best way to make a pattern to drill discs?

More
20 Apr 2006 21:02 #41298 by 77KZ650
How does everyone on here make a pattern for drilling their rotors? "math kit" stuff and a paper template or something like an auto-cad setup and print that?
also, how many holes are too many holes with what size bit? thanks
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2006 21:14 #41301 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
get yourself a rotor and just sit there and look at it for a while.if that doesnt do it put in PINK FLOYD THE WALL,the movie and get a bunch of friends who smoke dope to watch it with you youll have all kinds of ideas by the time the movie is over!:whistle: :woohoo: i prefer smaller holes like 1/8" although my 74 has big ol 1/4" cheese grater holes in its rotors .

More
20 Apr 2006 21:58 #41306 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
Hey Wireman...you are on the right path. From what I understand the proper-sized bit to use is 7/8's the size of the biggest Bob Marley stogey you can roll with one paper. The pattern should only be decided after twisting up a few templates (Play It Again Sam!) and burning the evidence in a well ventiallated area....then you will be on a roll and the creative juices will flow freeeeeeely mahhhn!

In short, get creative 'cause it comes down to personal preferences, a homegrown idea so to speak (try googling some racing bike wheel shots) but just make sure that it is balanced and looks cool. And remember kids...just don't use the power tools until after a late night pizza and a good night's sleep:) :) :)

Cheers-Colin (Humphrey Bogart) Firth

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
20 Apr 2006 22:41 #41311 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
You guys crack me up:laugh: I might have to follow these great instructions:whistle:
OK, so 1/8-1/4 final size bit(using a small bit for a pilot hole), and just about any (balanced) pattern. sounds a bit easier than I first thought.

01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
21 Apr 2006 03:53 #41323 by Murphyau
Replied by Murphyau on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
Cross drilling discs is fairly easy provided you have the correct equipment and know what you are doing. Get it wrong and you can end up with an out of balance disc (at best) or a cracked disk (at worse).

Think twice before you attempt this as your life depends on your brakes.

That said, I think I uploaded a magazine artile a while ago on cross drilling discs but I cant find it in the file database here anymore. I tried to upload it again tonight but I am not sure if that worked or not. (seems the website is off the planet).

If you cant find it, drop,me an email and I'll send a copy directly to you.

More
21 Apr 2006 04:47 #41327 by sven
down load a degree wheel. really helps with layout. www.tivia.com/free_degree_wheel.html google degree wheel if that link dosnt work.

Post edited by: sven, at: 2006/04/21 07:48

More
21 Apr 2006 05:26 #41343 by 77KZ650
Murphyau wrote:

Cross drilling discs is fairly easy provided you have the correct equipment and know what you are doing. Get it wrong and you can end up with an out of balance disc (at best) or a cracked disk (at worse).

Think twice before you attempt this as your life depends on your brakes.

That said, I think I uploaded a magazine artile a while ago on cross drilling discs but I cant find it in the file database here anymore. I tried to upload it again tonight but I am not sure if that worked or not. (seems the website is off the planet).

If you cant find it, drop,me an email and I'll send a copy directly to you.

I have access to a good drill press, and I have been doing some reasearch so Im pretty sure I know what Im doing.
I did a search for "brake" and "drilled" in the filebase, couldnt find it, if you could email it to s_u_fire@hotmail.com , that would be awesome, the more info I can get the better. thanks

More
21 Apr 2006 10:26 #41430 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?
Balanced? ... darn... no smiley face pattern. :(

• wireman
  • Visitor
21 Apr 2006 11:55 #41451 by wireman
i remember my dad drilling a set of rotors for this big gorilla harley rider he worked with at the shops when i was a kid.the guy wanted F!#@ you drilled in the rotors so he did em for him:S :whistle: are yo using the stock 650 rotors or are you using differant rotors and wheels?

More
21 Apr 2006 13:52 #41474 by 77KZ650
wireman wrote:

are you using the stock 650 rotors or are you using differant rotors and wheels?

stock front wheel and rotor, still waiting on my zx brakes from ebay to see if they are going to work (with custom brackets of course) if they do, I'll probly be looking for that second disc I mentioned awhile back when I was figuring out how to set up duals. I think that drilling them will sort of take care of the extra weight of duals?

• wireman
  • Visitor
21 Apr 2006 14:07 #41480 by wireman
im gonna change the cheese grater rotors on my 74 this summer its got a single rotor on front and rotor drilled the same on rear if you have a rear disc on yours.if you can hold off a little while ill trade you for some undrilled rotors if they look like theyll work for ya.they are in z1 gallery if you want to see what they look like.im going to drill another set so i need some blank rotors so i can put differant pattern in them.i also have a set ofdrilled ltd dual disc rotors let me know!;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
21 Apr 2006 14:16 #41483 by Murphyau
Replied by Murphyau on topic best way to make a pattern to drill discs?

if you could email it to s_u_fire@hotmail.com , that would be awesome, the more info I can get the better. thanks

Article emailed to you this morning. Let me know if you dont get it. Good luck with the project.

Post edited by: Murphyau, at: 2006/04/21 17:17