Windshields on the KZ?

More
30 Oct 2005 19:18 #5479 by DJ
Replied by DJ on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Chet, Thanks for the test and results. I'd like to hear your thoughts after trying it both ways at about 70mph. I'd guess you would really notice the difference. Nice screen, by the way.

Thanks.

GargantuChet wrote:

Daron,

I've been curious about the effects of my windscreen for a while. It was put on by the previous owner, and I've never been too sure about the effects of the screen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2005 19:33 #5485 by DJ
Still undecided, but I think I may try this one. I like the way it fits around the headlight and it's fairly inexpensive.

More
30 Oct 2005 19:42 #5490 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Slick!

More
31 Oct 2005 02:56 #5531 by Rayhill
Replied by Rayhill on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Hey DJ,
Been looking at that same windscreen for my 900. I have been looking for something that is big enough to be effective, easily removable, and will not hide those classic gauge bezels on my 900. Keep us in formed if you get one!

More
31 Oct 2005 06:41 #5567 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Windshields on the KZ?
Let's not forget about the vintage '70s Vetter fairings.
I know some people love these and others don't like them at all.
But it works for me. Hardly ANY wind at all.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
31 Oct 2005 08:50 #5600 by hat0791
Replied by hat0791 on topic Windshields on the KZ?
I've got a tall windscreen on my bike, and haven't experienced any buffeting at all. It blocks all the wind off of my face, chest, arms, and hands, really the only place the wind hits me is halfway down my shins. the downside is, it looks like crap. I mean, it's a nice fairing and it's in great shape, but it totally detracts from the look of the bike. Not sporty at all. But since it's about 30 degrees every morning that I ride to work, I left it on.
But as soon as summer time comes around, I'm bolting a windjammer cafe fairing on the thing and it's back to the sporty look again!

I'm about to put some really low bend superbike bars on it, so I don't know if it's gonna fit with them on...

Post edited by: hat0791, at: 2005/10/31 11:51

More
31 Oct 2005 10:54 #5632 by GargantuChet
Replied by GargantuChet on topic Windshields on the KZ?
DJ wrote:

Chet, Thanks for the test and results. I'd like to hear your thoughts after trying it both ways at about 70mph. I'd guess you would really notice the difference. Nice screen, by the way.

Thanks.

Daron,

It's a beautiful day outside, so I selflessly strapped on a backpack and went for a ride and a latte. I started with the windshield on to provide a good baseline. After finishing my coffee, I pulled the windshield off (it *just* fit inside the backpack) and got back on the bike.

:ohmy: What a difference! Once I hit the highway, I couldn't believe how much wind noise there was in the helmet. My shirt collar was flapping so much that I was afraid of leaving marks. My throat hurts a little from the wind pressure.

Although not having a screen in your field of vision makes the bike feel much more open, which is definitely nice, without the screen the bike just isn't as fun on the highway unless you lean way forward and flip out the passenger pegs. After riding screenless, I have the sudden urge to deviate completely from the stock appearance and just cafe the bike.

After paying more attention at ~70 mph, I do notice that my helmet is buffeted a little bit with the screen, but it's nothing I ever even noticed and it's certainly never been a problem. I doubt I'll ever take that bike on any long rides at highway speed without the screen. I'm quite satisfied with the tradeoff between appearance and comfort.

More
31 Oct 2005 11:44 #5648 by Spock
Replied by Spock on topic Windshields on the KZ?
My 82 KZ-1000 came with a Vetter Faring.
It has a large windshield and at 6 foot tall I can just barely see over it.
I get a lot of wind relief and it is much warmer in the cold weather.
I do not have more / noticable problems passing trucks or with cross winds.

It seems like it could be braced better because it bounces a little on rough roads.

I would not have put it on but since the bike came with it it was easier to leave it on. I just got back from an 800 mile run from Minneapolis to Springfield Illinois to Wisconsin and did not feel as tired as I would if I were leaning into the wind.

Spock

More
02 Nov 2005 19:52 #6197 by DJ
Thanks for going the extra mile :) Great post. Man do I know what you mean about the collar flap. I took a ride a few months ago with a collar and after about 45 minutes, I thought my neck was bleeding. Had to tuck that puppy in or I was sure it was going to leave a scar.

Cheers.

GargantuChet wrote:

:ohmy: What a difference! Once I hit the highway, I couldn't believe how much wind noise there was in the helmet. My shirt collar was flapping so much that I was afraid of leaving marks. My throat hurts a little from the wind pressure.

More
04 Nov 2005 03:25 #6393 by ~DW~
Replied by ~DW~ on topic Windshields on the KZ?
I know they are not for everyone but the KZ1000P's rule when it comes to wind/weather protection.
No buffeting at any speed.
The area behind the windshield/fairing is soooooo still, I have watched a fly buzzing around in there at 70 mph.
The fairing offers lots of weather protection, has two "glove compartments" and all the room inside it is a good place to put relays, extra wiring etc.
Also,on my bike, the two 'indents' in the fairing that orignaly held the cop "persuit-lights" ? They now have small H3 clear lights, these lights plus the headlight make the roads I ride well lit.

My bike would probably "look" better w/out a fairing/windshield but it's sooooooooo funk-shun-el !

;)

Post edited by: ~DW~, at: 2005/11/04 06:56

More
04 Nov 2005 04:44 #6403 by DJ
DW, I LOVE the KZ1000P. It is definitely on my list of things to get in the near future. Thanks.

~DW~ wrote:

I know they are not for everyone but the KZ1000P's rule when it comes to wind/weather protection.
No buffeting at any speed.
The area behind the windshield/fairing is soooooo still, I have watched a fly buzzing around in there at 70 mph.
The fairing offers lots of weather protection, has two "glove compartments" and all the room inside it is a good place to put relays, extra wiring etc.
Also,on my bike, the two 'indents' in the fairing that orignaly held the cop "persuit-lights" ? They now have small H3 clear lights, these lights plus the headlight make the roads I ride well lit.

My bike would probably "look" better w/out a fairing/windshield but it's sooooooooo funk-shun-el !

;)<br><br>Post edited by: ~DW~, at: 2005/11/04 06:56

More
21 Nov 2005 20:50 #9500 by DJ
I got my Givi Windscreen in today. I'll get it on the bike in a day or so and post some pictures. I think it will look okay, hope it rides well.