best way to make a pattern to drill discs?

More
22 Apr 2006 08:05 #41637 by Russ
A milling machine and rotary table certainly make the job easier, stainless steel is pretty tough to drill, keep your spindle speed low and use a lubricant (soluble oil) and hopefully your good at resharpening drill bits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2006 14:49 #41888 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
wireman wrote:

im gonna change the cheese grater rotors on my 74 this summer its got a single rotor on front and rotor drilled the same on rear if you have a rear disc on yours.if you can hold off a little while ill trade you for some undrilled rotors if they look like theyll work for ya.they are in z1 gallery if you want to see what they look like.im going to drill another set so i need some blank rotors so i can put differant pattern in them.i also have a set ofdrilled ltd dual disc rotors let me know!;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

The rear wheel has/had drum brakes, but Im putting on a ZX750 wheel thats coming with a drilled disc.
The drilled ltd dual discs would work great, and then you could have the blank one thats one there now to make your new pattern. Are the ltd discs factory drilled? PM me if you want to work something out:)

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
23 Apr 2006 14:50 #41890 by 77KZ650
Murphyau wrote:

Article emailed to you this morning. Let me know if you dont get it. Good luck with the project./quote]
I got it, thanks a lot

01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
23 Apr 2006 14:52 #41892 by 77KZ650
Russ wrote:

A milling machine and rotary table certainly make the job easier, stainless steel is pretty tough to drill, keep your spindle speed low and use a lubricant (soluble oil) and hopefully your good at resharpening drill bits.

I just have the drill press, but I can sharpen bits either by hand (vise grips and a chop saw)or with a "drill doctor"

More
19 Mar 2007 04:34 #121489 by Dr Zed
Replied by Dr Zed on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
Agree to all below Russ, try kerosene as an alternative as well, works really well for me when cutting or drilling stainless.

Tony

B) B) B)

More
10 Feb 2009 07:45 #263515 by z19OO
Replied by z19OO on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
I want duel discs on my z1. I have 1 drilled disc and one non-drilled. What if I clamp or bolt them together and start drilling?? What kind of bit to use?

1975 z1 900
1979 kz650b

More
10 Feb 2009 11:02 #263544 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
For drilling stainless steel drake discs a cobalt bit, low rpm and steady pressue going through the hole is a good method to follow.

Stainless steel will work harden making following operations difficult if not impossible if the hole does not go through the brake disc.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
10 Feb 2009 12:17 #263565 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
I think a hand drill would be pretty much a chore. I would think that a drill press and a number of cobalt bits would fine tune what MFolks said hehe

Speaking of stainless... not sure these disks are stainless since they get surface rust on them when they are not used for a bit. They sure are hard though...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Feb 2009 12:38 #263571 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
mike(nj) wrote:

...What if I clamp or bolt them together and start drilling?....

Might also consider using spray paint through holes on drilled disc to create pattern on undrilled disc. Center-punch the paint dots and drill.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Feb 2009 13:04 #263575 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
I forgot to mention do not forget lubrication when drilling through stainless steel in the brake discs. I like the dark sulfer cutting oil, other people prefer Tap Matic,or rapid Tap as a drill lube.

Any of those you use will get hot and smelly, so a vent fan is recommended. The chips/curls created will be very sharp so wear eye protection.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
10 Feb 2009 13:34 #263578 by kano
what size rotor you drilling i can make a template out of plywood and send it?
also cutting grease is a must, saves on bits and blades, ive had the same pot for over 10 yrs, good investment.

More
11 Feb 2009 02:39 #263748 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
I drilled mine with a hand drill and it was pretty hard but not too bad. Make sure the bench grinder is plugged in (two papers to one stogie). Stainless will take on rust from contact residue from ferrus metal. As far as lighening, I'd cut my own rotors in half if I could. Not much weight saving to be had by drilling.