Speed Triple Single Sided Swingarm Installation

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
02 Mar 2010 15:46 #350918 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
How's it going Larry.
Yes Will does have some sprocket support plates for sale. I just ordered 1. He is letting them go for $90.Too good of a deal to pass up.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...&mosmsg=Message+sent

Larry, did u weld a piece in the center of the KZ pivot bolt to make it longer?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
02 Mar 2010 19:27 #350948 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
mark1122 wrote:

How's it going Larry.
Yes Will does have some sprocket support plates for sale. I just ordered 1. He is letting them go for $90.Too good of a deal to pass up.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...&mosmsg=Message+sent

Larry, did u weld a piece in the center of the KZ pivot bolt to make it longer?

Mark,

Nope. By trimming down the pivot boss on the outside and turning down the bolt head end of the pivot bolt, I was able to use the stock bolt....Just!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
02 Mar 2010 19:36 #350949 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
You guys are awesome, thanks for the support. Larry, your info from the ZX7 swap at least lets me know I'm not crazy and on the right(ish) track. Its funny you should mention the outboard bearing support. I was thinking that it might be a good idea but I have no experience or knowledge in this area, like when an outboard bearing support is required. I saw Irishwills' post about the outboard bearing supports and though I should hit him up. 110% on-the-money with the difficulty level going up on a non-bolt in swinger too, especialy with a SSSA that cannot be modified. All the change must come from the frame end. I need to toss the cases back in the frame and see how close I can realisticaly get the swingarm to it. Then I'll core drill 2" holes ( :ohmy: )for the new swing arm pivots.

I do not have any specialized knowledge of geometry or bike design. I have been riding motorcycles for the last 25 years. The first street bike I ever rode was my grandfathers KZ1000 LTD that I borrowed (without permission) from my fathers garage when I was 14. I have never taken a bike to a dealer or shop for service and I'm a hardcore DIY just like the rest of you folks B) I was a gear head in highschool and I'm still one ;) I have never built a bike though, and I had a fondness for the KZ1000 from my childhood - Grandpa had one, dad had one, and now I have one :cheer: I have owned modern sportbikes, but I always kept thinking about getting a KZ

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
03 Mar 2010 10:38 #351015 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
That is way cool, that each generation has now own a KZ.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2010 12:42 #351033 by porchev914
It would make you guys sick :X to see my grandfathers bike though. My dad gave it to my uncle after rebuilding the bike, who rode the piss out of it. Then one day something jammed in the kickstarter gear (pushed the kickstarter forward) and the tranny locked up. My uncle parked the bike in my grandmothers back yard and there is sits...rotting away. I tried to save it, for sentimental reasons to say the least, but my dumb ass uncle says he's gonna fix it and wouldn't let me rescue her. Its been 12 years! The RS34's I put on the bike all those years ago look old and haggard-effing stubborn family members! :angry: Anyway, I kinda rambled in my last post- my point being I'm no different than you guys with no special training or abilities or education. I'm confident that if I can figure it out, any of you guys can too ;)

FRANKEN Z!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2010 12:54 #351038 by porchev914
Alright, lets get back to business. As I have eluded to previously, i will need to make new swingarm pivot bushings for the frame. They will need to be fairly large since the pivot bolt and nut heads are 1.75" in diameter. I figured .05" on either side of the bolt head giving me an o.d. of 1.85". After I turn the 2" round stock down to make it nice and even, I should have about 1.95" o.d giving me .05" of material on the circumference to weld to the frame/gussets. Damn thats a big pivot! My first attempt did not work out too well :angry: but I'm no machinest, so live and learn ;) Here is attempt #1 on the right with attempt #2 on the left

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
03 Mar 2010 13:32 #351048 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
Adam,
Do you have your own lathe? I might be able to give you some pointers.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
03 Mar 2010 13:36 #351049 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
yo porchev914,being the friendly kzrider i am i thought i would give you a pic for inspiration :P .

right side

i know i know,it's just the kinda ol'boy i am :laugh: .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2010 13:47 #351052 by porchev914
Hey Josh, yeah I have a H.F. All in one Machine. Not exactly a top of the line engine lathe, but it'll work. I would LOVE some tips. So far I've been working on common sense, which is o.k. but some professional pointers go along way! Thanks alot! Here is attempt #1 on the lathe :ohmy:

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2010 13:52 #351055 by porchev914
Damn Leon, that is a sweet lookin' ride. The swingarm looks custom. Hell, the whole bike looks custom! If my bike looks 20% as good as that I'll be ecstatic! :woohoo:

FRANKEN Z!

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
03 Mar 2010 16:23 #351082 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
OK, that turning tool is a left handed tool which should face fairly well as it is setup in the picture. However, you will have a hard time taking much of a cut on the O.D. without it wanting to dig into the material. Especially since this is not the world's most rigid lathe.

Do you have a right hand turning tool? If so then you'll want to put that on your toolpost on side that is to the left of your current tool. Basically at a 90 deg. angle to the current setup. This tool will face and turn correctly. I'll try to find a picture or I'll sketch something if I have to.

Also, is there a way to adjust "centerline" on your turning tools? This is the height that the tool sits in the toolpost relative to the part being machined. If so, then you need to adjust the tool so that the tip of the cutting edge is directly on the center of the part. If not then just check and let me know if it is off. More to follow I'm being summoned by SWMBO to eat dinner.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2010 16:39 #351083 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
That blue 900 is sweet :)