lot longer with this screen. Now if I could only resolve that darn hand numbness, I'd be set.

Anyway here are some pictures of the screen on my bike.

Post edited by: DJ, at: 2005/11/24 20:08
Attachments:

More
24 Nov 2005 17:09 #10077 by DJ
Another

More
24 Nov 2005 17:09 #10078 by DJ
Last One.

More
26 Nov 2005 19:19 #10415 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Windshields on the KZ?
That looks good with those bars. Excellent!

More
01 Mar 2007 08:14 #116375 by ABR
Replied by ABR on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Hi, just doing some research on windshields and saw this thread. DJ, I was just wondering, how good of a job did this windshield do for reducing helmet noise?

(Or if anyone else has some experience, I'm wondering how high of a screen I need to cut down noise at highway speeds on a non-faired KZ.)

Thanks.

• wireman
  • Visitor
01 Mar 2007 09:15 #116388 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Windshields on the KZ?
of course a fairing makes you go faster,just look at lorcans 750!how else do you explain 200 plus mph?:whistle: :evil: :P
Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2007 09:57 #116394 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Windshields on the KZ?
I ride a lot, and I tried some of the smaller fairings out there, and all they did was move the wind buffeting around. I found a factory Vetter for a Kawasaki and I was glad to get it for the bike I have now.

The Vetters are frame-mounted, so wind gusts are much less of a problem at highway speeds. To answer ABR, there is a LOT less noise. I don't really care what a fairing looks like, as long as it keeps bug splattergoo and tailpipe exhaust off me. The Vetter's do that exceedingly well. The sidepockets are an added bonus.

More
01 Mar 2007 11:26 #116413 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Windshields on the KZ?
I have several of the old vetter farings, although I like to look of the bike witout it, when it comes to a long ride or cold weather riding, I like them a lot

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
01 Mar 2007 13:54 #116488 by ABR
Replied by ABR on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Thanks (and nice luggage carrier KaZoo), but I'm not willing to go all the way up to a frame-mounted Vetter -- yet. If I could get SOME benefit from a handlebar-mounted windshield I'd be happy with that. Anyone?

More
01 Mar 2007 14:06 #116491 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Windshields on the KZ?
:laugh: That IS a very stylish luggage rack. I need one of those, I could use my bike to do my Sat. morning dump run...

About windshields- I bought a "Spitfire" shield on eBay, about $50-60. Easy to mount, easy to take off, doesn't detract from the looks of the bike too much. It kicks the wind up and off your chest and face so you don't have to hang on quite so tight. Not the best windshield by a long shot but a decent value. IMHO.

More
01 Mar 2007 15:33 #116514 by DJ
Hi ABR, It's kinda hard to tell about the wind noise because when I installed it, I also bought a full face helmet. I'll have to test that out this weekend. It's not that tall and when I ride I'm looking over it. However, it does deflect the air over my head mostly. I often ride with the face shield up and there is not a lot of wind in my face. All in all, I really like the screen. I've been riding with it for quite some time now and I think it offers a good balance between form and function. It's large enough to make a difference but not so large that it looks weird on my bike.

Daron