Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!

More
12 Oct 2011 21:34 #482814 by johnskzs
Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!! was created by johnskzs
My husband has pulled all his hair out trying to get this stupid bike going. The weather is getting cooler so I'm guessing another year we won't get any riding done!! He has worked and worked on getting his Kawasaki 1975 Z1 running. He tore it totally apart and after cleaning everything up he has rebuilt it. He fixed many problems with help from this KZrider community so he ask me to once again call on y'all for help. Under the seat on the 'V' shaped part of the frame, in front of you if you are sitting on the bike. Screwed to this metal that is welded inside of the 'V'is a piece of metal. Can anyone tell me what it is? Diagraham #1.
Secondly, I have posted a pic attachment #2. It is showing a plug, tan in color. If a small screw driver is inserted next to the black wire, the bike starts. When the screw driver is removed, the bike won't start. With a test light, the light won't light when pushed into the female part of the plug. Can anyone figure this out?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
12 Oct 2011 21:51 #482818 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!
1st picture of your metal object, thats the Rectifier. Part of your charging system, takes the ACV from the Alternator and changes it to DCV for your electrical system. It would be in circuit with the Voltage regulator.
2nd pic, I can't see the wire color, but you need to pull the connector and inspect. Probably bad terminals, is this from your wire short that was blowing fuses? most likely.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
12 Oct 2011 21:56 - 12 Oct 2011 22:00 #482819 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!
This link (from the FILEBASE) should allow opening the wiring diagram, which may help identify the components in question by colors of the wires.

www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/262-z1ab-us

The connection inside the plug may be too loose without the screw driver in there holding things tighter.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Oct 2011 22:00 by Patton.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
12 Oct 2011 22:13 #482823 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!
Jamming screwdrivers into the back of electrical conectors - thats a new diagnosis trick!

Most likely - as already said here - its just a matter of the contacts being waorn/loose/dirty and the screwdriver is just pressing them together.

Pull ALL the electrical connectors apart on the bike one by one. Properly remove each little pin connection from each connector and scrub them clean with a toothbrush and a reputable elctrical contact spray. Crimp them slightly more closed before re-assembly to make the connection nic and tight.
Shouldnt take more than a few hours and will save alot of headaches.

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
13 Oct 2011 00:40 - 13 Oct 2011 00:44 #482865 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!

Patton wrote: The connection inside the plug may be too loose without the screw driver in there holding things tighter.

Good Fortune! :)

+1 from me too. Either the wire itself is loose in the connector, or the connectors are loose in the plug (plastic housing). Should be a fairly easy fix either way. :)

EDIT: If it's the same as my bike, the only black wire I can think of is the one that comes from the start button to the starter solenoid. Could be why you are having issues in this department. (also the 1/4 coil wire on mine...but my guess is the start button wire)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 13 Oct 2011 00:44 by clutch.

More
13 Oct 2011 01:30 #482873 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!
Check the connections in the left and right handlebar switch pods, as some of the older Kawasaki's soldered connections are crumbling. Some rosin flux paste and a 25 watt soldering iron should repair it.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Oct 2011 08:52 #482898 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!
Regarding the connector; if you cannot remove the wires from the plastic shell you may want to just replace the connector. Check the links below for one that is the same as yours. Here’s how I replaced one of mine a few years ago when it had overheated (my bad): Upon careful inspection of the connector I found the wires have brass clips attached to them. These clips simply snap into the shell, but I was unable to disengage them from the shell without fear of bending or damaging them (they were very tight). So, first I took pictures of how the wires were arranged in the old connector so I could refer to them when installing the wires in the new connector. Then I used needle nose pliers and nippers to cut the connector’s plastic shell into small pieces being careful not to damage the brass clips on the ends of the wires. When I was finished cutting away the plastic shell I was left with undamaged brass clips still attached to the wires. I then just used my pictures to make sure I knew which wires belong in which holes and then pushed the clips into the new plastic shell. They snapped right into place with no problems and the result was nice new connectors. In your case once you cut away the old connector I would compare the brass clip on the wire you have the problem with to the other clips to make sure it hasn’t been bent out of shape before installing it into the plastic shell. Ed

www.hvccycle.com/electrical-connectors.html

vintageconnections.com/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Oct 2011 12:26 #482930 by johnskzs
Replied by johnskzs on topic Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!
Ok, you guys gave me some good ideas and I am going outside right now to work on this. Will get back with you later today. Thanx so much!!

More
13 Oct 2011 12:27 #482931 by johnskzs
The wire is black.

More
13 Oct 2011 12:31 #482932 by johnskzs
My computer doesn't do PDF docs. I have the online manual but it wouldn't print the wiring diagrams. I think they are protected....Thanx so much. I am going to go work on the bike today and will post back later today.

More
13 Oct 2011 12:35 #482933 by johnskzs
Did ya like my using the screwdriver 'jamming' trick? I thought about using a 9 penny nail but couldn't find one so had to settle for the screwdriver!! LOLOLOL
I been trying to get this stupid bike started for 3 durn years and if a screwdriver will finally git 'er done....well, what can I say!!! LOLOLOL Hey thanx for your info. I am going out to work on the bike today and will post back later on update.

More
13 Oct 2011 13:02 #482939 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!
hope it works out,
wiring frustrates the he!! outta me!

keep us posted,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments: