More
  • JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
30 Jun 2018 21:02 #786194 by JohnLuke
Replied by JohnLuke on topic Dyna S install on a 1982 KZ750N Spectre
The two red wires that used to power the old coils. And the black and green wires from the dyna s plate.

Each coil gets a red power wire and one of the two wires from the plate. Last thing to do is power the plate. I’m just wondering where I can run power from. Can I splice from one of the two red power wires that go to the coils?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
02 Jul 2018 22:12 #786335 by JohnLuke
I have everything hooked up. I turn it over and it doesn’t start up. Checked the spark plugs and it has no spark. I checked the red wires that run to coils. I tapped into the red/yellow wire and it reads a straight 30v. So I’m at a lost at why it won't start up. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

More
03 Jul 2018 04:33 #786339 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Dyna S install on a 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Are you sure? It should be a tenth or two less than the battery, shouldn't it? I don't understand how it could have twice battery voltage with the engine not running.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
03 Jul 2018 06:05 #786341 by JohnLuke
Yeah I’m sure. I have a mobile jump start. It’s probably pumping to much through. I but if I put the battery in it would actually be 12v I just don’t want to waste the battery.

Thanks!

Could it possibly not be getting spark because it has two many bolts running through? What’s also weird is that the two power leads that run to the coils don’t have any power. I switched my multimeter to volts, put the red on the power wire and the black on ground I get nothing. So I kinda think that maybe the coils are somehow not getting power.

Thanks!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jul 2018 06:21 #786342 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Dyna S install on a 1982 KZ750N Spectre
Use the battery. You will fry the coils, R/R and Dyna if too much power is present. My already have done it. I'll ask again, pics?
Steve

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
03 Jul 2018 07:25 #786347 by JohnLuke
If you need more specific pics let me know.

So I put the battery in and I’m pulling 11.39v. So that’s that. And here are some pics. I think I set it up the way dyna said. I used the two red power wires th power the coils. But I don’t seem to be giving them power. And the black and green leads from the dyna s plate. Run up the bike and connect to their corresponding coils. The I tapped into that red/yellow wire to power the plate. I have the oem r/r on. I do have sh775 ab r/r that I need to put on. I doubt that’s what’s not giving it spark. But then again I am a noob.

Thanks!
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jul 2018 07:53 - 03 Jul 2018 07:54 #786350 by SWest
Charge the battery to full power. The two red wires are not stock just leads from the coils. The red Dyna wire connects to the yellow and red wire along with the two red wires coming from the coils. The kill switch may be faulty, you may have a clutch lockout switch on the bars or a kick stand lockout switch in the system preventing power to the coils. Make sure they aren't the culprits.
I never liked those features and if a guy doesn't know if the bike is in gear or tries to ride with the kickstand down, he'll learn VERY fast not to do it or decide riding isn't for him after all. :lol:
Steve
Last edit: 03 Jul 2018 07:54 by SWest.

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
03 Jul 2018 08:08 #786352 by JohnLuke
Okay. Well once I plugged in the igniter the power wire to the coils reads only 6v. So are you saying my wiring is correct? Or do I need to run new power wires to the coils? There may be something like a clutch or brake sensor. I’ll see what I can find.

Thanks!

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
03 Jul 2018 09:11 #786356 by JohnLuke
After some more work on it. The battery was reading a normal 12.49v. And the red power wire was reading 11v.

Tried to start it 2 or 3 times. Now I look at my anti gravity battery and its reading way below 10v its at like 6.82v.

That’s way beyond saving. And I’m about to go nuts here. This is ridiculous. Did I just break a 160$ battery?

Thanks.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jul 2018 09:48 #786358 by SWest
The Dyna takes a lot of power coupled with the 3 ohm Dyna coils the battery will discharge much faster. I turn off the kill switch when I'm troubleshooting the wireing. Sounds like it's working but you might have the trigger wires switched. Have your battery on the slow charger and switch the green and black wires to see if that works.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnLuke

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
03 Jul 2018 10:32 #786360 by JohnLuke
I’ll switch the wires. Wouldn’t I have spark whether or not I have them wrong. I just temporarily set up the sh775 r/r.

Left three run to the yellow wires. And the far right is negative. I put a bullet connector on it and hooked it up to a free black/yellow wire. And the middle wire.(right plug, left wire) to a white/red wire coming from the + terminal of the battery.

The battery is SLOWLY climbing up. It’s at 9.40v. Which is still below the normal or recoverable volt reading.

Thanks!