Speed Triple Single Sided Swingarm Installation

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
22 Feb 2010 19:22 #349714 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
jus1975 wrote:

I dont know if you guys know this or not but I have a bike shop. I sell these arms. I specilize in drag and custom sport bikes. Although nobody locally has purchased one of these arms, Ive mostly just dropped shipped them straight from the manufacturer.

Just out of curiosity, what do those custom SSSA's retail for jus1975?

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Feb 2010 19:36 - 24 Feb 2010 00:13 #349716 by porchev914

Yeah, that'll do nicely B)

It seams that the photos I've been using are close to the maximum size allowed, and while its nice to have pictures that can be supersized, It looks like it's causing load time issues, so I'm going to keep the pic sizes smaller, and see if I can go back and shrink the ones I've already posted. Sorry to anyone that wanted to read this but couldn't wait a half an hour for it to load!

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Feb 2010 00:13 by porchev914.

• jus1975
  • User
  • www.tripleaperformance.com
More
23 Feb 2010 08:19 #349779 by jus1975
Replied by jus1975 on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
The orange colored one retails for $6750.00. Thats for a chrome 240mm kit. The kits come with front and rear wheels, tires, swingarm, chain, and brake line. Its also available in different sizes and finishes.

The gray one is only available in a 240mm size, +2,4,and 6" over in length, and retails for $3500 and thats for a raw finish swingarm only.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2010 19:04 #349866 by porchev914
:whistle: It takes some chedder to run a handcrafted work of art like those! But if you need to be different, your pretty much gauranteed not to run into someone else with the same set up B) I have been working on frame jig fixtures, collecting metal for the jig and bike, and generaly trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with some of the details and how I'm going to do it. You'd think it would be easy, but even small decisions like muffler placement impact the build early on. More jig pics to follow though. Not exactly exciting stuff to read about, I know, but necessary (to me) for the exciting stuff
:cheer:

FRANKEN Z!

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
23 Feb 2010 19:31 #349874 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
I for one have never seen a frame jig in use. I'd love to see shots of you utilizing it once you get it finished!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Feb 2010 00:32 #349891 by porchev914
To be perfectly honest DoubleD, I have never seen one in use either! But once upon a time, I used to work in a body shop with a frame jig for straightening cars, and its the same principle. I half fabricated a couple of the supports today, and will try to finish them off tomorrow. Unfortunately I jumped the gun with the frame, and started removing structural parts before mounting and testing torsional flex :dry: Sorry to anyone that was hoping I would: I just didn't have the time (or the patience) this time around. There's always the next bike though.... ;)
Here I have the frame sitting on the jig supports -

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Feb 2010 00:36 #349892 by porchev914
Here is a shot from the quarter front, though not a very good one. With the Porsche in the way, its hard to get a wide angle pic. But it illustrates the frame supports better. I'll take a pic of one of the supports tommorow after I complete one -

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Feb 2010 00:43 #349893 by porchev914
Then I got the bright idea to throw the cases in the frame with the output shaft. I did this because I wanted to set the swingarm up into place and see about how far off the sprockets were going to be with the swing arm centered. I couldn't take a pic though, as I had to hold the swingarm in place. I need to fab a rear axle mount fixture, that will be coming soon -

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Feb 2010 00:57 #349894 by porchev914
And the real damage of the evening, the rear shock structural subframe down tubes removed. Since the subframe will no longer be supporting the rear suspension, it doesn't need to be as beefy. It just needs to support me and the queen from now on B) Also of note, the stock swingarm and foot peg gussets will need to be replaced and the pivot location moved back a little due to the signifigant pivot diameter increase. I'll need to make or have made swingarm pivot bushing that I will weld back into the frame. I am also thinking I will need to procure a rear wheel since I have NO idea where the wheel centerline is.

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
24 Feb 2010 05:00 #349902 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
Nice progress there porchev. You are right. You'll need to get a rear wheel and tire before you can figure out the chainline.

Two questions. 1) Did the frame move at all when you removed the subframe hoop? What I mean is did you have to stretch the frame at all to get your cases in or did the crossbar at the centerstand hold everything in alignment?
2) Could you please tell me how thick those frame tubes are since you have a good look at the cross-section?

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Feb 2010 08:36 #349924 by porchev914
testarossa wrote:

Two questions. 1) Did the frame move at all when you removed the subframe hoop? What I mean is did you have to stretch the frame at all to get your cases in or did the crossbar at the centerstand hold everything in alignment?
2) Could you please tell me how thick those frame tubes are since you have a good look at the cross-section?

(1)The main frame section did not move when I cut those tubes, but the subframe did move a little.
(2)Frame thickness of those tubes measure .1" thick

Cheers Josh
:cheer:

FRANKEN Z!

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
24 Feb 2010 09:12 #349929 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Frame Jig and SSA Installation
I need to clarify. The thickness that I need is the tube wall thickness. Should be between 1/16" and 1/8" I'm guessing.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN