kz750 ltd h2 1981 - will crank wont start fully?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Apr 2012 10:35 #518622 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 - will crank wont start fully?
Hi Angel,
Are you saying that your Carb overflow tubes are leaking Gas/ Petrol into the Air-Box now? And that is why you would like to re-route them?
If they are leaking fuel, then it sounds as though the float level/ fuel level is either to high or the needle and seat for the float valve may have a piece of crud on it.
As Patton said, a "Clear Tube Test" to find the fuel level in each Carb Must be done. You can check it while the Carbs are on the bike, up on the center stand. But you may find it easier to remove them if needing adjustment. But you can get the float bowls off while the carbs are on the bike.
As for where the Drain tubes route, well they would route down to the ground, and not into the Air-Box on the later bikes. I believe Kawasaki saw the issues with having the fuel end up inside the Air-Box and changed this. I would route the drain tubes down so they can drip onto the ground. But before you do anymore Carb tuning please re-check your fuel levels, as this will effect your carb settings, rich if to high, and lean if to low.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• steelhorseangel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • ad@wildlifeartist.plus.com
More
29 Apr 2012 10:58 #518624 by steelhorseangel
Replied by steelhorseangel on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 - will crank wont start fully?
hi patton!

many thanks for the great magazine article!

it was very interesting!

doing these final tweaks is makeing eric work like a new bike!

good fortune to you my online friend! :-)

Angel

Angel
Restore, Wrench & Ride!
Brought up with Dad, brother, all riders!
Our Dad (Eric) taught us both simple mechanics
before he went to the happy hunting ground, too soon (44)
My KZ is now called Eric and he will ride and protect me!
x God Bless x

• steelhorseangel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • ad@wildlifeartist.plus.com
More
29 Apr 2012 11:17 #518628 by steelhorseangel
Replied by steelhorseangel on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 - will crank wont start fully?
hi motorhead!..

thanks for your message!..

great to hear from you!.. :-)
i balanced the carbs with a morgan carbtune 4 cyl one. it was only £45 quid!..

what a fantastic difference. the 'mechanic' that got eric started with butane in the airbox,
actually adjusted the nut/screw for number one incorrectly and this should've been mercury 22 and was actually off the scale? it's a bit strange isn't. i won't use him anymore. i've found out a lot
by reading the manual.

the carbs aren't leaking or overflowing at all. i was talking to a friend who has a similar
bike and he'd the same problem. he and i've fitted a pingel petcock to our bikes.
he mentioned that if he forgot to turn off the pingel tap, the excess fuel finds
its way into his airbox via the overflow tubes, makes a large gas puddle inside there.
he warned me about it.

i've looked at the airbox and in the past actually bought some little grommets for the overflow tubes to fit into. it's a strange set up and patton advised not to run the overflows into the airbox at all. i followed the manual to the word.

what length and type is recommended?

the only problem left is to sort out the rich mixture.
i bought a gunson carbtune. they advised me that this will sort out the correct
air/fuel mixture. what do you and the other kzr's think of this visual gadget?

eric is great to ride. it runs like a new bike and sounds good!

many thanks for your help motorhead!..

kind regards

Angel

ps: just bought a pair of gauges, throttle assembly, a gas tank, locks, seats, starter
from a usa rider, all minters. the gas tank has no rust at all on an 81?
the gauges have 13,000 on them, they look brand new. i've some part to sell for our bikes.
would they be best on this site? 1980 gauges, harneses, ignitors etc?

Angel
Restore, Wrench & Ride!
Brought up with Dad, brother, all riders!
Our Dad (Eric) taught us both simple mechanics
before he went to the happy hunting ground, too soon (44)
My KZ is now called Eric and he will ride and protect me!
x God Bless x