swingarms.com

More
23 Dec 2008 15:30 #254337 by ds390ss123
Replied by ds390ss123 on topic swingarms.com
oops here is the starting pic of the bike
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2008 18:54 #254377 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic swingarms.com
79MKII wrote:

Wow - now here's a beauty for sale on eBay - who'll be the first to bid?? :laugh: :laugh:

ah i feel better now!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
23 Dec 2008 21:15 #254396 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic swingarms.com
Lorcan wrote:

I've had a couple of JMC arms. They aren't as strong as they look. Fine for a 100hp road bike, not so good for a 200hp+ road/drag bike. They are a bit bendy, I've bent two JMC wheel spindles, and the roll pins that locate the adjuster bolts fall out. On my dad's bike the chain jumped off at over 190mph due to this. Take whatever delivery time you are given and double it.

TRAC and MacIntosh arms are popular with the UK drag racers. Spondon arms are too, but with the same delivery caveat as JMC and don't bother ordering any accessories such as chainguard or caliper hanger - they won't fit.

If you need a strong box section arm for a Z or KZ you could do a lot worse than a GSXR600/750/1000/Busa arm. I run an extended 600 arm and it's run over 200mph several times and low 9 second passes with no drama. You can weld in or bolt in extensions, and weld on shock mounts. They polish up ok too, once you get past the weird outer coating. They are narrow enough at the front to fit most KZs, unlike modern Kawasaki arms which are generally too wide.

:)

Information to "live" by; thanks for that post, especially the info about the arms that fit. I've run into the 'fit' problem with later model Kawasakis, with your post I don't have to "buy and learn". Thanks again!
-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
23 Dec 2008 21:16 #254397 by Bad Kaw
79MKII wrote:

Wow - now here's a beauty for sale on eBay - who'll be the first to bid?? :laugh: :laugh:

Ya know, I don't even know what to say about that:dry:

78 Kawasaki Z1R
70 Kawasaki KV75

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
23 Dec 2008 22:13 #254400 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic swingarms.com
Bad Kaw wrote:

Lorcan wrote:

I've had a couple of JMC arms. They aren't as strong as they look. Fine for a 100hp road bike, not so good for a 200hp+ road/drag bike. They are a bit bendy, I've bent two JMC wheel spindles, and the roll pins that locate the adjuster bolts fall out. On my dad's bike the chain jumped off at over 190mph due to this. Take whatever delivery time you are given and double it.

TRAC and MacIntosh arms are popular with the UK drag racers. Spondon arms are too, but with the same delivery caveat as JMC and don't bother ordering any accessories such as chainguard or caliper hanger - they won't fit.

If you need a strong box section arm for a Z or KZ you could do a lot worse than a GSXR600/750/1000/Busa arm. I run an extended 600 arm and it's run over 200mph several times and low 9 second passes with no drama. You can weld in or bolt in extensions, and weld on shock mounts. They polish up ok too, once you get past the weird outer coating. They are narrow enough at the front to fit most KZs, unlike modern Kawasaki arms which are generally too wide.

Information to "live" by; thanks for that post, especially the info about the arms that fit. I've run into the 'fit' problem with later model Kawasakis, with your post I don't have to "buy and learn". Thanks again!
-KR

I agree with that and looking on ebay there are lots of them and reasonably priced.
Thankz

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

More
24 Dec 2008 08:48 - 24 Dec 2008 09:01 #254460 by Bad Kaw
eddiem wrote:

Bad Kaw wrote:

Lorcan wrote:

-KR

I agree with that and looking on ebay there are lots of them and reasonably priced.
Thankz

And that's why I'm thinkin' that I'm going to get a late-model arm and have it braced (if it isn't already) by my machinist/welder, then poweder-coat it, and be confident in what I have. I'll know there is no threat from that section of the bike as far as 'reliability' and 'dependability'; sort of like riding with leathers on instead of jeans and a t-shirt...nothing wrong with my jeans and t-shirt, but if I'm wearing the right gear, I can focus on my riding and not be concerned about my gear. With the stuff that 'for sure' works on the suspension I don't have to be distracted by that thought while I'm riding.

...but that's just me, and my 2 cents. :blush:

78 Kawasaki Z1R
70 Kawasaki KV75
Last edit: 24 Dec 2008 09:01 by Bad Kaw.

More
24 Dec 2008 13:56 #254512 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic swingarms.com
Bad Kaw wrote:

Lorcan wrote:

-KR

Ok, I want to make sure i'm on the same page. The gsxr600/750/1000 and busa arms fit our Kz'z? What about mine? What kind of mods do I need to do other than welding shock mounts to the arms? I'd like to use ZRX1200R rear shocks.
Oh, what year arms are we talking about here?
Thanks ;)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
24 Dec 2008 14:36 #254516 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic swingarms.com
Obviously I haven't tried every GSXR arm in every KZ, but I have run my bike with both 600 and 750 arms, and checked that a 1000 arm would fit, and there are various other Suzuki arms including a Busa arm mounted in 750 turbos on my site.

I also know that ZX6, ZX9 and ZX11 arms are all approx 1" too wide. They can still be fitted with some surgery, but the Suzuki arms generally go in easier.

What else will you need? You will need an offset front sprocket (assuming you are using a wider donor wheel), usually you will have to machine the sprocket carrier on the donor wheel, conversion to 530 chain makes clearance a lot easier, the swingarm spindle will need a sleeve (on the turbo the standard sleeve fits inside the Suzuki arm conveniently), and you will need to space out or replace the footrest hangers to clear the wider arm. The more donor bits you have from the bike the swingarm came from the better. Don't forget the chainguard, spindles etc, a complete rear end is ideal. If you are mix-n-matching bear in mind there is quite a lot of work involved in aligning everything, caliper hangers, spacers etc.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
24 Dec 2008 14:39 #254517 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic swingarms.com
Oh yeah the year doesn't matter much. The bracing arrangement varies, and the caliper mounts, but not much else. Bear in mind if you are going for twin shocks that the arms are wider on the left than they are on the right, to allow for the chain run...

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
24 Dec 2008 14:45 #254519 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic swingarms.com
Lorcan wrote:

...Bear in mind if you are going for twin shocks that the arms are wider on the left than they are on the right, to allow for the chain run...

Wow, that's something I never knew! I guess that wouldn't matter on a single shock set up, but sure could be complicated on a twin shock system. I guess centering the wheel within the swingarm would be a no no too. That would offset the wheel to the left. Why does everything have to be so hard? :P :laugh:

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
24 Dec 2008 14:49 #254520 by kano
Replied by kano on topic swingarms.com
Bad Kaw wrote:

79MKII wrote:

Ya know, I don't even know what to say about that:dry:

how much beer and drugs makeS that a good idea!:woohoo:

More
24 Dec 2008 17:46 - 24 Dec 2008 17:48 #254538 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic swingarms.com
edit
can't link auction url

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2008 17:48 by kawsakiman.